• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disparity between platform indicator and live departures web page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprunt

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
1,642
I catch a train from Hornsey to Moorgate each morning, and from where I stand on the platform I'm unable to see the extreme right of the platform indicator. This morning, I could see that the next train was delayed, but the expected arrival time wasn't visible - I could only see the "Exp" in "Expected", so I loaded the live departures page for the station on my phone to see if it was a serious delay. On there, the train was still shown as being on time.

How does this happen? It was only delayed by a couple of minutes, so I'm not angry about it, I'm just curious. I would have assumed that both the platform indicator and the live departures page would take their data from the same source, is this not the case? Or does the departures page only refresh its data intermittently, so that a delay like this that only pops up shortly before the train is due would not be reflected?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,286
Location
Connah's Quay
I don't think it's right, though. The nationalrail.co.uk site does (or, at least, did) list different delays to trains on its journey planner to those it gives on its live departure board page. I don't know if this is a difference in the data each uses or in the way it interprets it, but my experience was that the live departure board was more likely to report a delay accurately than the journey planner.

It could be worth checking both pages the next time this sort of thing happens, anyway.
 

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
1,605
Location
Kent
It is a coincidence that you posted this question as it something I have wondered and wanted to know the answer for a while. There are lot of stations where trains show on the display board as "arrived" when they haven't
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,297
It is a coincidence that you posted this question as it something I have wondered and wanted to know the answer for a while. There are lot of stations where trains show on the display board as "arrived" when they haven't
I think it’s because the signalling system cannot necessarily resolve the train position accurately enough. Arrived may well be displayed as soon as a train enters the track section that includes the platform. In two aspect areas that can be a few minutes away.

On my local line (Fareham to Southampton) RTT is presently showing a service ‘arriving’ at both Netley and Sholing at the same time. This was previously explained to be because both stations are in the same signal section.
 
Last edited:

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
I think it’s because the signalling system cannot necessarily resolve the train position accurately enough. Arrived may well be displayed as soon as a train enters the track section that includes the platform. In two aspect areas that can be a few minutes away.

On my local line (Fareham to Southampton) RTT is presently showing a service ‘arriving’ at both Netley and Sholing at the same time. This was previously explained to be because both stations are in the same signal section.
This is correct.

The CIS systems (that drive most websites, apps and stations) all run off signal blocks. So a train may show as "arrived" even though it's round the corner. Similarly railway mapping systems (such as CCF and P2) are the same. There is a public version online that works in the same way.


How do you find the departure boards like this one for the stations?
Not available for many stations though, which is a shame.
I wonder if that's because Worldline provide the service. If the company doesn't pay for support from Worldline (for CIS or ticket machines), they (Worldline) wouldn't bother to code in a station CIS.
 

RailAleFan

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
337
Location
Midlands
There is a little more resolution than the train simply entering the track section containing the platform as the timing of that event is adjusted using data from SMART, essentially a database of offsets in seconds (positive and negative) from the time of a berth transition to an actual event occurring (e.g. arrived at XYZ platform 1).

If that happens to be in the future, Darwin doesn't wait until the actual time has been reached before broadcasting it, from which clients can then differentiate between "Arriving" / "Arrived" if desired.
 
Last edited:

underbank

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,486
Location
North West England
How does a "ghost" train occur? I.e. on real time trains and physically on the route, stopping at stations, but not shown on any of the departure boards hence lots of confused passengers when a train arrives at the platform that's not on the screens.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top