• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do penalty fares apply on rail replacement buses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StoneRoad

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2010
Messages
486
Location
Haltwhistle
Next time I use either the Conwy or Tyne Valley RRB services, I'm going to have a watch for this.

The only RRB service I used recently (and not that recently !) was during the various WCML blockades. Ticket was via CAR and it was checked on boarding the first of three. Nothing was said in warning, but the last coach dumped everybody at PRE and there was nothing going further north. Luckily, I was able to get someone to come and meet me - but others were left "muttering into beards" and wandering off into the night.
 

1B85

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2017
Messages
88
A long time ago the line to Lincoln from Nottingham was being replaced and there was a rail replacement bus service for about six months. I certainly remember tickets being sold and checked for that...
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
Only ever been on RRB's on Southern and SWT/SWR routes but never seen a ticket check on either.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I think it does depend where the RRB is. Running round central Liverpool for example, you would expect checks really, as the locals would otherwise just be catching them for free in place of the normal buses! Otherwise, any RRB I have caught has either no check, or is more just to check you are getting the correct bus.
Not really mate. Central Liverpool is compact enough that most locals wouldn't waste their time waiting for a RRB. As for Parkway to Lime Street RRB's hardly anyone uses them. I use them from West Allerton because I am daft.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
Beyond the gateline I assume, or on a station with no gateline, I assume the train itself.
All the penalty fare stations that I have seen that are without gates have a painted line to demarcate the area in which penalty fares apply
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
All the penalty fare stations that I have seen that are without gates have a painted line to demarcate the area in which penalty fares apply

That's a station with a compulsory ticket area, where you can be PFed for simply being beyond that line without a valid ticket. Not every TOC operates those, and they can't exist at stations where at least one TOC is not operating Penalty Fares, particularly where that TOC has services to that station where payment can be made on board due to no facilities at stations.

At other stations, a PF is only due if you have travelled on a Penalty Fare TOC's trains.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Not really mate. Central Liverpool is compact enough that most locals wouldn't waste their time waiting for a RRB.

Agreed, basically nobody uses Merseyrail for journeys within central Liverpool and that would remain true even if it were free. Most don't even bother changing to the Wirral Line to connect between Lime St and the Northern Line, they just walk across to Central (and that is included on any through ticket crossing Liverpool). A connection can easily be made (though unofficial) in under 10 minutes. It takes longer to use the Wirral Line, you can only do it in even the same time if you use the lifts at both ends.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
All the penalty fare stations that I have seen that are without gates have a painted line to demarcate the area in which penalty fares apply

I have travelled to/from scores of Penalty Fare stations without gates, none of them had this painted line.
 

scrapy

Established Member
Joined
15 Dec 2008
Messages
2,313
All the penalty fare stations that I have seen that are without gates have a painted line to demarcate the area in which penalty fares apply
I've only seen this on the Tyne and Wear Metro not on National Rail.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
In SWT days I did witness RPIs at Hounslow checking tickets as people boarded replacement buses and sending ticketless passengers to go and buy one.
SWT even went to the effort of installing standalone validators out the front of certain stations where there were semi-regular bustitutions. This seems to be in contrast to the policy of other operators of offering customers a free ride, but only on the basis that they have a valid ticket, CPC or Oyster card with sufficient credit (but not actually charging anything).

All the penalty fare stations that I have seen that are without gates have a painted line to demarcate the area in which penalty fares apply
I have travelled to/from scores of Penalty Fare stations without gates, none of them had this painted line.
I've only seen this on the Tyne and Wear Metro not on National Rail.
London Overground and DLR also have the red line painted at stations without gatelines.

On National Rail, LO aside, a very tiny number of stations have areas designated as a Compulsory Ticket Area, and many Tocs that operate Penalty fares have no such designated stations whatsoever.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Today I went with a specific aim to bash some rail replacement buses. Truro to Penzance and St Erth- St Ives.
Done around 8 movements by rail replacement. RPIs checking tickets at Truro and Penzance at entrance to bus. Intermediate stations were all come as you please. Couple of people flashed tickets at the bus driver who had no interest in the ticket, but gave a thanks without looking at the ticket
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,278
Generally I find revenue protection doesn't apply, let alone PFs. One thing that's always surprised me is that if revenue guards aren't operating trains why they don't have to "conduct" replacement buses instead.
Because its not in the job description, and we're usually on other trains which are running. Buses usually take a lot longer than trains so diagrams wouldn't work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top