• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disabled persons freedom pass on the Elizabeth line

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffypanda1

New Member
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
So I have a disabled persons freedom pass. This morning at about 5am, I tried to take the Elizabeth line from Paddington. My pass wouldn’t open the barriers and then I was told by staff that I was not allowed to use it at that time so they wouldn’t let me through but I thought I was allowed to use it at all times on the Elizabeth line. Can anyone confirm this for me?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,785
So I have a disabled persons freedom pass. This morning at about 5am, I tried to take the Elizabeth line from Paddington. My pass wouldn’t open the barriers and then I was told by staff that I was not allowed to use it at that time so they wouldn’t let me through but I thought I was allowed to use it at all times on the Elizabeth line. Can anyone confirm this for me?
At that time of the morning it would have been at the main line station. AIUI they were wrong for Elizabeth Line but correct for GWR.

From what we read in these threads it seems that inadequate training of gateline staff is common across the industry. Such a mistake in a station shared by operators with different ticketing rules is disappointing but not surprising.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
Did you end up paying for an additional fare or did you travel later?

As @PeterC said, the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass is valid at all times on Elizabeth line services, even when operating from the high-level "National Rail" platforms at Paddington or Liverpool Street. So you should not have been refused entry once it was established you were using an Elizabeth line train.
 

generalnerd

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
455
Location
Hull
At that time of the morning it would have been at the main line station. AIUI they were wrong for Elizabeth Line but correct for GWR.

From what we read in these threads it seems that inadequate training of gateline staff is common across the industry. Such a mistake in a station shared by operators with different ticketing rules is disappointing but not surprising.
It’s a shame as well because usually I find TfL staff to be more knowledgable about the ticketing than most
 

fluffypanda1

New Member
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Did you end up paying for an additional fare or did you travel later?

As @PeterC said, the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass is valid at all times on Elizabeth line services, even when operating from the high-level "National Rail" platforms at Paddington or Liverpool Street. So you should not have been refused entry once it was established you were using an Elizabeth line train.
I work at Heathrow so ended up having to pay for the Heathrow express or I would’ve been late to work. Luckily, I get the tickets at a discount at least.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
Surely you could have bought a ticket (or used contactless) for the Elizabeth line?

But I would contact TfL to make a complaint and ask them to reimburse you the fare you paid. You won't necessarily have much success but it is worth trying.
 

fluffypanda1

New Member
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
I could have but the discount I get from working at Heathrow makes the Heathrow express actually cheaper which is why I went for that.
 

rebmcr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
4,005
Location
St Neots
I could have but the discount I get from working at Heathrow makes the Heathrow express actually cheaper which is why I went for that.
This is fortunate, but you were still discriminated against, I think unlawfully? But certainly against the policy for your pass.

Perhaps the Disputes & Prosecutions section of this forum could advise on how best to rectify this. (Edit: this was composed before the thread moved)
 
Last edited:

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,284
But I would contact TfL to make a complaint and ask them to reimburse you the fare you paid. You won't necessarily have much success but it is worth trying.
I don't think we know if it was TfL or GWR that denied entry do we?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
I don't think we know if it was TfL or GWR that denied entry do we?
It sounds like it was probably GWR staff, but that doesn't really matter as far as the OP is concerned.

The OP's pass entitled them to travel with GTS, the Elizabeth line operator (whose customer service is of course handled by TfL). GTS are liable for the actions of any staff acting on their behalf, whether employed by them, LU, GWR or anyone else.
 
Last edited:

agk2126

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2025
Messages
68
Location
London
But I would contact TfL to make a complaint and ask them to reimburse you the fare you paid. You won't necessarily have much success but it is worth trying.

Assuming you typically ride the Elizabeth Line, your Freedom Pass history could be evidence of your typical journeys from Paddington. While not proof, it would help support your statement to TfL that you did not intend to pay for the Heathrow Express this morning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top