• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you think it would madness to try and take my MTB.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
.....on the train to the South Downs atm, giving the current chaos that has infected Southern? I haven't done it for ages, and I was planning on doing it this year.......

I guess I could get away with one from Hassocks, as I could use Thameslink, but as the for other destinations...........
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So no one's got an opinion then....?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
If it means motorbike, I thought those were banned on trains these days - and I'd wonder why not just ride it there anyway...?
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
"Mountain Bike" is what I read MTB as. Those are generally permitted on trains, but given Southern's current state of affairs it's a reasonable question to ask.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Mexican Tourist Board? Well, yes, assuming enough seats are available.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Mum's Teddy Bear?

As long as it isn't one of those massive bears you see being sold by Harrods at heathrow then I'm sure you will be fine ;)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
To be fair all the top results for "MTB" on Google refer to mountain bikes, and it is fairly well known.

However on this site it really should be defined the first time it's used, especially as it wasn't too obvious from the context.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Yes, MounTain Bike. Given that the term is in widespread use, and that my question was about taking it on the train to the South Downs, I didn't feel that I needed to define it.

Nevertheless, what are the opinions?
 

DasLunatic

Member
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
696
I thought the trains down there weren't fitted with Motor Trailer Buffets... even so, how would you fit a train carriage inside another carriage?
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,473
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
To be fair all the top results for "MTB" on Google refer to mountain bikes, and it is fairly well known.

However on this site it really should be defined the first time it's used, especially as it wasn't too obvious from the context.

Not all of us are from the current younger age group who are active upon this website and when I saw MTB in the thread, my first thought was that acronym that I have known for longer than I care to remember....Motor Torpedo Boat.

I see that I am not alone in this.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Not all of us are from the current younger age group who are active upon this website and when I saw MTB in the thread, my first thought was that acronym that I have known for longer than I care to remember....Motor Torpedo Boat.

I see that I am not alone in this.

What is the "current younger age group"? The term has been around for ,probably, at least the last 20 years!
 

321446

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2008
Messages
223
Location
Southend Stations
I certain circles it has. Motor Torpedo Boat has been around for something around 100 so I would argue that in other circles that is the far more widely known!!!!

Chill. We got there in the end. Always come to a clear understanding, as the saying goes!!!!
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Not all of us are from the current younger age group who are active upon this website and when I saw MTB in the thread, my first thought was that acronym that I have known for longer than I care to remember....Motor Torpedo Boat.

I see that I am not alone in this.

No you're not alone, then again I'm an old codger.


Wanders off to contemplate designing a Mountain Torpedo Boat instead... :P

But please not a Motor Torpedo Bike, cyclists are dangerous enough already
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
I've never heard of a Motor Torpedo Boat before. I will look that up now...
Certainly wasn't to me. I shouldn't really have to Google to find out......
I agree; hence why we ask that such terms are defined the first time they're used :)
 

Springs Branch

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2013
Messages
1,683
Location
Where my keyboard has no £ key
I'm also in the group who thought Motor Torpedo Boat on reading the OP's textspeak.

I wonder if the prevalence of this interpretation of MTB has anything to do with interest in a certain class of charismatic locomotives named after regiments & racehorses? Remember the Napier Deltic engine was originally developed for powering the Royal Navy's Motor Torpedo Boats.

(Briefly off topic I know, but those were the days of British engineering. "I say chaps, those Navy bods are putting a new, powerful, fast revving diesel engine into their high-speed attack vessels. Let's bolt a couple onto a loco frame and see how fast we can get it to go." Probably didn't happen like that though!)
 
Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
I'm also in the group who thought Motor Torpedo Boat on reading the OP's textspeak.

I wonder if the prevalence of this interpretation of MTB has anything to do with interest in a certain class of charismatic locomotives named after regiments & racehorses? Remember the Napier Deltic engine was originally developed for powering the Royal Navy's Motor Torpedo Boats.

(Briefly off topic I know, but those were the days of British engineering. "I say chaps, those Navy bods are putting a new, powerful, fast revving diesel engine into their high-speed attack vessels. Let's bolt a couple onto a loco frame and see how fast we can get it to go." Probably didn't happen like that though!)

What are you on about? I did not use any "text speak"...................................
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top