• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption Preston to Wigan 13/12: valid alternative routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Suppose you are on a train from Glasgow to London Euston but due to the disruption between Preston and Wigan you are thinking of getting off at Carlisle to go through Newcastle. Are you likely to get a problem with the Advance ticket on the Virgin train to King's Cross? I see East Coast are accepting Trans Pennine Express tickets between Edinburgh and York but it doesn't mention West Coast, but maybe because they are both Virgin they don't need to mention it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
...but it doesn't mention West Coast, but maybe because they are both Virgin they don't need to mention it?
No, they would still mention it as they are separate TOCs sharing a single marketing identity. That said, as long as you ask beforehand and get your ticket endorsed you won't have any problem.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
I've just left Lancaster, heading south intending to travel to Wigan. Been told this train will likely go through but I'm travelling on the 13:53 off LAN! (Therefore its obviously very late already!)
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Thinking about it, I thought I read that you no longer need to wait for ticket acceptance during severe disruption?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Thinking about it, I thought I read that you no longer need to wait for ticket acceptance during severe disruption?
As far as I know, if you're travelling on an Advance or TOC-only ticket a guard would be well within his or her rights to refuse you travel even if there is disruption, unless formal acceptance has been put into place. After all, their definition of 'severe' might not match yours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top