• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Distance from depot for Trainee Driver jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWong

New Member
Joined
29 Jul 2025
Messages
3
Location
leeds
Hi all

I am looking at the Trainee driver role at Manchester. There is reference to being 45m from the depot. I currently live about that time (but using their metric 8am on Monday) it would be longer.

My registered address would be 45m away, but i have family in Manc who i could stay with and am happy to relocate if i was fortunate enough to get a job. Would they accept applications if i stated 'will relocate if successful' or would it be an automatic rejection due to the distance.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,894
Would they accept applications if i stated 'will relocate if successful'
Very unlikely to as too many people have said they would yet failed to do so and spoilt it for everyone.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
If it's Northern then no, they seem quite hard-line on the 45 minute rule. TPE allow you to tick 'will relocate' on the application but I believe they want proof of being within their desired area by the time you were to be offered a role
 

MrWong

New Member
Joined
29 Jul 2025
Messages
3
Location
leeds
Thanks for the replies. I live near the Leeds area, so not too far from Manc and would have moved if required as its not far away. This may sound slightly dishonest, but I have immediate family who would let me stay with them in the Manc area - so I could do it that way, but I wont as I dont want to jepordise future chances.

Thanks for the quick responses, saves me wasting my time applying if its an automatic rejection. It was Northern btw, not sure why I said TPE
 

Pintman

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2023
Messages
191
Location
The Pub
You'll probably need to provide proof of address at some point, and if you're not living within 45 mins of the depot at that point then personally I wouldn't fancy your chances
 

WeGoAgain

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2014
Messages
126
Location
Cambs
Hi all

I am looking at the Trainee driver role at Manchester. There is reference to being 45m from the depot. I currently live about that time (but using their metric 8am on Monday) it would be longer.

My registered address would be 45m away, but i have family in Manc who i could stay with and am happy to relocate if i was fortunate enough to get a job. Would they accept applications if i stated 'will relocate if successful' or would it be an automatic rejection due to the distance.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Apply anyway using your actual address. If you don't apply, it's a definite 'No'. I'm not sure if 8AM on a Monday is a common start time (certainly seems odd for Railway shift work), though it could be related to the Training centre, but I would certainly give it a shot. If it gets to that point, let them know you are in the process of/are willing to relocate.
 

MrWong

New Member
Joined
29 Jul 2025
Messages
3
Location
leeds
Apply anyway using your actual address. If you don't apply, it's a definite 'No'. I'm not sure if 8AM on a Monday is a common start time (certainly seems odd for Railway shift work), though it could be related to the Training centre, but I would certainly give it a shot. If it gets to that point, let them know you are in the process of/are willing to relocate.
Yes true. Thanks mate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top