• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do FGW ever collect Weekend 1ST on commuter services? - REDUX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLJR

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Messages
225
Location
Pimlico
In this thread (now closed) I said:

OLJR said:
This year I have taken FGW services from Paddington to Maidenhead at the weekend quite a few times. I know from experience that the STD compartment can get full but 1ST is much quieter so I travel in 1ST.

The most economical option for 1ST is to buy a GBP 10.90 STD Off-Peak Day Return and pay GBP 5.00 each way for Weekend First. Total cost = GBP 20.90. A 1ST Off-Peak Day Return is GBP 5.60 more expensive at GBP 26.50.

The thing is though that on all the journeys I have taken there has not once been any ticket inspection so I have effectively enjoyed upgrades to 1ST for free.

Are FGW just not interested in collecting the Weekend 1ST revenue on this route? Or have I just been lucky?

Yesterday (Sunday) I travelled Paddington to Maidenhead return and had purchased a 1ST off peak day return. Surprisingly there were ticket checks in both directions.

On the way out I asked the inspector if Weekend First was valid on those trains and he said that it was not, being valid only for journeys to Reading and further west.

On the way back I asked the second inspector the same question. He said that Weekend First is valid on these services.

Confusing! :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleepy

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
1,833
Location
East Anglia
Valid - yes (as part of through journey e.g. Truro - Marlow) Available to purchase on board - no in the case of Maidenhead - PAD stopping services as they do not have guards/ ATE on board.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,307
If there is no ticket inspector, it is impossible to have the right ticket as Weekend First upgrades can only be bought on board.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,307
On a journey of that length it is likely that there will be a ticket check at some point, but I don't see what relevance that has to a journey from London to Maidenhead?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top