• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dimensions of closed and demolished stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebaz

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2016
Messages
496
Location
Purley
I'm interested in modelling Broadstone station on the old S&DJR and I want to know how many carriages would fit into the platforms back in the day. In other words how long were the platforms? I've seen plenty of photographs and seen a couple of plans from Mitchell/Smith books (but unfortunately they're not to any obvious scale.

Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,787
Location
St Albans
I'm interested in modelling Broadstone station on the old S&DJR and I want to know how many carriages would fit into the platforms back in the day. In other words how long were the platforms? I've seen plenty of photographs and seen a couple of plans from Mitchell/Smith books (but unfortunately they're not to any obvious scale.

Any suggestions?
The maps in the Mitchell/Smith books are usually extracts from the 25":1 mile OS maps - if altered in scale from this they usually say so.

Sadly your station of interest is not yet covered by the http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/ website.

Have you seen this photo?:
Broadstone Station

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
(Click on the picture to go to the larger original.)
 

Thebaz

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2016
Messages
496
Location
Purley
The maps in the Mitchell/Smith books are usually extracts from the 25":1 mile OS maps - if altered in scale from this they usually say so.


Thanks, I didn't know that. So hopefully the ones in the book didn't suffer from any distortion at the printers. If they are reproduced faithfully I should have no trouble scaling an image in AutoCAD. :D
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
There will have been a 1:480 scale plan of the station.

40 years ago they would have been held at DMO Wimbledon - someone here may know where those for closed stations have gone. NRM? Kew Archive?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top