• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Guards Sell Tickets for travel in the Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
I am travelling on Northern Rail from Lincoln to Doncaster - Change at Retford for Hull Trains.

I am wondering if the on-board guard would sell me a ticket with reservations & railcard discount for travel the next day (between Doncaster & Sheffield Off-Peak Day Return) on FTPE at the price of £4.30?


Should every guard do that?

Is their a rule to say they must?

Just asking!

thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,449
Location
Yorkshire
I am sure they are not obliged to. But if the service is not very busy and they aren't struggling to sell tickets to everyone, then I don't see why they'd say no... but it may depend on whether they feel it's worthwhile. For example if you asked to buy an ALR, then they'd probably quite like the commission so I'd be surprised if they said no. But for a £4 ticket, maybe not.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
Myabe if I ask before the next stop. Lincoln has barriers so 'most' if not all would have tickets just to be able to get on the station.

Of if I just use a couple of persuasive techniques!

I hope he/she does so.

Also can they do seat reservations?



Every Little Helps from Tesco used by me!
(commission wise!)
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I would doubt it very much if they do seat reservations as I guess they will not have access to the national reservation system.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
Call in the Guards!

I know your out there!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,449
Location
Yorkshire
It will vary depending on how busy the guard is at the end of the day. I've asked GC for onward tickets (but for the same day) and they've always been happy to do so, but then they aren't so pushed for time between most stops.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Southern Guards sell tickets for the next day after 16.00. they seem happy to do this even on stopping services.
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,748
Call in the Guards!

I know your out there!

We can sell all National tickets, Rovers and Rangers for travel either that day or at any time in the future subject to any time restrictions on sale - eg renewing season tickets after 1200noon.

There are however a few exceptions-

¤ We cannot sell "Advance" ticket types as these require a mandatory reservation.

¤ We cannot do reservations.

¤ We cannot sell some TOC specific or certain promotional tickets which may require some form of verification or special booking process eg Reader Offers.

¤ We cannot sell season tickets for longer than 7 days validity.

 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
I can sell all those things except national rovers and rangers, and advance tickets. I can sell you all walk up tickets for future travel up to 24 hours in advance including seasons, and that's your whack. I can however, give you the price of those rovers and rangers I am no longer allowed to sell you, though I can sell you certain day tickets for the passenger transport area I work in that may help.
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
Many do - I've done this several times, but obviously it depends on how busy they are. I noticed, when working down at a client site in Hampshire, that SWT guards are particularly good at offering to renew a weekly season that's about to expire.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I am travelling on Northern Rail from Lincoln to Doncaster - Change at Retford for Hull Trains.

I am wondering if the on-board guard would sell me a ticket with reservations & railcard discount for travel the next day (between Doncaster & Sheffield Off-Peak Day Return) on FTPE at the price of £4.30?

Should every guard do that?

Is their a rule to say they must?

You won't get the seat reservation but Northern guards have done so in the past when there is time to do so. Their number 1 priority between stations is to make sure that every one has a ticket for the journey they are making and on many peak time Northern services they can't even get to the end of the train to do that so they definetly don't have to in circumstances like that. Northern conductors do get commision for selling tickets, so if they aren't busy I wouldn't see why they wouldn't sell you such tickets.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
With some TOCs they also get picked up by their managers if it happens on a regular basis. This is due to the fact that some are taking around 5% in commision on each sale & the company would prefer to keep this themselves by purchasing at the ticket office.
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,748
that SWT guards are particularly good at offering to renew a weekly season that's about to expire.

I do that quite a bit - good way of making a bit of extra commission! It's all in the name of customer service you see - saves the passenger queuing up to do it in their own time!

 

Bellwater

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2010
Messages
522
Location
on a 158
As others have said, it's possible to sell walk-up tickets(Off-Peak and Anytime Day/Period Returns)for any date on the Train.

No Advance Fares or Seat Reservations, they have to be done at the Booking Office.

Can only do Rovers/Rangers starting that day though, and Season Tickets for the next Day.

I personally wouldn't do it(Discounted Tickets) where there is a Booking Office open - there is the opportunity to purchase a ticket there and then.
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,748
Can only do Rovers/Rangers starting that day though, and Season Tickets for the next Day.

.

Not strictly true, unless the settings are different in different places.

I can advance date Rovers and Rangers and have done so recently when I sold myself an Island Liner Rover 4 days in advance. I have done a few Rovers or Rangers in advance before either for myself or friends.

I also note I can do Season Tickets to start on Monday on a Friday afternoon.

I can only think that if some folk can't do this then the settings and privileges for different TOCs or depots must be different.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
It's perfectly possible to sell any rover from our advantix but we are not allowed to actually sell them unfortunately. I have never had a satisfactory answer to why. Probably a commission thing.
 
Last edited:

Bellwater

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2010
Messages
522
Location
on a 158
Not strictly true, unless the settings are different in different places.

I can advance date Rovers and Rangers and have done so recently when I sold myself an Island Liner Rover 4 days in advance. I have done a few Rovers or Rangers in advance before either for myself or friends.

I also note I can do Season Tickets to start on Monday on a Friday afternoon.

I can only think that if some folk can't do this then the settings and privileges for different TOCs or depots must be different.

They're locked on our machines, i've tried it.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
It's due to passengers buying All Line Rail Rovers with a stolen/fraudulent credit card on train then attempting to refund them to a debit card at a booking office. This was quite common on the Shotts line (EGS) for a while.

I don't see the problem in issuing a Central Scotland Rover on train through as this costs less than a lot of SVR/SOR/7DS that we can issue legit esp. from an unstaffed station.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,449
Location
Yorkshire
I thought you could only get a refund to the same card you bought it from?
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
In theory. However, in practice there's no way of knowing whether the original ticket was bought with a credit or debit card. Or a particular credit card.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Reb0118, I have had several dealings with the chap who has been doing what you say, though he has been doing this all over central Scotland, it was in a brief from the BTP, he is very knowledgable in tickets and routing, but unfortunately he always asks for ridiculously expensive tickets at unusual times PLUS I and most of my colleagues know his name and face, make your excuses and speak to the BTP asap.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I would guess that as the tickets are bought from an Avantix with no connection to the system, if you are quick enough in getting a refund (ie. before the machine was returned to the Avantix Lobby) the system wouldn't know what card the tickets were bought with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top