..............Is this sort of abuse really in keeping with group guidelines........
Abuse! Are you being serious :roll:?
..............Is this sort of abuse really in keeping with group guidelines........
Abuse! Are you being serious :roll:?
So go on then.........................do tell us what you would have done if you had dropped your expensive phone on the track and staff couldn't retrieve it? This should be good......................
Oh and for the record I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with the OP, I just think both sides of any argument need to be heard.
So go on then.........................do tell us what you would have done if you had dropped your expensive phone on the track and staff couldn't retrieve it? This should be good......................
Oh and for the record I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with the OP, I just think both sides of any argument need to be heard.
So go on then.........................do tell us what you would have done if you had dropped your expensive phone on the track and staff couldn't retrieve it? This should be good......................![]()
Oh and for the record I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with the OP, I just think both sides of any argument need to be heard.
So go on then.........................do tell us what you would have done if you had dropped your expensive phone on the track and staff couldn't retrieve it? This should be good......................
Oh and for the record I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with the OP, I just think both sides of any argument need to be heard.
Well, for a start, I'd be wondering why I was in a position to drop my expensive phone somewhere the platform staff couldn't retrieve it with grabbers!
Every item I've dealt with that's been dropped: wallets, phones, headphones, paperwork and shoes, have all gone down the gap between platform and train or off the platform edge. All were retrieved after blocking the line (and adjacent line) with grabbers, certainly not going on the track. Even with the line blocked I wasn't PTS certified. Bigger items were retrieved by PTS certified yard staff from DB Schenker (if they had the time to assist).
If I dropped it elsewhere, I.e out of a train window, it would be a very expensive lesson learned.
Top tip, don't give your three year old your expensive phone to play with!
Out of interest, on London Underground, an approaching train is often used as protection (having been warned by radio to stop short of the platform) for retrieval efforts - is this the regime on the main line as well?
I was at Doncaster station with my three year old yesterday and he threw my phone on the track. Very annoying, but it was what happened after that which was potentially more worrying. I was tempted to just jump down and get it...
Wouldn't it just be a case of having the signal(s) protecting appropriate sections of track set on danger on the mainline?
Wouldn't it just be a case of having the signal(s) protecting appropriate sections of track set on danger on the mainline?
Wouldn't it just be a case of having the signal(s) protecting appropriate sections of track set on danger on the mainline?
He does have a point about H&S. Twenty years ago any passing member of the P-Way would have put his yellow jacket on, checked if it was safe/waited until it was, jumped down picked up the phone and then climbed out again. Job done.
So go on then.........................do tell us what you would have done if you had dropped your expensive phone on the track and staff couldn't retrieve it? This should be good......................
Oh and for the record I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with the OP, I just think both sides of any argument need to be heard.
He does have a point about H&S. Twenty years ago any passing member of the P-Way would have put his yellow jacket on, checked if it was safe/waited until it was, jumped down picked up the phone and then climbed out again. Job done.
So go on then.........................do tell us what you would have done if you had dropped your expensive phone on the track and staff couldn't retrieve it? This should be good......................
Oh and for the record I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with the OP, I just think both sides of any argument need to be heard.
I can't understand why anyone of sound mind would want to get out of a position of safety to retrieve an item that can be relatively easy to replace.
Yes, just because there are unavoidable risks in life does not mean it is reasonable to unnecessarily take risks.
Is this sort of abuse really in keeping with group guidelines?
So what would you have done if you had accidently dropped your wallet or expensive phone onto the track?
It probably would have been allowed in France or countries where platforms are lower.
IOW, the rules are understandable, and are to be followed, but that doesn't make someone who disagrees with the basis of them "not of sound mind". If you take that line, you suggest that people in many other countries worldwide where the track is not so strongly protected are "not of sound mind". It's just different approaches.
If calling someone who was seriously thinking of climbing off a platform onto a live railway line stupid is abuse then the world has gone mad.
As for what I would've done. I would've found a member of staff, pointed out the phone and if it couldn't have been retrieved easily, left my details so I could be contacted when it had been recovered.
"Look at these fast heavy things! Let's get in their way!"
That doesn't seem like a reasonable line of thought to me.
The slip/trip hazards down there, as mentioned upthread, can change a quick journey to the track and back into a journey to the track, ending up on your face and having an unexpected outcome.
Without wanting to beat an aging H&S drum, it is important that we be risk adverse.
Very true, but we aren't necessarily talking about darting down in between trains running on a 2 minute frequency.
here we go again. :roll: HSEA gone mad init.
You cant, of course, be killed by a train moving at 5 mph can you?
It doesn't matter. You don't go onto the track. It is very simple.