• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you need to scan your physical ticket if the barriers are open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modern

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
17
Location
London
I take the train really early in the morning, and the barriers are open, my ticket after being put into the machine shows as assistance needed, but no one is around, so I just walk through. It is very obviously the correct ticket and the correct station exact to the ticket description.

Wondering if this is I'm approaching it correctly.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
No need to scan an e-ticket if the gateline is open. Nor to insert a paper ticket.

The only time you do need to validate in such circumstances is if you are using pay as you go with Oyster or contactless, or any similar scheme.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,404
Location
Bedford
Absolutely fine, there's no requirement to 'validate' a ticket by putting it through a barrier in the UK.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It would be unusual for staff to be at a gateline and it be open. Though sometimes (particularly on Northern) they may ask you to scan it on a separate device that will give them more information on it than a gateline scan.
 

Tazi Hupefi

On Moderation
Joined
1 Apr 2018
Messages
1,931
Location
Nottinghamshire
I always make a point for two reasons:

1) To prove I was delayed / or the approximate time I arrived - in case of any dispute around compensation, especially if not scanned on the train. I strongly suspect, but have never conclusively proved that some automatic delay repay systems take these scans into account, especially with Avanti.

2) To avoid the kind of issues you sometimes see on the forum around investigations into journeys that always have an entry but never an exit despite the presence of barriers etc. No skin of my nose to just scan a barcode on the way out.

Some barcodes need to be scanned out always - but these are related to pay as you go or account based ticketing type schemes which I think are trialled only in some areas, and some non standard tickets not generally available to the public.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,474
Location
Somerset
I always make a point for two reasons:

1) To prove I was delayed / or the approximate time I arrived - in case of any dispute around compensation, especially if not scanned on the train. I strongly suspect, but have never conclusively proved that some automatic delay repay systems take these scans into account, especially with Avanti.

2) To avoid the kind of issues you sometimes see on the forum around investigations into journeys that always have an entry but never an exit despite the presence of barriers etc. No skin of my nose to just scan a barcode on the way out.

Some barcodes need to be scanned out always - but these are related to pay as you go or account based ticketing type schemes which I think are trialled only in some areas, and some non standard tickets not generally available to the public.
No point with CCSTs.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,722
Location
Burgess Hill
Some barcodes need to be scanned out always - but these are related to pay as you go or account based ticketing type schemes which I think are trialled only in some areas, and some non standard tickets not generally available to the public.
PAYG barcodes do not need to be scanned out. The fare is calculated using GPS information from the device being used. The barcodes are simply gate passes which should open all relevant barriers.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,099
I do find it puzzling, and a bit frustrating, when arriving at Kings Cross and the barriers have been opened to enable a large number of passengers to exit, and some still stand and hesitate/stop and scan their tickets.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top