• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you ever visit Nightclubs? I need help with some research...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
****Please note that I have now edited this post to remove the request and survey URL as I have now exceeded the required number of responses (200) and am taking the survey down, thanks to everybody for helping out with this****

If you are new to this thread and are wondering what it was about, it was a request to anybody who visits nightclub to complete an online survey about influences that impact upon nightclub visitation.

Cheers

Stu.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Hi All, I REALLY need your help with some research I am doing into nightclubs and nightclub promotion.
Why? How is "our" help going to meet your needs with night club promotion?
That's a very odd statement.
What's the problem?
IT WILL ONLY TAKE 5 TO 6 MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE TO COMPLETE THIS, and will make a HUGE difference to the results. Thanks so much for completing it – I really, really do appreciate it.
I've got no intention of going through all those classifying little tick-boxes. I, and hundreds of other people, have many year/decades of experience in running, programming, booking and marketing in venues, and can tell you that this isn't going to help one little bit; - but it is exactly the sort of nonsense that somone who has never worked in the industry comes up with almost ever week (except at holiday time when we really need specific fresh market info). Many many companies have produced much more useful analyses than this survey could provide. So what is the point of this?
There's even thorough research into non-attendance at venues, in urban and rural areas, which is what promoters really need to know about. But why should anyone on here bother (when its so clearly not going to inform any leisure operator or regulatory body with anything of value)?

So I ask again, what's this "I REALLY need your help"? What trouble are you in?
I don't mean to be harsh, but this just isn't answering any of the questions that need an answer.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I don't think there is a science to promotion, you just use every means at your disposal (and within your budget) to get the word out.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Why? How is "our" help going to meet your needs with night club promotion?
That's a very odd statement.
What's the problem?

I've got no intention of going through all those classifying little tick-boxes. I, and hundreds of other people, have many year/decades of experience in running, programming, booking and marketing in venues, and can tell you that this isn't going to help one little bit; - but it is exactly the sort of nonsense that somone who has never worked in the industry comes up with almost ever week (except at holiday time when we really need specific fresh market info). Many many companies have produced much more useful analyses than this survey could provide. So what is the point of this?
There's even thorough research into non-attendance at venues, in urban and rural areas, which is what promoters really need to know about. But why should anyone on here bother (when its so clearly not going to inform any leisure operator or regulatory body with anything of value)?

So I ask again, what's this "I REALLY need your help"? What trouble are you in?
I don't mean to be harsh, but this just isn't answering any of the questions that need an answer.


i think if you looked at the URL its a website as part of a university, so i'd imagine there is a dissertation on the subject, and he just needs x number of people to complete the survey, his dissertation obviously needs so much research and just requires people to complete the survey to help towards his research side of his degree, try being helpful and use some common sense, look at thefact its a distictive .ac.uk URL gives away the university dissertation bit away,maybe look at these things before making such negative comments,
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,577
Location
Macclesfield
Just filled one in as well, hopefully it'll have submitted properly, having some problems with the work computers :roll:
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
i think if you looked at the URL its a website as part of a university, so i'd imagine there is a dissertation on the subject, and he just needs x number of people to complete the survey, his dissertation obviously needs so much research and just requires people to complete the survey to help towards his research side of his degree, try being helpful and use some common sense, look at thefact its a distictive .ac.uk URL gives away the university dissertation bit away,maybe look at these things before making such negative comments,
Yes, I realised that the OP was likely be seeking assistance with a university project (and if they'd explained that and asked, rather than "I REALLY NEED", then I wouldn't have replied so sharply).

I apologise if I gave offence. My post meant to actually include some helpful and relevant information but I see that the tone of my reply was more challenging than constructive. Sorry.
 

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
Only just seen responses, yes it is for a Thesis, it is one research tool in a triangulation strategy, along with interviews with promoters, and an exercise in flyer harvesting (and categorisation). Academically this is a vastly under-researched area.

I emphasised REALLY and NEED as I need 200 nightclub visitors to respond for the survey findings to be deemed valid, the expected response rate for web surveys is only 1%!

Hope that explains, by the way I'm on 141 responses so far so it seems to be going well.

Thanks to everybody who has submitted.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Probably a hard thing to do if conducting it on the streets when people are going into nightclubs I bet! Just an idea, which you may have already thought of, but you could send emails to different university student unions and see if they would be willing to send an email around, I get a few every week from different departments asking for people to fill in surveys.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
It's not the OPs fault, but lets face it, the idea that most of the population can spend around 2 decades in education, and do nothing relevant to real life, then spend only 4 decades working, and then spend 3 decades getting a pension, is just totally unrealistic. While some university courses are essential (e.g. if you are going to become a Doctor), there are just far too many university courses on all sorts of things doing research that is all fine in theory but falls down when it comes to reality...
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Alas, the only time I ever seem to go to nightclubs now is on stag weekends so I won't spoil your results ;) From memory though, I seem to remember the music was poor, the booze horrendous and in the Majestic in Leeds I used to stick to the floor :| Bondi Beach bar was good though :)
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
It's not the OPs fault, but lets face it, the idea that most of the population can spend around 2 decades in education, and do nothing relevant to real life, then spend only 4 decades working, and then spend 3 decades getting a pension, is just totally unrealistic. While some university courses are essential (e.g. if you are going to become a Doctor), there are just far too many university courses on all sorts of things doing research that is all fine in theory but falls down when it comes to reality...
I you mean what I think you mean, then YES! I fully agree.

It's sad, but not too important, that people tend not to have basic skills (such as how to grow wheat, tell direction from the sky, improve drainage, arrest blood loss, translate languages, aid a child birth, help with a heart attack, estimate probablility, make pastry, budgetting, etc) but it does seem important when people don't even know what skills would be involved in these, and don't understand the principles. Its only by applying sound principles that the more sophisticated choices we make have meaningful outcomes.

As for club promotion, there are good resources on the web and Promoters' Workshops are run across the country from time to time - but the aspect which most new promoters fall down on is simply proper budgetting. No, its not rocket-science, but you need a very very quick sense of arithmetic relations, especially percentages, ratios and margins. Its too easy to fail, which is why the long-standng promoters are still going strong despite their willingness to explain everything they do whenever they're asked. If you can't see the profit/loss point instantly in a particular scenario then you're not a promoter.

Conversely, the biggest barrier to attending a night isn't cost, awareness, the name, the decor. Its confidence. If punters are not very confident that they will have a good night and confident that their friends will too, then they are less likely to go. (That came from wide-ranging research into non-attendance).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top