• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption on Sunday/Monday if England win

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2020
Messages
1,565
Location
Leafy Suburbia
What a shame 'draw' is not a valid result :)
I see an Italian is in the tennis final at Wimbledon too.

Could bojo even call a general election to try to profit from the euphoria?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PTR 444

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2019
Messages
2,647
Location
Wimborne
I think it sets a terrible example to children to have schools allowing people to come in late.

When I was a child, there were things I wanted to do at certain times, which I couldn’t because it clashed with school. Part of growing up as a mature responsible adult is accepting that there’s certain things we cannot do, and that’s a fact of life.

It isn’t like watching the match would be that disruptive - doing that and then going straight to bed is perfectly feasible.

Must say I really hope England lose. Bah humbug!
And furthermore if you have to miss the match for whatever reason, there’s nothing to stop you from watching it later on catch-up TV. The vast majority of people alive now wouldn’t have been able to do that when they were a child.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
And furthermore if you have to miss the match for whatever reason, there’s nothing to stop you from watching it later on catch-up TV. The vast majority of people alive now wouldn’t have been able to do that when they were a child.

Thats true, but I imagine the atmosphere of watching it live with friends & family is a key part of the experience for most.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
And furthermore if you have to miss the match for whatever reason, there’s nothing to stop you from watching it later on catch-up TV. The vast majority of people alive now wouldn’t have been able to do that when they were a child.

"If you don't want to know the score, look away now"
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Thats true, but I imagine the atmosphere of watching it live with friends & family is a key part of the experience for most.

If the other night was anything to go buy, you can hear the cheering from nearby houses anyway....

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

This “experience” does not, in my view, justify disrupting education - especially given the backdrop of two disrupted years already.

To be fair, nearing the end of term wind down now anyway.
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
All over the place it seems. They’ve also blamed it on COVID which I guess is technically true (shortage of trained crew) but realistically it’s a much lower take up than average of RDW for Sunday.

Should already be in journey planners

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



There’s a big difference between not working a booked shift (bad) and not volunteering to work a RD (perfectly acceptable).

The fact is TOCs with Sunday outside the working week (and indeed some with) rely on excellent overtime rates to lure people in for Sundays. When there’s big events on they’d obviously be somewhere else and who can blame them? It’s mad how high the % can be of the train crew on a Sunday who are working a RD…

The problem is a) reliance on RDW to run a service which is normally masked by resources teams (even M-F) and b) some TOCs having been at the wrong part of a recruitment / training spree when Covid hit. Nothing to do with “unprofessional” staff.
Indeed. Unprofessional management, that think the definition of 'professional' is wearing a nice suit
 

Efini92

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,138
I absolutely blame them. If they’re contracted to work, they should work. Pulling a canny sick day lumbers others with a more responsible attitude, which I find objectionable.

(I don’t include not volunteering in this, for the TOCs where Sunday working is outside the roster - that’s different).
I don’t think sick days are the issue. It’s the voluntary sundays which covers most TOC’s.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,452
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I don’t think sick days are the issue. It’s the voluntary sundays which covers most TOC’s.

Sick days certainly can be an issue when there’s stuff happening, football being one such thing. Good weather, half term weeks, bank holidays are others.

Just thinking of a train crew depot familiar to me, I can pretty much guarantee a list of names who won’t be at work on either or both of Sunday or Monday. I’m sure this is similar across the spectrum.

Weekend coverage is often dodgy at the best of times, even with everything inside the roster. If isn’t an issue it’s generally because of considerable juggling by crew managers combined with spares being “caught”. Some places are worse than others - a small rural depot will be better than a large suburban metro depot.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
Yes I can see a lot of negative publicity for the railway on Sunday particularly if fans who are travelling to Wembley by rail can't get to or get back from the match.

The days of Sundays outside the week are numbered now regardless. It's just a matter of whether the state will try to avoid paying the market price for them and how ugly it gets if they don't.

If England lose - there will be carnage , if England win - carnage (of a different order).

See some of the pictures of London the other night with idiots on double decker bus roofs etc. BTP and the Met must be dreading it - let alone other places. I suppose Sugar Loaf Halt might be a place to sit it out safely.

I have no interest in football and would happily work rather than watch the game, if that were the only factor. But I wouldn't volunteer to work it, because the combination of cancellations around you and post match carnage would make it a potential nightmare shift. Maybe if it was very, very much incentivised, but it's probably easier for the TOC to cancel everything than to rise to that or risk showing what Sundays are actually worth to them.
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,420
Well, a very large number of services will be missing on Sunday. If the changes are not already in the schedules they will be in Darwin tomorrow.
 

142blue

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2013
Messages
351
Location
UK
And furthermore if you have to miss the match for whatever reason, there’s nothing to stop you from watching it later on catch-up TV. The vast majority of people alive now wouldn’t have been able to do that when they were a child.
No one is going to do that. Just watch it, it's not EastEnders
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Why is it important? It's a sport. Yes, some people are very passionate about it, but it's just a sport. It's entertainment. That's all it is.

Why not let people enjoy it if they so wish, given the generally ****e time so, so many people have had over the last 16 months?

(Contrary to popular forum belief, most people have found it generally difficult and miserable)
 

142blue

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2013
Messages
351
Location
UK
Why is it important? It's a sport. Yes, some people are very passionate about it, but it's just a sport. It's entertainment. That's all it is.
Because despite the fun police of a small minority on here this us the biggest sporting event in decades, something we may never see again irrespective of the result.

Plus the last 16 months have been horrendous, people have lost family, friends and colleagues in a pandemic which we are seeing the end of hopefully so if people want to see friends, go to the pub, watch this once in a lifetime game and run down the street naked if we win then I support each and every last person in this country doing so.

This country needs a pick me up and this is exactly one of those possibilities that could be a reality

So put your flags up, get some cans in and give us a rendition of Three Lions and enjoy some much needed positivity as we've not seen much of that last year or most of this either
 
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
359
Because despite the fun police of a small minority on here this us the biggest sporting event in decades, something we may never see again irrespective of the result.

Plus the last 16 months have been horrendous, people have lost family, friends and colleagues in a pandemic which we are seeing the end of hopefully so if people want to see friends, go to the pub, watch this once in a lifetime game and run down the street naked if we win then I support each and every last person in this country doing so.

This country needs a pick me up and this is exactly one of those possibilities that could be a reality

So put your flags up, get some cans in and give us a rendition of Three Lions and enjoy some much needed positivity as we've not seen much of that last year or most of this either
I can’t as I am working over this weekend offsite and will need GWR to get me home on Sunday evening so I can be in the office as scheduled on Monday morning at 6am.

Why should I be inconvenienced due to a few people thinking - “nah, sod it, I’d rather sack off work and go get absolutely drunk” (in what may well be - judging by footage of gatherings during the semi final - a non socially distanced setting).

and then be surprised when the inevitable positive case or close contact isolation alert meaning that next Sunday is also going to be a day off resulting in more cancellations for the regular commuter.
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
I'm wondering if certain industries like the railway who are dependent on their employees not drinking alcohol should consider hiring out a bar for major events like football and only serving non alcoholic drinks at them. So that their employees get the social benefit of the events without the casual pressure for their employees to drink alcohol

It could be done through organisations like the trade unions.

London transport had a strong social scene before privatisation and it's kind of sad that was lost.

Strong social support networks can mitigate against the negative effects that stress and suicides can have on employees
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
This “experience” does not, in my view, justify disrupting education - especially given the backdrop of two disrupted years already.

No of course not. I wasn't even saying we should do that. One late night for kids isn't going to destroy their education and for certain ages, I'd just let them stay up a bit. If past experience is anything to go by it might be a long wait until the next final!
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
No of course not. I wasn't even saying we should do that. One late night for kids isn't going to destroy their education and for certain ages, I'd just let them stay up a bit. If past experience is anything to go by it might be a long wait until the next final!

For many kids (especially secondary school age), January, February, March were utterly awful. Cut off from friends, tedious Zoom lessons, stuck inside.

Let them enjoy themselves- it'll do them more good than lessons for the sake of one day.
 

jfisher21

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
218
I can’t as I am working over this weekend offsite and will need GWR to get me home on Sunday evening so I can be in the office as scheduled on Monday morning at 6am.

Why should I be inconvenienced due to a few people thinking - “nah, sod it, I’d rather sack off work and go get absolutely drunk” (in what may well be - judging by footage of gatherings during the semi final - a non socially distanced setting).

and then be surprised when the inevitable positive case or close contact isolation alert meaning that next Sunday is also going to be a day off resulting in more cancellations for the regular commuter.
I suspect if we win it you will be on your own at 6am Monday. COME ON ENGLAND!
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I'll still be going to bed at the same time, other half will up at 4am, I'll be up 6am.
Even if there was a bank holiday I wouldn't be boozing to all hours in the morning.
Maybe I'm getting old..
I'm with you on that! I'll be up at 05.00hrs Monday morning to start work at 07.30. Just another normal day

Even if Boris declared Monday a bank holiday, we can't just cancel clinics and elective surgery at the drop of a hat.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
I'm with you on that! I'll be up at 05.00hrs Monday morning to start work at 07.30. Just another normal day

Even if Boris declared Monday a bank holiday, we can't just cancel clinics and elective surgery at the drop of a hat.

Snickers were sharing around a petition for a bank holiday which was quite distasteful I thought - somehow certain people seem to forget that infrastructure and the emergency services work 24/7/365 regardless of what is going on.

There are two issues though that are different that some on here are confusing: 1) If there are elevated levels of sickness and absence, that is quite poor and whilst I expect there may be some of that it will be small compared to 2) the amount of shifts needed to be covered by overtime to run the service. I'm sure most weekends when crew resources phones up Driver1 "Hey Driver 1, are you up for covering 1600-0024 on Sunday" the answer will be "Sure no problem Resources!". But this week it will probably "Nah Resources are you having a laugh I'll be watching the game!". It is never crew responsibility to work overtime, even if they want to most of the time - it is always absoutely a choice.

The main problem will be TOCs and the DfT not (yet) finally nailing down a 7-day railway.
 
Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Because despite the fun police of a small minority on here this us the biggest sporting event in decades, something we may never see again irrespective of the result.

Plus the last 16 months have been horrendous, people have lost family, friends and colleagues in a pandemic which we are seeing the end of hopefully so if people want to see friends, go to the pub, watch this once in a lifetime game and run down the street naked if we win then I support each and every last person in this country doing so.

This country needs a pick me up and this is exactly one of those possibilities that could be a reality

So put your flags up, get some cans in and give us a rendition of Three Lions and enjoy some much needed positivity as we've not seen much of that last year or most of this either
Nothing wrong with that but...

Public services need to continue working/running. And "the railway" should really be putting on additional services to get people home. Easy for me to say I know
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,624
Wow the miserables really have turned up in this thread.
It clearly isn't going to be a bank holiday because of the short notice, but there's nothing wrong with people having a bit of fun, especially after the last 18 months. I'd hope employers are understanding. Certainly mine is (and if we were back in the office we probably would have been watching some of the 5pm kick offs earlier on in the tournament at work).

That said, come on Italy!!
I absolutely blame them. If they’re contracted to work, they should work. Pulling a canny sick day lumbers others with a more responsible attitude, which I find objectionable.

(I don’t include not volunteering in this, for the TOCs where Sunday working is outside the roster - that’s different).
There's more to life than work. A lot more. Work just happens to pay for the rest. But the rest is absolutely more important than work.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
Wow the miserables really have turned up in this thread.
It clearly isn't going to be a bank holiday because of the short notice, but there's nothing wrong with people having a bit of fun, especially after the last 18 months. I'd hope employers are understanding. Certainly mine is (and if we were back in the office we probably would have been watching some of the 5pm kick offs earlier on in the tournament at work).

That said, come on Italy!!

There's more to life than work. A lot more. Work just happens to pay for the rest. But the rest is absolutely more important than work.

I think the "miserables" are talking about the issue that some employers simply can't be understanding. It would be ridiculous if any TOC or any essential service let employees go early or come in late on Monday. If you have a role where you can do that and it isn't critical, by all means thats fine if management are happy.

Also "rest" will be part of a roster - taking another day to watch the football because, essentially, you want to, will let others down (again only applying to people booked to work, NOT those reliant on Sunday overtime). For train crew this will likely be passengers many of whom might not care one jolt about the football or are relying on the trains to get to their mate's house / family's house / the pub to watch the game.
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
There's more to life than work. A lot more. Work just happens to pay for the rest. But the rest is absolutely more important than work.
But work pays the bills, the mortgage etc. Unless you have thousands in the bank....

I think managers and HR will be paying a close eye on sickies come Monday morning. I certainly won't be impressed if my staff fail to turn up and lists have to be cancelled on the day - appointments have already been heavily delayed due to the pandemic
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,344
Location
Herts
For many kids (especially secondary school age), January, February, March were utterly awful. Cut off from friends, tedious Zoom lessons, stuck inside.

Let them enjoy themselves- it'll do them more good than lessons for the sake of one day.

That is an excellent point , and I agree with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top