• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disability blogging - London Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

londontransit

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
214
Location
London
As perhaps the only disability blogger who is not reporting on disability access issues in transport but generally historic stuff about UK railways/the tube and some international systems, I thought, unlike others who are bloggers and vloggers and are not disabled, I ought to be able to post new items from my blog here. The first of these is on the history of the Bakerloo line. One aspect of the post challenges the common notion on how the line got its name while other aspects illustrate the appreciation people had for the line's new colour schemes and also how the Bakerloo paved the way for 'OPO' etc. My English and construction might be a tad off but then language, especially of the oral kind, isn't even a skill I have.

The ‘Bakerloo tube’

Generally I publish every week or so, sometimes more. I'll post other new items here as they get published. Thx.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pigeon

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2015
Messages
1,123
The white text on black background is pretty hard to read.

Also, get rid of <div id="preloader">.
 

londontransit

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
214
Location
London
Not sure what <div id="preloader"> as don't think I am using it. Maybe you can detail how I am using it?

People who speak are almost invariably difficult to lipread and it makes my life pretty hard trying to get ahead. It makes others very angry too because they think I ought to speak, communicate, properly. But I'm sure no-one knows about that. Sure the black/white text was an experiment because its very trying to read black text on white and it affects my eyesight quite badly. Sorry.
 
Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
I think the white on black works fine and it's an interesting read - nice work
 

londontransit

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
214
Location
London
Was posting about Italy today but in light of the unfortunate cable car accident in the same locality that was deferred. In lieu of that another newly completed post was used instead. It covers the Elizabeth line and how other older structures (including Barmouth railway bridge) which used GRC (glassfibre reinforced concrete) widely yet are many decades older and these hold up miles better compared to the Elizabeth line's increasingly filthy GRC panels with just three years of use.

Elizabeth line vs other GRC structures.
 

londontransit

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
214
Location
London
Knightsbridge's new tube station facility including ticket hall and lifts opened this morning.

Will do a write up later.
 

londontransit

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
214
Location
London
Everyone knows its the Bakerloo tube - but did you know there was an attempt to christen it the Bakerloobe?

Some newspapers in 1906 used that name in preference to the other. Examples of those are highlighted in this latest article on the Bakerloo's early history.

The Bakerloobe
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top