• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption leads to 9-car train on Bathgate line this afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
As a result of a double EMU set going on strike near Uphall, I had my first experience of travelling in a 9-car EMU in Scotland, when our following train propelled the whole lot along to Uphall. Not a very fast journey, nor a long one!

Which led me to wonder, what is the maximum normal length for EMU services in Scotland? I don't recall ever seeing any train longer than 6 carriages.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry - have just realised this is not really an Infrastructure enquiry!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenmutchkin

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
617
Location
Scotland
I can't remember ever seeing an EMU longer than 6 coaches in Scotland. I don't think that too many platforms could cope. So it is an infrastructure question really. :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Hint: Class 390s are EMUs



and some will soon be 11.

On Scotrail however I once took the 17:50 northberwick to Glasgow service intending to bash the full route in the days of 322 opperation. At eDB another 4 car unit which had earlier failed was cuppled and the service ran as booked but with only the front set in service.

 

Railsigns

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2010
Messages
2,754
Which led me to wonder, what is the maximum normal length for EMU services in Scotland? I don't recall ever seeing any train longer than 6 carriages.

This would suggest you can see 8-car Class 380s on the Inverclyde Line:

8car.jpg
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
7 and 8 car formations are common for 380 operations and the 380 carriages are 2-3m longer than those of 314/318/320/322/334/previous stock. An eight car 380 formation is about the same length as a 9 car 334 formation
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,798
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Nice scottish goverment waste of money there, why not just have a board stating 8/6 Car Stop (380 Unit) Waste of steel there...

Also, the're only protecting against damaging peoples eyes in 6 car unit situations, the edges are only radiused on the stop of the 380-6 sign, suppose you can have your eye out if you're lucky enough to get a 7 or 8 car unit ;)
 
Joined
23 Dec 2009
Messages
112
Location
Scotland
I remember in the 90's that Paisley Gilmour Street and Greenock Central had Car Stop 9 Signs, but I can't ever remember seeing 9 car trains. Does anyone know of situations where this may have happened. (Glasgow fair maybe? everyone going doon the wat er?)

There's also a 7 car DMU running from Aberdeen to Inverurie in the evening peak, 5 cars carry on to Inverness.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
I remember in the 90's that Paisley Gilmour Street and Greenock Central had Car Stop 9 Signs, but I can't ever remember seeing 9 car trains. Does anyone know of situations where this may have happened. (Glasgow fair maybe? everyone going doon the wat er?)

There's also a 7 car DMU running from Aberdeen to Inverurie in the evening peak, 5 cars carry on to Inverness.



I remember a 9 car 314 running as a special for the visit of the tall ships to Greenock a few years ago. Not sure if any of the 380's run services in 8 car formation anymore, but some certainly run as 7 .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top