• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do IPEMUs mean the End of Electrification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnElliott

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2014
Messages
275
There's an interview in today's Times with Mark Carne, suggesting the answer's "yes". I've only got a paywalled link: Run trains on batteries, says Network Rail boss.

He seems to be of the view that the future lies with batteries and bimodes (with a mention of hydrogen or LPG as alternatives to diesel).
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
He seems to be of the view that the future lies with batteries and bimodes (with a mention of hydrogen or LPG as alternatives to diesel).
I've not read the article, but it's slightly worrying that someone who should have at least a basic understanding of engineering doesn't seem to appreciate that the energy density of diesel is many times that of hydrogen or LPG. What works for a family car or light delivery van doesn't scale up to trains that need to accelerate several hundred tons to 125mph and back down to a stop repeatedly and continuously over the course of 16+ hours a day.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,306
I thought his organisation's recent Kent Route Study had already poured cold water on battery EMUs?
 

snowball

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2013
Messages
8,144
Location
Leeds
Perhaps he needs something else to enthuse over now the 40% capacity increase from the Digital Railway has been debunked.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,036
There's an interview in today's Times with Mark Carne, suggesting the answer's "yes". I've only got a paywalled link: Run trains on batteries, says Network Rail boss.

He seems to be of the view that the future lies with batteries and bimodes (with a mention of hydrogen or LPG as alternatives to diesel).

Personally I think that there is a case for a lot of what would otherwise be infill schemes to use Bi-modals trains for the time being. This would free up resources to put wires up on key trunk routes and high frequency metro services.

However over time I would expect that electrification would continue, however I would guess Carne's comments could well be to manage people's expectations as to what the HLOS is likely to be presenting for the next CP.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,313
I would guess Carne's comments could well be to manage people's expectations as to what the HLOS is likely to be presenting for the next CP.
I am sure that in the NR/TOC split of responsibilities, anything that takes the cost of changing traction away from your organisation and sticks it on the other side is something to work hard for.
 

JohnElliott

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2014
Messages
275
I've not read the article, but it's slightly worrying that someone who should have at least a basic understanding of engineering doesn't seem to appreciate that the energy density of diesel is many times that of hydrogen or LPG.

A slight update; I've rechecked the article and he was referring to American experiments with LNG.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,720
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I've not read the article, but it's slightly worrying that someone who should have at least a basic understanding of engineering doesn't seem to appreciate that the energy density of diesel is many times that of hydrogen or LPG. What works for a family car or light delivery van doesn't scale up to trains that need to accelerate several hundred tons to 125mph and back down to a stop repeatedly and continuously over the course of 16+ hours a day.

A train is also a lot bigger than a car and has more space to store such things. You've got options like slightly reducing roof height and putting it on top - if you look at a Pendolino, where the passenger compartment has about a foot on top of it for the 25kV bus line, you could easily put very substantially sized hydrogen tanks up there, and the advantage of putting them there (as on buses) is that if the tank is breached it'll very quickly be off up into the atmosphere without any harm to anyone. Indeed, it would technically make the train lighter :D
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
A train is also a lot bigger than a car and has more space to store such things.
I get that, but the energy density (as measured by Joules per litre) of diesel is ~35 MJ/l as compared to ~6MJ/l for hydrogen. So you need almost seven times more tank space for hydrogen as compared to diesel.

LNG isn't so bad, you only need about 1.5 times as much tank space as compared to diesel.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,720
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I get that, but the energy density (as measured by Joules per litre) of diesel is ~35 MJ/l as compared to ~6MJ/l for hydrogen. So you need almost seven times more tank space for hydrogen as compared to diesel.

True,but that isn't actually hard to achieve, compare the size of a DMU underfloor fuel tank with a tank taking up a similar depth (or even half the depth) over near enough the entire length of the 23m roofspace, certainly on intermediate coaches?

And then if it's bi-mode you may not need quite as much fuel on board anyway. I think the strength of this kind of thing is through running off and on wires - I can see no justification for *not* having the key mainline and commuter lines wired/third rail, but this kind of thing is perfect for stuff like Euston-North Wales Coast, Barrow/Windermere, Shrewsbury, Hull and the likes.
 
Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
I think the strength of this kind of thing is through running off and on wires...
As do I. But the original question was 'Do IPEMUs mean the End of Electrification?' I think we're in agreement that the answer is 'No, but they do change the economics quite a bit'.
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
As do I. But the original question was 'Do IPEMUs mean the End of Electrification?' I think we're in agreement that the answer is 'No, but they do change the economics quite a bit'.

The answer is NO today, but YES in a few years!

There are capacitors in development that would allow IPEMUs to operate very successfully in a few years time. Steam only went 49 years ago, trains have a life of 30-50 years, so in that time span the new IEP Diesel engines will be replaced by batteries / capacitors.

Technology does not stand still
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
Technology does not stand still
That's true. However, the laws of physics aren't as mutable. There are always going to be losses incurred when using stored energy - it's just a question of how those losses balance out against losses in the transmission network.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top