• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do FGW offer 'club55' fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laphroaig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
36
Location
North West London
Hello, I'm looking to travel London to Truro the week after next, out the 21st back the 22nd. I have found reasonable(ish) fares for myself, but my query involves the fares for my over 55 travel companions.

On the 'eastcoast' booking engine which I usually favour (as I can book my bike!) there appear to be 'Club 55' fares of £35 rtn std or £55 rtn 1st, which is a lot cheaper than anything poor 30-something me can get! However, when I go through the booking process it gets stuck at the delivery options so I'm unable to buy this fare. It looks as though it is a 'turn up and go' fare so can I advise my companions to buy it on the day at Paddington? I'm a bit suspicious, 'cos I looked on the Great Western site and this fare didn't come up at all, also on 'eastcoast' the fare seems to be called 'First TPE' which I'm guessing is transpennine, despite my journey being many miles from any of their routes.

Basically, to clarify my query, is this an anomaly, or can an over 55 get from London to Truro and back for £35/55 this month, buying on the day of travel??

P.S. First post, I hope some of you knowledgeable folks can help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glenbogle

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2011
Messages
258
First Scotrail and First Trans Penine are so you would imagine First Great Western would too.
Phone their Customer Relations dept to clarify 08457 000 125 (open daily, 0700 to 2200).
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
FGW have been known to offer Club55 fares but they are not currently on sale.

There are rumours of an autumn offer starting later this month but I haven't seen any confirmation of it yet. In the past it has always been a walk on offer - £25 standard return from memory

So the answer to the question is - maybe.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
On sale from the 12th September for travel from the 19th.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
No FGW staff briefing on it yet (at least in my depot)...
 

laphroaig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
36
Location
North West London
Good stuff, that sounds promising, I'm glad I held off from buying Advances for the older guys, these look like a very good deal. I'm a bit miffed I don't qualify myself, I wonder if I dyed the hair grey and had a really heavy night beforehand I could pass for 55?!

Joking aside, I assume they would need to bring age I.D.?

Thanks all for the information anyway.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
There's usually another £5 off for senior railcard holders if that helps them

I'm pretty sure they ask for ID.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top