Elecman
Established Member
Blame the NIMBYS for all the extra expensive tunnelsYes but does it have to be so bloody expensive?
Blame the NIMBYS for all the extra expensive tunnelsYes but does it have to be so bloody expensive?
Well if passenger numbers remain considerably reduced and if rail industry finances don't recover then I'd have thought sooner or later someone will ask why we need three mainlines between London and Birmingham, is the Chiltern line in it's current form still necessary.
Closure.Closure, 2nd service or 2nd service extension?
It'd be better for everyone if the Chiltern's 'Mainline' service were more focused on providing capacity for Leamington Spa, Banbury and Bicester anyway frankly. But that would require fast trains between the West Midlands and London Euston to focus on greater load, which might risk losing cash. I'd say I hope we could move to focusing on more effective capacity management rather than revenue management, but I doubt it.Well if passenger numbers remain considerably reduced and if rail industry finances don't recover then I'd have thought sooner or later someone will ask why we need three mainlines between London and Birmingham, is the Chiltern line in it's current form still necessary.
Exactly, but we will see an increase in people working from home some days of the week. This in turn means people prepared to live further from where they work, which means an increase in longer distance travel (at the expense of shorter distance travel).Personally I'm of the opinion that the idea that more people will choose to work from home from now on and thus all capacity issues on infrastructure has been automatically solved is a bit short sighted. Personally a lot of the people I know are tiring of working from home and now want to return to the office asap, the work/home balance is wearing thin, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for a lot of people too.
I doubt it would have been that much cheaper, and we really need to obliterate the domestic air market, as other countries are successfully doingWe needed a new railway to increase overall North/South capacity. Personally I am not convinced that it needed to be a mega-expensive high speed line. Building a line with specification for speeds of around 125 mph could have been a lot cheaper than building HS2.
On the contrary HS2 will allow such services to focus better on the intermediate stations.And I predict zero chance that Marylebone to Birmingham services will be allowed to cease. There is too much traffic to intermediate stations to risk losing.
They tried that in the 1970s and singled it.....in fact I think they came close to shutting it as a "duplicate route"Well if passenger numbers remain considerably reduced and if rail industry finances don't recover then I'd have thought sooner or later someone will ask why we need three mainlines between London and Birmingham, is the Chiltern line in it's current form still necessary.
Nothing is stopping you using it like that today. Chiltern's service isn't a sentient being. Pretty much every service stops at Leamington and Banbury, and most at Bicester.It'd be better for everyone if the Chiltern's 'Mainline' service were more focused on providing capacity for Leamington Spa, Banbury and Bicester anyway frankly. But that would require fast trains between the West Midlands and London Euston to focus on greater load, which might risk losing cash. I'd say I hope we could move to focusing on more effective capacity management rather than revenue management, but I doubt it.
For journeys between Birmingham and London, no, not at all. For journeys between the intermediate stations, yes.is the Chiltern line in it's current form still necessary.
By the same token, why do we need the M6 toll road? It carries considerably less traffic than the M6 proper, but nobody will shout for a road closure. Neither will people shout “oh but why can’t we just upgrade the existing motorway network?”Well if passenger numbers remain considerably reduced and if rail industry finances don't recover then I'd have thought sooner or later someone will ask why we need three mainlines between London and Birmingham, is the Chiltern line in it's current form still necessary.
Oh without a doubt, there would be people howling at the moon for it to return!As a thought experiment: imagine that one of the various Victorian enterprises had built some vaguely-passable goat-track along the current HS2 alignment. It is never particularly productive and is finally put out of its misery by Doctor Beeching. How many members here would argue for its re-opening?
Well because its in private hands?By the same token, why do we need the M6 toll road? It carries considerably less traffic than the M6 proper, but nobody will shout for a road closure.
Well because its in private hands?
It's not really the Government's business if it stays open or not.
As to HS2 - reduction in railway income/traffic makes HS2 more essential if anything else.
It is considerably cheaper to operate HS2 than keep people on conventional railways.
There are serious rationalisations to the WCML that could be carried forward once it is operational to help stem the operational losses.
And chiltern can go back to doing sensible things rather than pretending to be an intercity railway to Birmingham
It is quite amusing that HS2 veers off said goat track at exactly the spot where it ended and trains had to run 50 miles along the metropolitan line into London so building the southern extension of said goat track; which, had it originally been built, would have probably ensured it never shut.As a thought experiment: imagine that one of the various Victorian enterprises had built some vaguely-passable goat-track along the current HS2 alignment. It is never particularly productive and is finally put out of its misery by Doctor Beeching. How many members here would argue for its re-opening?
Usually when confronted with this reasoning, I then immediately ask: "What is the alternative solution to congestion on the railways?" which is more often than not greeting with a response of silence.For people who think we don't "need" it, what are your criteria for "need"?
Cos I guess that, in a way, no railway anywhere in the world is "necessary", if you want to go down that line of argument.
Unfortunately I suspect most of it would be "why does it cost so much?" and for the slightly more aware "didn't they just do that? what about the rest of the country?"I know it might sound ridiculous, but I sometimes wonder if the scheme had been given a boring functional name such as the "West Coast Main Line Capacity Upgrade" instead of HS2 we'd hear as many people moaning about it being a scheme for "rich business men to travel down to London faster"
We needed a new railway to increase overall North/South capacity. Personally I am not convinced that it needed to be a mega-expensive high speed line. Building a line with specification for speeds of around 125 mph could have been a lot cheaper than building HS2.
Yes but does it have to be so bloody expensive?
Well since the Chiltern line serves Bicester and Banbury to London flows (which nobody else can meet) and then shares the tracks all the way to Birmingham with other operators what would you close?Well if passenger numbers remain considerably reduced and if rail industry finances don't recover then I'd have thought sooner or later someone will ask why we need three mainlines between London and Birmingham, is the Chiltern line in it's current form still necessary.
Well since the Chiltern line serves Bicester and Banbury to London flows (which nobody else can meet) and then shares the tracks all the way to Birmingham with other operators what would you close?
I know the WCML might be busy but I don't see why £100bn+ is really sacrificed for a high speed railway instead of spending the money on upgrading the current railway and removing all the bottlenecks etc
As a thought experiment: imagine that one of the various Victorian enterprises had built some vaguely-passable goat-track along the current HS2 alignment. It is never particularly productive and is finally put out of its misery by Doctor Beeching. How many members here would argue for its re-opening?
I know it might sound ridiculous, but I sometimes wonder if the scheme had been given a boring functional name such as the "West Coast Main Line Capacity Upgrade" instead of HS2 we'd hear as many people moaning about it being a scheme for "rich business men to travel down to London faster"
No reason for WMR to run south of Leamington Spa if they take that route back over. Banbury passengers can use Cross Country, and as you say, Chiltern can concentrate on travel south of Banbury.More likely post HS2 the Chiltern line could return to providing a decent, frequent suburban and outersuburban service, possibly not going past Banbury with WMR services meeting it in the other direction.
And turn Banbury into a mini New St, no thanks.More likely post HS2 the Chiltern line could return to providing a decent, frequent suburban and outersuburban service, possibly not going past Banbury with WMR services meeting it in the other direction.
I note that you are happy to sever the Chiltern route but not my equally appropriate quest to split LNR services at Northampton. Both ideas are all about forcing more custom onto HS2.
And turn Banbury into a mini New St, no thanks.
No reason for WMR to run south of Leamington Spa if they take that route back over.
Yes, but the issue is that there are no stations between Leamington Spa and Banbury - the former has facilities to terminate from the north, the latter from the south. Banbury to Birmingham is far enough to be an IC flow if that is how you want to characterise CrossCountry. I'd say it is essentially a regional operator now. No need for duplication of WMR and XC services over a 20 mile stretch of route with no intermediate stations.It's not ideal the way we in the UK have IC services carrying local passengers. Let's not create another one for want of running WMR (or whatever) one stop further along.
Yes, but the issue is that there are no stations between Leamington Spa and Banbury - the former has facilities to terminate from the north, the latter from the south. Banbury to Birmingham is far enough to be an IC flow if that is how you want to characterise CrossCountry. I'd say it is essentially a regional operator now. No need for duplication of WMR and XC services over a 20 mile stretch of route with no intermediate stations.
So Warwick - Bicester would require two changes of train?No reason for WMR to run south of Leamington Spa if they take that route back over. Banbury passengers can use Cross Country, and as you say, Chiltern can concentrate on travel south of Banbury.
I note that you are happy to sever the Chiltern route but not my equally appropriate quest to split LNR services at Northampton. Both ideas are all about forcing more custom onto HS2.