I am about to book a journey in 1st Class from Euston to Preston so decided to compare Virgin and East Coast web sites to see if the fares match. Lo and behold, they don't. For example:
Tuesday 26 July:
0730 and 0830 departures, and all departures from 1630 to 1930, best advance prices:
Virgin: £81.50
East Coast: £114
For many, if not most trains on that date, it's cheaper on Virgin's site to book a 1st Class advance than it is to go standard.
And the fares are available, I got as far as seat allocation.
This could apply to other routes, definitely worth checking.
(Don't know if this is old news but I thought it worth highlighting. It doesn't seem to say that cheaper fares are only available on Virgin's web site, whereas it does for East Coast with the 10% discount on their own fares.)
Tuesday 26 July:
0730 and 0830 departures, and all departures from 1630 to 1930, best advance prices:
Virgin: £81.50
East Coast: £114
For many, if not most trains on that date, it's cheaper on Virgin's site to book a 1st Class advance than it is to go standard.
And the fares are available, I got as far as seat allocation.
This could apply to other routes, definitely worth checking.
(Don't know if this is old news but I thought it worth highlighting. It doesn't seem to say that cheaper fares are only available on Virgin's web site, whereas it does for East Coast with the 10% discount on their own fares.)