johncrossley
Established Member
Do you leave money on the table in a restaurant? How do you know that someone else in the restaurant won't steal it, then the restaurant reports you to the police for not paying?
If I'm in a group, most of the other people pay by card nowadays unfortunately, so then the question is fairly moot as you just hand over the cash while the other people are arguing amongst themselves as to what fraction goes on what card.
However in the past when I did use cash, the way this was done was to place it on the table and make eye contact with a waiter to indicate it was there. They'd presumably collect it pretty quickly.
One needs to agree what the split will be regardless of payment method.

Incidentally - it used to be commonplace that there was a “add a tip?” option on card machines, but I can’t think when I last saw this. Am I right that it’s far less common these days, and if so why?
Thinking about it, even paying in cash by putting the cash straight into the waiter's hand isn't fool proof unless you get a receipt confirming the amount paid and the amount of change given. I only pay by card when cards are accepted and if the restaurant only accepts cash then maybe I should ask for a receipt confirming that I have actually paid.
There's one place I go where sometimes they give you the card machine showing the "add a tip" option, but other times they don't bother. Maybe they should put a contactless reader on the table for tips so it is done in a different transaction and not in such an "in your face" way.
Has something happened to you that’s caused you to ask about this?
I’d still prefer to tip in cash as I’m dubious as to where tips via card machines actually end up
Yes.Do you leave money on the table in a restaurant?
I don't.How do you know that someone else in the restaurant won't steal it,
Does this ever happen ?then the restaurant reports you to the police for not paying?
Nothing like that has happened, but the original thinking behind this thread was the result of someone paying in cash by just leaving it on the table.
Does this ever happen ?
Can you even do this in a "Mucky D" type 'Restaurant'?Do you leave money on the table in a restaurant?
Can you even do this in a Mucky D type "Restaurant"?
Arguably you should be more concerned if the tips are in cash as it is highly likely that tax won't be paid on the tips if you pay in cash
Arguably you should be more concerned if the tips are in cash as it is highly likely that tax won't be paid on the tips if you pay in cash.
Incidentally - it used to be commonplace that there was a “add a tip?” option on card machines, but I can’t think when I last saw this. Am I right that it’s far less common these days, and if so why?
You can't do it in most pubs that sell food either.
I find this to be quite easy when paying cash and no-one else is. I've remembered how much the things I ordered were, add a tip, put that amount of cash in the centre of the table and then sit back and tune out the next 5 or 10 minutes of everyone else trying to work out how to split the remainder![]()
Paying before you eat is increasingly common - easier if not paying together and you can't walk off without paying. And often the cost of waitstaff is reduced by having you order on your phone or at the bar.
You can ask to pay when your food is served.I've seen this is in Stonehouse Restaurants (formerly Crown Carvery) but the very slightly more upmarket Toby Carvery wants you to pay at the waiter at the end of your meal. These budget chains are almost indistinguishable apart from that and are both brands of Mitchells & Butlers. Does pay in advance exist in more "proper" restaurants? I'd rather pay in advance, primarily so I can leave quickly. If there is a problem with the food then in the cases where you might get money off the meal they can refund your card.
You can ask to pay when your food is served.
Does pay in advance exist in more "proper" restaurants?
Are there really any restaurants that are cash only these days?Thinking about it, even paying in cash by putting the cash straight into the waiter's hand isn't fool proof unless you get a receipt confirming the amount paid and the amount of change given. I only pay by card when cards are accepted and if the restaurant only accepts cash then maybe I should ask for a receipt confirming that I have actually paid.
Are there really any restaurants that are cash only these days?