• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dingy Tunnel in Leeds Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
Who remembers the dirty tunnel ? From the barriers under to what is platform 15 ?

A station employee tells me that it is all there and just a temporary plug at each end ?

Can anyone back that up or dispel
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,404
Location
Yorks
I remember rushing through it on many occasions. No idea whats down there now though.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
It was awful. I'd forgotten all about it until you reminded me. It stank of the bogs all the time. Grim.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I can just remember the footbridge at the old Leeds "New" then "City" station!

Then, in the late 60s, that was replaced by the subway you mention, with the foul-smelling Gents toilets on the left-hand side as you went to the platforms.

At least today's bridge with waiting area and escalators is a big improvement.

P.S. posted the same time as 4SRKT
Interesting that the one thing which comes back to both our minds is the stinking loos!
 
Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
It was even worse if you actually had to visit the toilets!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
OP - It has been discussed a fair bit on here - the conclusion gained almost all of the time is that it is still extent, just (obviously) now blocked off from the surface. Whether it's still in use as a store or similar and accessed from another staff-only part of the station or is just totally abandoned is anyone's guess though (I'd presume the latter).
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,714
Location
Nottingham
I'd expect there would still be access to it from somewhere, as it would need inspecting from time to time. It may also be used for carrying cables under the track or similar.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,925
A lot of places have hidden subways and tunnels that you'd never guess were there - the place I work has at least 1 accessible (to staff, via a bugger of a manhole) and 1 inaccessible (I think it may have been filled in now) subway, plus a massive undercroft and various hidden rooms. Great fun to explore if you're spare!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Actually for these who might not have been aware but on Platform 8 by the barriers, if you look where the escalators are they are actually sited on the old steps leading to the disused passenger subway.

I remember having to use said subway all the time when travelling via Leeds to Accrington/Blackpool North as a little boy in the 80s and early 90s when visiting family.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,404
Location
Yorks
Actually for these who might not have been aware but on Platform 8 by the barriers, if you look where the escalators are they are actually sited on the old steps leading to the disused passenger subway.

I remember having to use said subway all the time when travelling via Leeds to Accrington/Blackpool North as a little boy in the 80s and early 90s when visiting family.

I'm pretty sure the stairs were nearer to where the barriers are.

I remember during the transition period using the footbridge to get to the new platform 16 whilst still using the subway to get to the other platforms.
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
I remember it but was very young at the time, I've tried before to find some photos of it but to no avail. Has anyone got any stored away somewhere??
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I'm pretty sure the stairs were nearer to where the barriers are.

I remember during the transition period using the footbridge to get to the new platform 16 whilst still using the subway to get to the other platforms.

It was more then 20 years ago that I used to use Leeds on a regular basis ;) I stopped using it on a regular basis when I was 8 yrs old, I'm now 29....
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,104
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
Went down there back in 92 right out under what is now P15 trying to locate water pipe routings. 3 Days in there.

When I moved over to renewals at Leeds our garage and mess rooms were in the Dark Arches.
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
I'm pretty sure the stairs were nearer to where the barriers are.

I remember during the transition period using the footbridge to get to the new platform 16 whilst still using the subway to get to the other platforms.

Yes, that is my recollection too. The top of the stairs down to the subway would have been just beyond the barriers on the left hand side (from the concourse), just behind the information kiosk thing on platform 8.

The area around the current barriers has changed enormously since the station was rebuilt. There were only three bay platforms then, and the area between the old platforms 3 and 5 was wide enough at the concourse end to accomodate a large(ish) walk-in information centre next to the top of the subway steps. Back then it was the only place with heating anywhere on the platform side of the barriers!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Yes, that is my recollection too. The top of the stairs down to the subway would have been just beyond the barriers on the left hand side (from the concourse), just behind the information kiosk thing on platform 8.

The area around the current barriers has changed enormously since the station was rebuilt. There were only three bay platforms then, and the area between the old platforms 3 and 5 was wide enough at the concourse end to accomodate a large(ish) walk-in information centre next to the top of the subway steps. Back then it was the only place with heating anywhere on the platform side of the barriers!

Wasn't it part of a waiting room too?
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
I don't remember it being an official waiting room, I just remember it being used as an unofficial one in winter because it was heated. Having one day discovered it was warm in there, I frequently found excuses to go in for pocket timetables in winter!

Of course I could be wrong, it's a long time since. I can't find any photographs of this particular area of the old City Station, either on-line or amongst my own. Plenty of the main concourse area and plenty of the platform area - but not the area around the ticket barriers. (I would think that quite a niche branch of railway photography though!)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,404
Location
Yorks
Ah, cheers for posting those.

The second one looks familiar - the passenger subway of yore me thinks.

Are the loos in picture 3 somewhere else though ? (I seem to recall a metal urinal in the subway toilet).

Presumably there are some (ex ?) school pupils still waiting for their projects back :lol:
 
Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
Interesting photographs - where was (is?) the phone mounted on the wall though? Don't ever remember seeing that!
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
Not sure tbh, these are a work mates photos not mine, could have been the staff toilets i guess, when i next see her i'll ask. Here are a few more.

ls5.jpg ls6.jpg ls7.jpg
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
According to the Secret Leeds forum mentioned above, the subway and its rooms have been totally stripped of all fittings, which might explain the great urinal mystery - I would therefore assume the third pic is of some form of staff facilities located away from the subway.

When was the subway closed btw?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top