andrewkeith5
Member
I was on the 1806 London Victoria to Brighton express service this evening. This was the service where a passenger was taken ill between Victoria and Clapham Junction. From my understanding the passenger was very seriously ill and their condition meant the train was unable to move from the platform for circa 45 minutes. This put platform 13 out of action for around an hour.
I thought it worth posting to commend the staff at Clapham Junction on dealing very well with what was clearly a very challenging incident at one of the busiest times of the weekend. Unfortunately the timetable of southbound trains didn't play into your favour, and although I was slightly concerned for the safety of passengers on the very crowded platform 15 (the only platform southbound services could call), overall I think the situation was managed very well.
The situation wasn't really helped by the relatively slow arrival of an ambulance, although I'm sure there was good reason for the delay.
I was also pleased to see that most of the affected passengers didn't seem too put out by the situation. The plan to send people heading south back to Victoria to catch trains at their start was an interesting decision but with the crowding of the station - and what I'm sure was a similarly bad situation at East Croydon, I think it was the only option. Although I'm not sure letting the Gatwick Express and some other trains pass through almost empty without stopping was a good idea - an extra stop would have helped clear the crowds much more quickly. I decided to simply wait until the whole situation died down and was only delayed by around 1:10hrs whilst I waited for a service which was relatively quiet.
Of course, if anyone does know the person who was taken ill, I hope that they recover and get back to full heath quickly.
I thought it worth posting to commend the staff at Clapham Junction on dealing very well with what was clearly a very challenging incident at one of the busiest times of the weekend. Unfortunately the timetable of southbound trains didn't play into your favour, and although I was slightly concerned for the safety of passengers on the very crowded platform 15 (the only platform southbound services could call), overall I think the situation was managed very well.
The situation wasn't really helped by the relatively slow arrival of an ambulance, although I'm sure there was good reason for the delay.
I was also pleased to see that most of the affected passengers didn't seem too put out by the situation. The plan to send people heading south back to Victoria to catch trains at their start was an interesting decision but with the crowding of the station - and what I'm sure was a similarly bad situation at East Croydon, I think it was the only option. Although I'm not sure letting the Gatwick Express and some other trains pass through almost empty without stopping was a good idea - an extra stop would have helped clear the crowds much more quickly. I decided to simply wait until the whole situation died down and was only delayed by around 1:10hrs whilst I waited for a service which was relatively quiet.
Of course, if anyone does know the person who was taken ill, I hope that they recover and get back to full heath quickly.