Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
They all look really nice - the 91s are some of my favourite engines. I don't know why!
Here's mine to add to the mix. The top of the pantograph (the fancy bit that connects with the wires) is a bit wonky but it's easily put back upright.
View attachment 89341
It's an old Hornby model and came with a DVT and 2 Mk4s in the same livery from eBay for around £60 total late last year. My only criticism of the model is that it doesn't have a coupling on the pointy end to allow for blunt-end running, but it's a fairly small issue and maybe something the new Hornby ones will correct?
Thanks! Nice that’s a good deal you got there! I have bought most of mine from eBay, and yes I agree! I’m hoping the release date doesn’t get pushed back again for the new Hornby ones as I’m starting to get inpatient for them
Thanks! Nice that’s a good deal you got there! I have bought most of mine from eBay, and yes I agree! I’m hoping the release date doesn’t get pushed back again for the new Hornby ones as I’m starting to get inpatient for them
You're very welcome - and thanks
There were a few different versions of the 91 on eBay when I looked but the one I went for stood out as it has the white skirt at the front, which I think just finishes it off. I'd like to get one of the new Hornby ones at some point but probably not for a while as I've got so many other things to buy!
You're very welcome - and thanks
There were a few different versions of the 91 on eBay when I looked but the one I went for stood out as it has the white skirt at the front, which I think just finishes it off. I'd like to get one of the new Hornby ones at some point but probably not for a while as I've got so many other things to buy!
Yeah I agree, the ones with the white skirts seem to be the newer older hornby versions (if that makes sense) as they also have the working pantograph where as the ones with the black skirt have the moulded pantograph.
They all look really nice - the 91s are some of my favourite engines. I don't know why!
Here's mine to add to the mix. The top of the pantograph (the fancy bit that connects with the wires) is a bit wonky but it's easily put back upright.
View attachment 89341
It's an old Hornby model and came with a DVT and 2 Mk4s in the same livery from eBay for around £60 total late last year. My only criticism of the model is that it doesn't have a coupling on the pointy end to allow for blunt-end running, but it's a fairly small issue and maybe something the new Hornby ones will correct?
That's definitely the consensus from what I've read and watched. Shame that they didn't get to do what they were originally designed to do (that being WCML running, freight and sleepers at night, etc.), but hey ho.
The Hornby one is nowhere near as good as modern versions, no, and it has some issues and little bits where it could be a bit better; that's for certain. I'm quite happy with it and it makes semi-regular appearances on the Oldmoor - London express, with no overhead wires anywhere near
The Hornby one is nowhere near as good as modern versions, no, and it has some issues and little bits where it could be a bit better; that's for certain. I'm quite happy with it and it makes semi-regular appearances on the Oldmoor - London express, with no overhead wires anywhere near
Apologies @reddragon but I've forgotten - you have seperate thread for your railway don't you? I can't seem to find it. Probably overlooking it somehow.
Edit: I should add I would be interested to see your progress hence my asking
Apologies @reddragon but I've forgotten - you have seperate thread for your railway don't you? I can't seem to find it. Probably overlooking it somehow.
Edit: I should add I would be interested to see your progress hence my asking
I have now started the construction of a S&C style viaduct. Modelled on Arten Gill / Dent Head viaducts but 4 tracks, curved and only 4 spans - 4 feet long . 2 feet high. I have never done anything remotely scratch build before. I am good with wood, but not with detail or scenery so lets see...
www.railforums.co.uk
Its a pain since the daft rule come in that you can only Edit threads grrr @Cowley !!!
I have now started the construction of a S&C style viaduct. Modelled on Arten Gill / Dent Head viaducts but 4 tracks, curved and only 4 spans - 4 feet long . 2 feet high. I have never done anything remotely scratch build before. I am good with wood, but not with detail or scenery so lets see...
www.railforums.co.uk
Its a pain since the daft rule come in that you can only Edit threads grrr @Cowley !!!
I have now started the construction of a S&C style viaduct. Modelled on Arten Gill / Dent Head viaducts but 4 tracks, curved and only 4 spans - 4 feet long . 2 feet high. I have never done anything remotely scratch build before. I am good with wood, but not with detail or scenery so lets see...
www.railforums.co.uk
Its a pain since the daft rule come in that you can only Edit threads grrr @Cowley !!!
That looks worth investigating do you have a layout thread I can browse through?
edit oh ouch the quote did not carry...32475.
when you press quote I do not seem to have got the knack of typing in the right place to quote the post in question can some one please help....i swear I’m brunette and not blonde lol
That looks worth investigating do you have a layout thread I can browse through?
edit oh ouch the quote did not carry...32475.
when you press quote I do not seem to have got the knack of typing in the right place to quote the post in question can some one please help....i swear I’m brunette and not blonde lol
That looks worth investigating do you have a layout thread I can browse through?
edit oh ouch the quote did not carry...32475.
when you press quote I do not seem to have got the knack of typing in the right place to quote the post in question can some one please help....i swear I’m brunette and not blonde lol
That looks worth investigating do you have a layout thread I can browse through?
edit oh ouch the quote did not carry...32475.
when you press quote I do not seem to have got the knack of typing in the right place to quote the post in question can some one please help....i swear I’m brunette and not blonde lol
32475 reporting! I don’t have a separate thread if that’s what you’re looking for. I’ve simply posted some occasional photos over the past few months which is a good reminder to put some more on soon. As a sideline I’ve also written up a short history of my fictional line which is the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway (HK&ER). Watch this space for further updates and thanks for the interest.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Today I've had a bit of fun, not actually modelling but finishing off a short write-up about my fictional line, the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway HK&ER. It was such fun to do that I 'commend it to the House' - in other words if you are modelling a fictional line, it's great to use your imagination about how and when it was built. In time I'll add some fictional photos, tickets etc to enhance the document but in the meantime, here is a first draft.....
I should add that the whole concept of my model is based on the novel 'Cold Comfort Farm' by Stella Gibbons published in 1932. Strictly speaking, the location of Howling should be a bit further south in the vicinity of the South Downs so if you know the book I hope you'll forgive me!
32475 reporting! I don’t have a separate thread if that’s what you’re looking for. I’ve simply posted some occasional photos over the past few months which is a good reminder to put some more on soon. As a sideline I’ve also written up a short history of my fictional line which is the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway (HK&ER). Watch this space for further updates and thanks for the interest.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Today I've had a bit of fun, not actually modelling but finishing off a short write-up about my fictional line, the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway HK&ER. It was such fun to do that I 'commend it to the House' - in other words if you are modelling a fictional line, it's great to use your imagination about how and when it was built. In time I'll add some fictional photos, tickets etc to enhance the document but in the meantime, here is a first draft.....
I should add that the whole concept of my model is based on the novel 'Cold Comfort Farm' by Stella Gibbons published in 1932. Strictly speaking, the location of Howling should be a bit further south in the vicinity of the South Downs so if you know the book I hope you'll forgive me!
It was a line that never really changed, it is going to be 1930s. The N10 never ran on the line as far as I know, so i'm going to build a Y7 which was common on the line.
There is a you tube posting of a oo layout of the line and a pathe film, there never was a station at Bamburgh. Lord Armstrong would have like one , but never materialised as it is to far from the track.
Well I’ve just had my first attempt at static grass and after a bit of effort I started to get the hang of it. It’s harder to make it look realistic in N gauge and I think I’m going to give it a trim with my beard trimmer when it’s dry before hoovering any excess off.
I sieved some dried soil from the garden and used it here and there to give some different texture too.
When I first did it it looked proper gaudy so I sprayed over it with the airbrush using a thinned down earthy colour and it definitely helped.
I’m sure an expert would have a fit but I’m not an expert!
Here you go:
Ah lockdown heaven today.
I managed to gather together some chipboard, screws, wiring and enough track to cobble together a temporary return loop for the railway.
I used every single spare bit of track for it but it’s been lovely watching the trains go round and doing a bit of shunting this afternoon.
Also nice contours we initially had some not flat but strange contours until we changed to foam when ours upgraded enormously
still a work in progress but the foam slopes are just so much easier
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Having the brown soil colour first really works well with the static grass nice work,my first attempt I painted the ‘ground’ green it looked awful.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Also nice contours we initially had some not flat but strange contours until we changed to foam when ours upgraded enormously View attachment 90167 View attachment 90168
still a work in progress but the foam slopes are just so much easier
Well, a P2 can only manage about 75mph and as for the W1 it performed pretty poorly, was a bad steamer and not very free-running at speed; so -personally I think an A4 is an a A4 on steroids!
Well, a P2 can only manage about 75mph and as for the W1 it performed pretty poorly, was a bad steamer and not very free-running at speed; so -personally I think an A4 is an a A4 on steroids!
The P2 was and will be the most powerful UK steam loco ever built excluding the one off U1 Garratt. Top speed was not its thing but it pulled the heaviest trains known over Scottish mountain passes unmatched by later steam or diesel haulage.
The W1 when rebuilt matched A4 timings with ease and was the drivers favourite. Firemen hated it not only for its hunger for coal, but the distance from the bunker to firebox!
I have both on order, P2 2007 and W1 streamlined in Garter blue
Well, a P2 can only manage about 75mph and as for the W1 it performed pretty poorly, was a bad steamer and not very free-running at speed; so -personally I think an A4 is an a A4 on steroids!
The P2 was and will be the most powerful UK steam loco ever built excluding the one off U1 Garratt. Top speed was not its thing but it pulled the heaviest trains known over Scottish mountain passes unmatched by later steam or diesel haulage.
The W1 when rebuilt matched A4 timings with ease and was the drivers favourite. Firemen hated it not only for its hunger for coal, but the distance from the bunker to firebox!
I have both on order, P2 2007 and W1 streamlined in Garter blue
The location yes, but not the whole run even in 00 we are half way down our field! O for the whole run would definitely take a lot of space.
Just over a couple of miles for the record distance at 1:76 (00) 1 mile=1600 so 2=3200m div by 76.2=41.99metres.Our whole bungalow is around 30m so just not possible.
The location yes, but not the whole run even in 00 we are half way down our field! O for the whole run would definitely take a lot of space.
Just over a couple of miles for the record distance at 1:76 (00) 1 mile=1600 so 2=3200m div by 76.2=41.99metres.Our whole bungalow is around 30m so just not possible.
The P2 was and will be the most powerful UK steam loco ever built excluding the one off U1 Garratt. Top speed was not its thing but it pulled the heaviest trains known over Scottish mountain passes unmatched by later steam or diesel haulage.
The W1 when rebuilt matched A4 timings with ease and was the drivers favourite. Firemen hated it not only for its hunger for coal, but the distance from the bunker to firebox!
I have both on order, P2 2007 and W1 streamlined in Garter blue
I cannot fault the P2s for power, they were designed to be able to haul full length Anglo-Scottish WCML trains north of Edinburgh to Aberdeen which has a stiff graded and tightly curved southern section. They handled that no problem, but there were issues with wheel wear because of the long wheelbase and coal consumption as I understand it.
I will be interested to see the two rebuilds perform though.
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.