• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Direct trains between Sidcup and Bexleyheath lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Makes sense - compared with just a couple of trains each way in the normal timetable. The regular trains via Slade Green continue to run.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
Its an adaptation of a rounder service instead running to Charing Cross. Has happened quite a few times. Doubt it will be well loaded at all as the locals will just get the bus.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Its an adaptation of a rounder service instead running to Charing Cross. Has happened quite a few times. Doubt it will be well loaded at all as the locals will just get the bus.
Even to go to London?
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Its an adaptation of a rounder service instead running to Charing Cross. Has happened quite a few times. Doubt it will be well loaded at all as the locals will just get the bus.

There was an even madder variation of this a couple of years back: Orpington to the Cross via the the Lee spur, down the Sidcup, back up the Bexleyheath line, if memory serves...
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
There was an even madder variation of this a couple of years back: Orpington to the Cross via the the Lee spur, down the Sidcup, back up the Bexleyheath line, if memory serves...

I remember that! A friend of mine got this and didn't travel by train much and queried the +60min journey!
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,521
Location
Taunton or Kent
There was an even madder variation of this a couple of years back: Orpington to the Cross via the the Lee spur, down the Sidcup, back up the Bexleyheath line, if memory serves...
I remember that! A friend of mine got this and didn't travel by train much and queried the +60min journey!
Yes that was my first experience of the Lee spur (and many others I imagine), I think (correct me if I'm wrong), they did this during the final works around London Bridge and/or the Bermondsey Dive under area?
 

SlimJim1694

Member
Joined
8 Jan 2020
Messages
277
Location
Medway
Yeah it was. I had the pleasure of running a couple of those. Think it was via Woolwich and sidcup though, not bexleyheath.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
From Sidcup - yes. I doubt people would take the 30 minute train back on themselves towards say Welling rather than take a bus.
Yes, but when I said "to London" I was thinking London termini, rather than the nextdoor suburb - where even from Sidcup the longer journey is balanced by the convenience of a through train.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Yes, but when I said "to London" I was thinking London termini, rather than the nextdoor suburb - where even from Sidcup the longer journey is balanced by the convenience of a through train.
I agree, some people will use them from Sidcup. More will do so from Bexley and Crayford.
 

DVD

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2009
Messages
76
Location
Sidcup
I live in Sidcup so will probably use the service via the Crayford Spur and Bexleyheath line once or twice next week as it is relatively rare routing. I note that it's running at half hour intervals (including at peak times) but that the journey time from Sidcup to Charing Cross is 58 to 60 minutes. It would certainly be more attractive to those travelling from the Crayford end. Presumably the down service from Charing Cross will not be advertised as running to Sidcup as this might mislead the unwary into thinking the route via Hither Green is running as normal.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
Yes, but when I said "to London" I was thinking London termini, rather than the nextdoor suburb - where even from Sidcup the longer journey is balanced by the convenience of a through train.

Yep the further towards Dartford you get, the more attractive the option is. I was saying most locals starting at Sidcup wouldn't think "oh stay on this through train go back on myself and loop towards London", rather "oh I'll hope on a bus and catch my train there". Travelcards and PAYG is being accepted but not National Rail only tickets which might nudge people towards the train.

Much like the Bexleyheath line work earlier in the year, I reckon people will tend to stay at home - even more so given the current situation.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
I live in Sidcup so will probably use the service via the Crayford Spur and Bexleyheath line once or twice next week as it is relatively rare routing. I note that it's running at half hour intervals (including at peak times) but that the journey time from Sidcup to Charing Cross is 58 to 60 minutes. It would certainly be more attractive to those travelling from the Crayford end. Presumably the down service from Charing Cross will not be advertised as running to Sidcup as this might mislead the unwary into thinking the route via Hither Green is running as normal.

Advertising is an interesting one, but as it's actually via Bexleyheath I suspect it will say "Sidcup via Bexleyheath" on the CIS etc. That wouldn't sound normal to most.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top