• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption between Frankfurt and Stuttgart

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
I'm booked to fly to Frankfurt tomorrow, on the way to Stuttgart, returning on Thursday. I've looked at the DB Navigator and there don't seem to be any decent connections, either direct or changing at Mannheim. Does anyone know what the basic cause of the disruption is? I'll l find it easier to deal with if I know which bits of track are closed, or whatever.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Frankfurt-Mannheim is disrupted 2-21 Jan according to bahn.com, with no direct services to the airport.

So it looks like a trip into the Hbf is needed, to pick up trains on diversionary routes.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
Thanks. The most practical routeing I've been offered is to go to Mainz and change there, but I'll see what is available from Frankfurt Hbf
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
Thanks. The most practical routeing I've been offered is to go to Mainz and change there, but I'll see what is available from Frankfurt Hbf
There is also a half-hourly express bus to Mannheim, but you'd probably prefer to avoid that.
 

Austriantrain

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2018
Messages
1,811
Thanks. The most practical routeing I've been offered is to go to Mainz and change there, but I'll see what is available from Frankfurt Hbf

The Germans here will know more, but as I understand it, diverted trains either serve Frankfurt Hbf or Mainz and Wiesbaden (the two latter on the ICE services to Köln). So both routes should be options for you. If you don’t need to book ahead, it might pay off to look out for delays on the spot and replan accordingly.
 
Last edited:

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
I chose to book for the Rail Replacement Bus from Frankfurt Airport to Mannheim. It is turning out to be as chaotic as such things are in GB. Fingers crossed that the generous transfer time (or the almost guaranteed DB delays) at Mannheim will cope with the built in delay due to the first bus being full.

Later:

A relief bus has turned up, seriously more comfortable than the one that left me behind, and has set off only 15 mins after that one

Later still:

Fascinating to see overhead electrification catenary on the inside lane of the autobahn we are on.
 
Last edited:

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
Thanks. I don't think I saw any pantograph trucks during the relatively short time we were on it.
 

paul_munich

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2019
Messages
87
Location
Munich
Thanks. I don't think I saw any pantograph trucks during the relatively short time we were on it.
Only ten of them exist so fare. Because of the massive "success" they expanded the OHLE section on A5 motorway now to a total of 12km.
It is a massiv waste of taxpayers money if you ask me.
-
The Frankfurt-Mannheim line (so called Riedbahn) is currently closed from 01.01 til 22.01 as kind of a test run for the major closure between 15.07 and Christmas, as part of the general renovation? (Generalsanierung) of the core network, where we bundle construction works for the first time and close a whole line completely.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top