Justin Smith
Established Member
I was at Doncaster station with my three year old yesterday and he threw my phone on the track. Very annoying, but it was what happened after that which was potentially more worrying. I was tempted to just jump down and get it, it`d only have taken about 5 to 10 seconds, but I was concerned there`d be a big scene if one of the station staff spotted me doing so. Thus I asked the staff to get it for me, but they said they can`t always get them and would take a look. I didn`t know what they meant by "they can`t always get them" until a helpful guy came up with some long pick up tongs with which he retrieved the phone. Now, unless I`m getting the wrong end of the stick, the implication is that if the phone had been a few feet further away (and therefore unreachable with the tongs) they wouldn`t have got my phone ! I think I should mention at this point it was on platform 8 where all trains stop and none ever seem to go at more than about 10mph anyway. To be frank I`d have thought it would be almost impossible to be hit by a train there ! If it really is the case that staff are banned from jumping down onto the track is that not Health & Safety gone absolutely bonkers ? ! ?
I`m only relieved that they could get my phone with the tongs because if they`d have said they couldn`t there`s no way I`d have just left it there. I`d have got it, then I`m sure all hell would have broken out, over, let`s face it, sod all.
NOTE : I`m not blaming the staff here, they were perfectly pleasant and helpful, it seems it may be some crazy regulations that would (even prevent staff retrieving anything) be the guilty party.
This is a bit inconsistent isn`t it ?.
I`m only relieved that they could get my phone with the tongs because if they`d have said they couldn`t there`s no way I`d have just left it there. I`d have got it, then I`m sure all hell would have broken out, over, let`s face it, sod all.
NOTE : I`m not blaming the staff here, they were perfectly pleasant and helpful, it seems it may be some crazy regulations that would (even prevent staff retrieving anything) be the guilty party.
This is a bit inconsistent isn`t it ?.
Last edited: