• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do train crews from different TOCs mix with one another in the mess room, or keep themselves to themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
I saw this item about Gloucester steam crews on Facebook - "Upon closure in 1964, the Barnwood (ex-LMS) staff had come to 85B (Horton Road ex GWR shed) en masse on the closure of the Midland shed. This meant that the top link at Horton Rd gained mileage turns to Derby as well as the traditional ones to Paddington. This entailed much route learning and quite a lot of re-positioning of staff in the links to even out seniority. The Windmill pub opposite Horton Rd shed had traditionally had a Midland/LMS and Western bar and the two sets of footplate staff drank separately even after the sheds merged." Exeter had a similar pub, where Western and Southern men sat separately. Of, course they wouldn't be going into a pub at all now.....
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DMckduck

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2020
Messages
488
The culture of split or separate mess rooms is luckily a dying tradition, with probably only a few floating about.

But there is still a slight football colours culture with TOCS and mixing, although not anywhere near as pronounced as before.
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
Depends on the location. There's a few separate mess rooms that spring to mind instantly, but they're part of larger traincrew depots/booking on points, rather than just a standalone mess room (i.e multiple TOCs at the same station, each of whom have a traincrew depot/booking on point there, including managers offices, locker room and mess room etc.)
 

side effect

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
243
I did some station cleaning for London overground and had to empty the bin in the mesrs room if that's how it's spelt at Watford Junction and lnwr had a room of their own.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,902
Location
East Anglia
Wetherspoons near stations seem to see more crews mixing these days than the messroom.
 

Silverlinky

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
876
I remember the old messroom at New Street, one big room with no official designated areas but everybody had their own "zones". You got a funny look if you worked for Central and dared to sit in the Cross Country area for example!
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,902
Location
East Anglia
I remember the old messroom at New Street, one big room with no official designated areas but everybody had their own "zones". You got a funny look if you worked for Central and dared to sit in the Cross Country area for example!

I was always very surprised to hear that Virgin XC and WC crews didn’t mix at Preston.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,680
Location
The West Country
I remember the old messroom at New Street, one big room with no official designated areas but everybody had their own "zones". You got a funny look if you worked for Central and dared to sit in the Cross Country area for example!
Sadly this still happens at Paddington,each depot has its preferred tables.
As for other TOCs in my area they all have separate mess rooms/offices. Most ex BR staff from different TOCs will still speak as it’s nice to see old colleagues. But because we never work with other TOCs anymore it's impossible to get to know new staff in the same way. A polite hello is nearly always said when passing.
 

75A

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2021
Messages
2,055
Location
Ireland (ex Brighton 75A)
In the early 80's the room @ Eastbourne had 'Motormen' on the door on an ancient green sign
At Brighton, there was a seperate room for the Guards. The footplate crews room was big and nobody had a particular spot, not much mixing between MT & EMU drivers unless cards were involved, usually cribbage.
 
Last edited:
Joined
28 Jun 2012
Messages
835
Location
Epsom Downs
When the toilets in my block were being rebuilt, circa 2015, we had to use the driver's block in the interim. The looks you'd get for having the temerity to enter their building. Sad really.
 

Silverlinky

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
876
Two messrooms at Bletchley opposite each other, one is normally mainly populated by conductors, the other almost exclusively by drivers. So even in the same company there is still separation.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,680
Location
The West Country
In the early 80's the room @ Eastbourne had 'Motormen' on the door on an ancient green sign
At Brighton, there was a seperate room for the Guards. The footplate crews room was big and nobody had a particular spot, not much mixing between MT & EMU drivers unless cards were involved, usually cribbage.
Not uncommon on the Southern. Salisbury had separate mess rooms when I used to go there. Guards on P3,drivers on P4. Happily no longer the case.
 

75A

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2021
Messages
2,055
Location
Ireland (ex Brighton 75A)
I only went to Salisbury once, on the Saturday morning Brighton - Exeter. The Driver, his Wife who was in he train and myself adjourned to a local Pub where some of his friends were waiting - very sociable.
 

lxfe_mxtterz

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2018
Messages
1,073
Location
Sarahdale (West of Emmerdale)
Up in the "raft" at Waterloo, there are still separate guards and drivers messrooms - or so I'm told, I don't tend to go up there myself.

I hear it's a lot better nowadays though, and it's treated more like just two separate messrooms rather than strictly for either guards or drivers.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
I thought we had seen an end to the nonsense of separate accomodation until eighteen months ago one train company had the nerve to put a pin pad on a common-use toilet that had been available for all staff for 100 years. Needless to say the grown ups had to get involved & told that company to open them up to all.
 

muz379

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2014
Messages
2,515
If you've got two TOCs that operate in the same area you'll probably find that people move from one of the TOCs to another from time to time anyway so those working for other TOCs will sometimes be former colleagues anyhow . So it's always nice to catch up with them .
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,567
Location
Preston Lancs
I was always very surprised to hear that Virgin XC and WC crews didn’t mix at Preston.
Seriously? I never knew that. Just seems crazy to me. I don’t like us and them mentality at all.

I thought we had seen an end to the nonsense of separate accomodation until eighteen months ago one train company had the nerve to put a pin pad on a common-use toilet that had been available for all staff for 100 years. Needless to say the grown ups had to get involved & told that company to open them up to all.
I thought we had seen an end of the nonsense too.
 

Sly Old Fox

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2008
Messages
448
Location
England
Why would you fraternise with the enemy? Ever mess room I use is single TOC use (even at locations where more than one TOC has breaks, they have different buildings altogether) and most of them have designated tables for different depots or grades.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,902
Location
East Anglia
Seriously? I never knew that. Just seems crazy to me. I don’t like us and them mentality at all.
I know!! A friend of mine was a New Street based train manager and she said they used separate areas at Preston as made to feel so unwelcome. I did hear that Nottingham was similar at one time with ex-Midland Mainline and ex-Central Trains crews.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,680
Location
The West Country
Years ago at Reading there was a door marked "Southern Region emu drivers only".
Not a new phenomenon. The Southern often seemed to segregate traincrew. Here’s two BR (s) doorplates reflecting this,one for Motormen and another for Guards.
IMG_1859.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg
Photos GWRA
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Glasgow Central used to be very bad for foreign crews. Certain tables for certain drivers at certain depots in the West of Scotland are and threats if you sat in the wrong place. Foreign crews were usually through the back out the way. Not sure if it's still as bad as that because I've not been in there for years. Some of the graffiti in the toilets had to be seen to be believed. I'll leave it there.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Why would you fraternise with the enemy? Ever mess room I use is single TOC use (even at locations where more than one TOC has breaks, they have different buildings altogether) and most of them have designated tables for different depots or grades.

Your first sentence isn’t for real, surely?!
 

Gemz91

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2013
Messages
735
Location
Garden Shed
Strange one this. Initially I thought we all mix in the mess rooms I use. But thinking about it we don’t mix. Other tocs using my depot mess room tend to use the small back room and don’t go into the main mess room. I don’t bother using the mess room at another tocs depot I go to, I’ll just use a nearby cafe.

But then when I see crew from other TOCs on the platform we’ll all stand and chat to each other and ask each other for lifts on each others trains. Strange really.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Thats a hangover from BR days and further back than that, you had to run gauntlets at certain depots before you even got to a newsroom.

Indeed, but this is 2024. That kind of nonsense should have died out years ago.
 

Pompey00

Repeatedly returning banned member
Joined
15 Aug 2022
Messages
201
Location
Portsmouth
At Fratton depot Swr train crew depo is on platform 1/ carpark side and GWR is a couple minute walk up the end of the road right on the corner.

But at Portsmouth harbour Swr , gwr and southern share the same mess room
 

chuff chuff

Member
Joined
25 Sep 2018
Messages
670
Glasgow Central used to be very bad for foreign crews. Certain tables for certain drivers at certain depots in the West of Scotland are and threats if you sat in the wrong place. Foreign crews were usually through the back out the way. Not sure if it's still as bad as that because I've not been in there for years. Some of the graffiti in the toilets had to be seen to be believed. I'll leave it there.
Bloody law unto themselves,horrible place to go thankfully only had to a couple of times.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
...
Not uncommon on the Southern. Salisbury had separate mess rooms when I used to go there. Guards on P3,drivers on P4. Happily no longer the case.
Salisbury has two mess rooms in the main accommodation area, although not quite as hardline as some depots in terms of split between drivers & guards.

Exeter St Davids has a 'visiting crew' mess room on P1.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top