True, but while the infrastructure exists, it has a sense of permanence.In addition, to take this point head on, trains might have more permanence in reputation but do they actually in facts? Very very few places that used to be railways have no bus service any more. The only one that I can think of is Callander to Crianlarich where the bus was reduced to one trip a day.
I bought my current house fifteen years ago partly because it was fifteen minutes walk from a railway station. The bus stop wouldn't have had the same pull (although it is convenient for buses to Wakefield to be fair) .
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
So you two are suggesting that you never use, and think others should never use motorised vehicles on roads, including not purchasing anything that is delivered by motor vehicles on roads?
I'm actually suggesting an improvement to a publicly funded local public transport service which would be cheaper than the railway to run and produce more output, not suggesting that we should be inducing traffic. Also I'm very unconvinced that better maintained roads induce speeding or extra driving but that's by the by.
This has been such a big one I wonder if it needs it's own dedicated thread.
It wouldn't be an improvement to my mind if you have to slash the railway network to achieve it. That's more like one step forward to two steps back.
Last edited: