• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do railways discriminate against colourblind people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3141

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
2,124
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
8% of men are red-green colour blind, so it is not a small minority.

Agreed, it must represent 2 million or more people, but it's probably only a small proportion of those who really, really want to be train drivers and will make posts on a forum like this if they can't, and it's generally safer for both them and everyone else for them not to drive trains, and also better for them and everyone else if we don't spend large unnecessary amounts to change the signalling systems for their benefit.

Red for stop is good, but it is a shame that green was chosen for go, blue would have been better. That applies to the roads, too, where colour blind people can drive and that must have caused some accidents (you can't awlays judge the positioning of the light well from a distance).

If I'm so far from traffic lights that I can't judge the position of the lights:
(1) I need to make sure I slow down so that when I'm closer enough to judge what action I should take I can do it;
(2) if I see them from a distance they'll very likely change before I get there and then I WILL observe the different position of each aspect;
(3) in almost every case, traffic lights are situated where you aren't going to be travelling at high speed so you should be able to stop anyway if required;
(4) my problem is whether it's red or amber, each of which means STOP, while green looks whitish and quite different from the others.
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,453
Location
Back in Sussex
Forget colourblindness, that's a luxury, what about my mate who was rejected as a driver just because he's a dwarf, they refused to raise the height of the DSD pedal on all the companies trains so that he could reach it and look out the cab window at the same time, now that's what you call discrimination .....
 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
981
Forget colourblindness, that's a luxury, what about my mate who was rejected as a driver just because he's a dwarf, they refused to raise the height of the DSD pedal on all the companies trains so that he could reach it and look out the cab window at the same time, now that's what you call discrimination .....

Platform shoes would've done the job :lol:
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,581
I'm surprised nobody has asked what we will be replacing red tail lights with too...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top