• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
I’m going to do a small coffee table (3’ x 2’) layout/working diorama to keep me sane whilst in lockdown. Baseboard arriving this week and cork delivered today. Peco Setrack to keep things simple.

It’s going to be a small yard loosely based on Arpley Sidings. I’ve got a 68, the Europhoenix 37 and a Hornby 66 to get me going.

Scalemodelscenery have got some fantastic bits of detailing I’ll be adding after fairly heavy weathering of track and ballast (given it’s a yard). Couple of Train-Tech signals. Hoping to achieve something similar to Junction Road TMD (photos on Facebook and YouTube).
Sounds great Tom. I was having a look at photos of Junction Road online just then and saw this:
1F2AD67E-8C13-495E-91F7-48DDCEACBB9A.jpeg
(A couple of 31s stabled with the driver chatting to a shunter)

I really like depot scenes with everything weathered and dirty.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2019
Messages
4,427
Location
Cheshire
Sounds great Tom. I was having a look at photos of Junction Road online just then and saw this:
View attachment 76249
(A couple of 31s stabled with the driver chatting to a shunter)

I really like depot scenes with everything weathered and dirty.

Yeah same. He’s really achieved a fantastic amount in a small space and the level of detail really makes it a brilliant layout.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Gawd. I’ve just blown around a hundred quid on a static grass applicator, some grass, glue and various other things.
I’ve not tried this method before so I hope I’ve bought the right stuff.

If you hear any shouting coming from a westerly direction that’ll probably be me...
 

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2019
Messages
4,427
Location
Cheshire
Gawd. I’ve just blown around a hundred quid on a static grass applicator, some grass, glue and various other things.
I’ve not tried this method before so I hope I’ve bought the right stuff.

If you hear any shouting coming from a westerly direction that’ll probably be me...

Which one have you bought?
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Gawd. I’ve just blown around a hundred quid on a static grass applicator, some grass, glue and various other things.
I’ve not tried this method before so I hope I’ve bought the right stuff.

If you hear any shouting coming from a westerly direction that’ll probably be me...

Good luck with that Cowley, I've seen videos of people doing static grass and I'm not sure it looks difficult as such more a bit messy and perhaps frustrating.

I'm sure once you get the hang of it that westerly shouting will die down ;)
 

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2019
Messages
4,427
Location
Cheshire
Good luck with that Cowley, I've seen videos of people doing static grass and I'm not sure it looks difficult as such more a bit messy and perhaps frustrating.

I'm sure once you get the hang of it that westerly shouting will die down ;)

I watched a few videos before jumping into it, and found New Junction’s most useful -
.

The WWS system is great.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
I watched a few videos before jumping into it, and found New Junction’s most useful -
.

The WWS system is great.

That was certainly one of the ones I've looked at. A number of their videos are quite helpful with various aspects of building a layout; there was one about modelling trees and one to do with ballasting and so on, all very useful
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Which one have you bought?
It’s this Wargames power applicator thingy:
238210B1-A66D-4110-8572-4264F03E9B99.png

And I’ve bought various different grasses including some WWS stuff.
I’ll do a bit of practice and if I need to spend more on an applicator then I’ll sell it and upgrade.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
That was certainly one of the ones I've looked at. A number of their videos are quite helpful with various aspects of building a layout; there was one about modelling trees and one to do with ballasting and so on, all very useful
I’ll have a look at that later. Honestly there’s so much information about that I just overloaded my brain in the end. :lol:
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
I’ll have a look at that later. Honestly there’s so much information about that I just overloaded my brain in the end. :lol:

Oh that's easy to do, certainly still being mostly in the planning stages, there is so much to try and decide on it does your head in!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,717
Location
West Riding
@Iskra on baseboards, it appears that DIY/hardware stores are classed as "essential" services (along with dry-cleaners, which surprised me but that's off topic) so I guess if you also need some lightbulbs you could probably justify a trip out!

I enquired over the phone with my local DIY shop and they weren't able to offer anything suitable. I have managed to secure some custom-made over the internet though at a fairly reasonable price so I'm sorted, but they could take a while to arrive.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,689
You've managed to get a good balance I think with your buildings, it looks built-up like a town would be without seeming unduly cluttered and stuffed.
Thank you very much. It is all just a bit spontaneous arrangements and see what looks the best.
Anyway here is 43185 waiting to depart to London with 43005 on the rear in platform 2. The pain baseboard area will eventually become a parkland area.
IMG_20200410_080235.jpg
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Thank you very much. It is all just a bit spontaneous arrangements and see what looks the best.
Anyway here is 43185 waiting to depart to London with 43005 on the rear in platform 2. The pain baseboard area will eventually become a parkland area.
View attachment 76409
There’s something a bit Penzance about that.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Thank you very much. It is all just a bit spontaneous arrangements and see what looks the best.
Anyway here is 43185 waiting to depart to London with 43005 on the rear in platform 2. The pain baseboard area will eventually become a parkland area.
View attachment 76409

Looking good, reminds me a bit of the Dawlish sea wall with the raised track and retaining wall, interesting to see how it develops...
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,689
There’s something a bit Penzance about that.
Being a slightly western region themed layout that is good to here. The timetable for the layout is based of Penzance to allow for a range of trains running but I never thought about it when building the wall or the station roof.
Looking good, reminds me a bit of the Dawlish sea wall with the raised track and retaining wall, interesting to see how it develops...
It is a bit although I wouldn't want to fly though this version at 60mph! I think I will start a new topic for my updates.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Being a slightly western region themed layout that is good to here. The timetable for the layout is based of Penzance to allow for a range of trains running but I never thought about it when building the wall or the station roof.

It is a bit although I wouldn't want to fly though this version at 60mph! I think I will start a new topic for my updates.
We lived in Cornwall for a while when I was little in the late 1970s and my dad worked in Penzance so we used to go there quite often and tended to park near the station.
I remember so vividly looking over the wall overlooking the station and seeing class 45s, 46s, 47s, 50s etc sitting around stabled or waiting to depart.
I’ve always loved the station and if I was ever going to do a terminus I think that’d be the one.
 

Peter Kelford

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2017
Messages
903
Looking good, reminds me a bit of the Dawlish sea wall with the raised track and retaining wall, interesting to see how it develops...
Me too.
We lived in Cornwall for a while when I was little in the late 1970s and my dad worked in Penzance so we used to go there quite often and tended to park near the station.
I remember so vividly looking over the wall overlooking the station and seeing class 45s, 46s, 47s, 50s etc sitting around stabled or waiting to depart.
I’ve always loved the station and if I was ever going to do a terminus I think that’d be the one.
I thought that too until I saw that there was no overall roof.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,689
We lived in Cornwall for a while when I was little in the late 1970s and my dad worked in Penzance so we used to go there quite often and tended to park near the station.
I remember so vividly looking over the wall overlooking the station and seeing class 45s, 46s, 47s, 50s etc sitting around stabled or waiting to depart.
I’ve always loved the station and if I was ever going to do a terminus I think that’d be the one.
I can't say anything much as I've only been to Penzance once and that was just to go on the sleeper and then we were back on the first service back towards Exeter. Never knew peaks ventured that far south. I thought they were mainly a resident of the MML.
Me too.

I thought that too until I saw that there was no overall roof.
There is a small roof at the end but not over all the platforms to the ceiling. I didn't want to extend a long way out just in case I wanted to detach an engine.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Well I’ve been doing a few bits and bobs (when I’ve not been doing full scale house renovations).
Tonight I was working on my river, and I must say that it was a very relaxing bit of time spent:

1F587A6C-2392-40CF-BA2F-12AE849F223C.jpeg

Basically I sprayed the riverbed sprayed dark brown a few weeks ago, then the banks I painted in Mig acrylic ‘Earth’ colour, and then a couple of coats of yacht varnish with some ballast carefully sprinkled on while the varnish was still wet to create the stony areas that you get in rivers/streams...
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Well I’ve been doing a few bits and bobs (when I’ve not been doing full scale house renovations).
Tonight I was working on my river, and I must say that it was a very relaxing bit of time spent:

View attachment 76556

Basically I sprayed the riverbed sprayed dark brown a few weeks ago, then the banks I painted in Mig acrylic ‘Earth’ colour, and then a couple of coats of yacht varnish with some ballast carefully sprinkled on while the varnish was still wet to create the stony areas that you get in rivers/streams...

Very much looks the part! Is the water itself just varnish or something else or a combination thereof?
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Very much looks the part! Is the water itself just varnish or something else or a combination thereof?
Thanks :). Yes just a bit of Albany yacht varnish (not water based) that I had in the shed. I’ll probably do one more coat in a bit (avoiding the stones).
I think because the scale is so small and it’s only a stream you can get away with it. If it was double the size I’d have probably gone for resin.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Thanks :). Yes just a bit of Albany yacht varnish (not water based) that I had in the shed. I’ll probably do one more coat in a bit (avoiding the stones).
I think because the scale is so small and it’s only a stream you can get away with it. If it was double the size I’d have probably gone for resin.

Thanks Cowley, it's given me an idea to include a small stream with a short low bridge over, or something similar
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,362
Location
Yorkshire
Latest on my slowly developing plans: my "starter set" arrived this afternoon so I've spent the day familiarising myself with DCC and retraining myself on connecting track pieces together... I didn't remember how fiddly it is at first!

The set is a little disappointing in and of itself due to both locos and wagons being very toy-like, but the Select controller is easy to use and having two locos right from the start is useful for getting to grips with DCC. My older brother has promised to provide me with a bit of track to be going on with, as he's busy renovating his house. Just awaiting the arrival of my 108 so that I don't feel like a big kid!

I'm constantly brainstorming new ideas though: currently toying with the idea of modelling Bradford on Tone: a fictional GWR station that never was, with a freight branch (possibly in OO9) to the Cider company!

The station would be close to the level crossing that really exists, which in true GWR fashion is some distance from the village it's named for!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Latest on my slowly developing plans: my "starter set" arrived this afternoon so I've spent the day familiarising myself with DCC and retraining myself on connecting track pieces together... I didn't remember how fiddly it is at first!

The set is a little disappointing in and of itself due to both locos and wagons being very toy-like, but the Select controller is easy to use and having two locos right from the start is useful for getting to grips with DCC. My older brother has promised to provide me with a bit of track to be going on with, as he's busy renovating his house. Just awaiting the arrival of my 108 so that I don't feel like a big kid!

I'm constantly brainstorming new ideas though: currently toying with the idea of modelling Bradford on Tone: a fictional GWR station that never was, with a freight branch (possibly in OO9) to the Cider company!

The station would be close to the level crossing that really exists, which in true GWR fashion is some distance from the village it's named for!
Evening sir.

What set did you end up getting?
I’m wondering if there’s any way of weathering/detailing some of it to turn some of them into models rather than toys?
I’ve got a few sneaky tips that might help. :)

I like the layout ideas by the way...
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,362
Location
Yorkshire
Evening sir.

What set did you end up getting?
I’m wondering if there’s any way of weathering/detailing some of it to turn some of them into models rather than toys?
I’ve got a few sneaky tips that might help. :)

I like the layout ideas by the way...
It's the Hornby "Mixed Traffic" set, which is currently the only DCC set they offer as far as I can tell. The name itself makes my pedantic side twitch, as it was supplied with just 4 freight wagons and no passenger vehicles! The locos are a bright red 08 shunter of a dated tooling, and a GWR Pannier tank which is a bit more detailed than the 08. Both are pretty basic though, with no glazing on either.

Doing some sort of detailing work on them is certainly possible, but I need to get my modelling fingers back up to speed before attempting anything like that.
That's also why any delving into OO9 will also be further down the line, no pun intended!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
It's the Hornby "Mixed Traffic" set, which is currently the only DCC set they offer as far as I can tell. The name itself makes my pedantic side twitch, as it was supplied with just 4 freight wagons and no passenger vehicles! The locos are a bright red 08 shunter of a dated tooling, and a GWR Pannier tank which is a bit more detailed than the 08. Both are pretty basic though, with no glazing on either.

Doing some sort of detailing work on them is certainly possible, but I need to get my modelling fingers back up to speed before attempting anything like that.
That's also why any delving into OO9 will also be further down the line, no pun intended!
I just looked up your set and I can see that the 08 and the Pannier Tank are definitely quite old models repackaged as an entry level way of getting into DCC.
Two things about that - The Pannier is quite a nice model but has an open cab which is an old (pre war?) design, and the 08 doesn’t have outside frames which makes it look a bit toy-like.

They’re both really rugged models though, so if you wanted to add some extra detail at some point (once you’ve got your eye in again), they’ll be really forgiving because they‘re made of tough plastic. They’ll probably prove to be really useful in the long run because you can practice your skills on them.

I tell you what though, I had a Bachmann 108 a few years ago that I recently sold when I went for the gauge change and it’ll blow your mind. It’s such a lovely model.
I recently got the N gauge version and had it professionally weathered.
God I love a DMU!

C2A2C01D-E826-4D15-A0D0-3F297A48BF9F.jpeg
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Had an idea for a layout for quite some time. Which is the old Westward Ho! Line if it was still around today.

Just decision on 00 or N gauge. Only one single staight line so not to complex but lot of scenery to build.

I need as much help as possible guys. Im useless.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,362
Location
Yorkshire
I just looked up your set and I can see that the 08 and the Pannier Tank are definitely quite old models repackaged as an entry level way of getting into DCC.
Two things about that - The Pannier is quite a nice model but has an open cab which is an old (pre war?) design, and the 08 doesn’t have outside frames which makes it look a bit toy-like.

They’re both really rugged models though, so if you wanted to add some extra detail at some point (once you’ve got your eye in again), they’ll be really forgiving because they‘re made of tough plastic. They’ll probably prove to be really useful in the long run because you can practice your skills on them.

I tell you what though, I had a Bachmann 108 a few years ago that I recently sold when I went for the gauge change and it’ll blow your mind. It’s such a lovely model.
I recently got the N gauge version and had it professionally weathered.
God I love a DMU!

View attachment 76602
That's some impressive weathering there! One of the locos from back in the day that my brother and I had was a Mainline 56 in Railfreight grey which was beautifully weathered. Problem was it had a tendency to derail easily, though my brother managed to fettle it a few years ago and also fitted a decoder, so I may be getting it on loan for a bit. I've also ordered some baseboards but they'll not be here for a few weeks.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,362
Location
Yorkshire
That's really good, it just looks so quintessentially like a country pub really! I reckon I'd want one to do an Irish layout justice, no? ;)

(Or maybe five, can't have ebiugh watering holes can you? :lol:)

I've made some progress myself, at least as regards the planning. I also found some stock I forgot I had! 8-)
The prize for "most appropriate typo" goes to you!
Reminds me of a card model pub my uncle had on his layout: "The Fleeece" :lol:
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
The prize for "most appropriate typo" goes to you!
Reminds me of a card model pub my uncle had on his layout: "The Fleeece" :lol:

Oh dear, well I can honestly say I did not have a drop of the brown stuff before typing that, it's purely a typo from rushing!

Though it would be appropriate enough to have some Guinness barrels lying about on the platform perhaps...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top