Interesting. Do you know this? Or have you just deduced it given how few days we have left to go?It seems that the public announcement of the expanded criteria will be made on Wednesday 30th September.
So wouldn’t you already qualify? I don’t think their list of disabilities is supposed to be exhaustive. Probably worth calling to check?Interesting. Do you know this? Or have you just deduced it given how few days we have left to go?
I'm genuinely curious as to what's in there. I appreciate that for some autistic people (and I've known them) train travel can be a distressing necessity, but for me it's not an issue so I'm not bothered by the fact I wouldn't qualify.
However having had a radical cystectomy and managing a stoma, the one thing I do find it limits significantly is travel. I'm spending more on trains recently as the coach, even if it has a toilet, is not an option for a long distance journey, especially overnight. The trains are manageable, but sometimes can present a challenge. What Lumo did a couple of months ago would have put me an impossible situation. I feel that it limits my life a fair bit, I try not to let it get me down and to find ways around it, but one of the bits it limits the most is using public transport. Even some buses are out. I am pretty sure I couldn't do Leeds to Whitby anymore. I'd simply have to travel by train at significantly increased cost.
I do not get PIP. I just about manage at home, I suppose (well barley actually), though my mental health nurse thinks I should. We're discussing it at our next appointment, but am unsure as to why claiming a benefit should make me any more disabled? A stoma only adds 2 points, though there are things that may give me more. Am unsure as a lot of the points are borderline as to what I'll get.The existing criteria are really clear, I do not know what could be checked there. The big question is, do you get PIP?
Others have indicated that they can be very accomodating, if you call them.I do not get PIP. I just about manage at home, I suppose (well barley actually), though my mental health nurse thinks I should. We're discussing it at our next appointment, but am unsure as to why claiming a benefit should make me any more disabled? A stoma only adds 2 points, though there are things that may give me more. Am unsure as a lot of the points are borderline as to what I'll get.
They've always been able to apply discretion, yes.Others have indicated that they can be very accomodating, if you call them.
It's a statement I would trust, personally.Interesting. Do you know this?
Although it varies by NHS area how easy it is to actually get them. I've had worsening hearing for several years and I think I was borderline for qualifying for aids, having taken about 9 months from first contacting my doctor. They've made a huge difference (and I really noticed when one needed minor maintenance).I gave up waiting for ADHD to be included and got a hearing test instead. Mild hearing impairment qualifies you for a hearing aid on the NHS, and therefore a DPRC.
I intend to apply as soon as the eligibility is further expanded. I have a moderate case of both ADHD and Asperger's (personally I don't think it's that severe but I've been told it is) and, while I hadn't really thought about it before, on reflection I do think this means I incur higher rail costs than other people (I find being in crowds exceptionally unpleasant, so I book first class more often than others might, I take more expensive routes such as the NR1-T fare scales or HEX/GEX more often than someone indifferent to mode would, I am less able to use advance tickets, I end up missing off-peak boundaries through distraction, and I sometimes make "trips in vain" where I incur the rail costs without completing my objective).I don't actually think I should be getting a third off rail fares for having ADHD but that's the government's problem to solve.
I had a nightmare getting a referral. I should say that it wasn’t just to get a railcard- I’ve had longstanding hearing issues.Although it varies by NHS area how easy it is to actually get them. I've had worsening hearing for several years and I think I was borderline for qualifying for aids, having taken about 9 months from first contacting my doctor. They've made a huge difference (and I really noticed when one needed minor maintenance).
Personally, I don’t think anyone should feel guilty for trying to get cheaper fares- they are far too expensive, and in any case there should be a national railcard that anyone can get, like in other countries.I intend to apply as soon as the eligibility is further expanded. I have a moderate case of both ADHD and Asperger's (personally I don't think it's that severe but I've been told it is) and, while I hadn't really thought about it before, on reflection I do think this means I incur higher rail costs than other people (I find being in crowds exceptionally unpleasant, so I book first class more often than others might, I take more expensive routes such as the NR1-T fare scales or HEX/GEX more often than someone indifferent to mode would, I am less able to use advance tickets, I end up missing off-peak boundaries through distraction, and I sometimes make "trips in vain" where I incur the rail costs without completing my objective).
Maybe that doesn't apply to you but if you incur higher rail costs, maybe in ways you hadn't thought about, then I don't think you need to feel too guilty about applying! I can see the argument that we shouldn't subsidise someone like me (and presumably you) who can easily afford the costs incurred but the industry has made a conscious decision to expand eligibility in this way.
(Another one I thought of is that I find "physical split ticketing" such as is required on Oyster/PAYG where you must exit and immediately reenter the gateline mid-journey too stressful to be worth it so I don't benefit from the lowest fares on my journeys; I am really not sure how TfL get away with a PAYG system that promises the lowest fares but actually requires physical splits for the lowest fare, and I wonder if they have considered the equalities implications of not applying such splits automatically?)
That makes you a normal person. Hardly anyone does that sort of thing.Another one I thought of is that I find "physical split ticketing" such as is required on Oyster/PAYG where you must exit and immediately reenter the gateline mid-journey too stressful to be worth it so I don't benefit from the lowest fares on my journeys;
Do they actually promise that?I am really not sure how TfL get away with a PAYG system that promises the lowest fares
My wife tried for a referral and gave up after waiting a significant amount of time - something over a year, I believe. She's off to Specsavers in a few days, having figured that going private is the only option.I had a nightmare getting a referral.
Ha, ha.That makes you a normal person. Hardly anyone does that sort of thing.
Do they actually promise that?
Oyster will calculate the cheapest fare for your travel simply by touching in and out on the Tube and Docklands Light Railway.
Might be still worth going to the NHS appointment when it comes through, otherwise you pay for everything.My wife tried for a referral and gave up after waiting a significant amount of time - something over a year, I believe. She's off to Specsavers in a few days, having figured that going private is the only option.
My wife tried for a referral and gave up after waiting a significant amount of time - something over a year, I believe. She's off to Specsavers in a few days, having figured that going private is the only option.
Have they claimed it more recently than 19 years ago?From a TfL press release:
Be aware that that will be a 4 figure sum she'll be paying. My free NHS aids would be over £1,600 privately. A private provider offered me ones at £5k.My wife tried for a referral and gave up after waiting a significant amount of time - something over a year, I believe. She's off to Specsavers in a few days, having figured that going private is the only option.