Dr Hoo
Established Member
BIB According to an article in The Rail Engineer at the time the project costs were £27.5million for Eden Brows. I don't think that that included non-engineering costs like loss of revenue, replacement buses, freight diversion and so on.Probably. The costs of it must be enormous (how much did that embankment collapse south of Carlisle cost?).
I'm probably one of the few, here and overall, who used it for a business trip a while ago. London-Doncaster-Carlisle-London. Apart from the impossibility of getting sensible ticketing for such, I had an alternative that if the first meeting ran on and I missed the one practical afternoon train from Leeds to Carlisle, going via Newcastle was a very reasonable alternative. The "tourist traffic" comprised taking the whole of one car of the 2-car 158 as reserved, for a coach party who only used the train between Hellifield and Kirkby Stephen (while their coach drove, empty, along parallel roads). Everyone else was squashed into the back car, where the largest load was north of Skipton, with standees (fine view for tourists that, all they would see was the ballast), but by the time we got to Carlisle there were just about a dozen passengers. I doubt the coach party contributed much to the overall end-to-end costs of a whole dmu car from Leeds to Carlisle. It also seemed to come as quite a surprise to the railway that if you provide a service in an area well known for hiking and backpacking, your passengers might bring their backpacks with them, and thus need provision for them ...
The accident at Ais Gill in 1995, out of the tourist season, is instructive for showing just a couple of passengers in each of the two trains.
Strangely enough I also had a bizarre business trip over the S&C. Living in Northamptonshire and having a day meeting in Glasgow it was an obvious (if slow) route with a full-price open ticket. My return trip involved a short change at Carlisle into an already-rammed train that was full of pensioners enjoying some TOC 'Over-55s' promotional fare. Had to stand all the way to Leeds.
But out-of-season you can usually get a 4-seat table bay to yourself.