LexyBoy
Established Member
After electrification, Thames Valley local services will have considerably more coaches at their disposal AIUI, as 2- and 3-car Turbos will be replaced with 4-car EMUs. At present there is no "competition" on the outer suburban section of the GWML, unlike the WCML and ECML, despite being a clear express/local split with the different journey times and levels of comfort you'd expect.
So, on the basis that the franchise is unlikely to be split up again (nor would I wish it to be), what are people's thoughts on whether there would be any benefit to FGW (or whoever's next) in openly offering cheaper tickets on the "local" services - I say "openly" because there's clearly a premium put on the Reading-Paddington journey which can be avoided by splitting at intermediate stations. There's also the more lenient peak restrictions on stopping services.
As an example, I'm naturally thinking of services from Reading. Travelling up in the peak, SDR fares are currently (paraphrasing routeings for clarity):
* Paddington (express, 25-30 mins): £41.20
* Waterloo (85 mins): £30.70
* Paddington (stopping, 45-65 mins): £27.20 (based on a split in Maidenhead)
I reckon that there will be a good number of people willing to have a longer journey (still considerably shorter than the SWT route) to save a tenner or so, and get a better chance of a seat to boot. It would be likely to attract those who would otherwise wait until Off Peak tickets become valid, so if correctly priced should increase revenue. It would also have potential to partially alleviate overcrowding on the fast services and to give FGW some comeback to the frequent complaints at the cost of the Reading-Paddington journey. Once Crossrail's running (assuming it's not extended to Reading), changing at Maidenhead and touching in with Oyster will be an obvious possibility which it might be prudent to pre-empt.
Downsides could be overcrowding at the eastern end, though this should be alleviated with Crossrail, and the difficulty of checking tickets on the expresses. FGW never seem too concerned with rigorous ticket checks though, and barriers could be programmed to reject tickets for local services on platforms 1-5 at Paddington. I also can't think of a way such tickets could be restricted, other rather clunkily creating a Super Off Peak Day category with a restriction code barring all fast trains, plus a CALLSMAIDNHEAD routeing to make it clear.
What do people think - could such tickets be profitable? Are there problems I've overlooked? Has this been done in the past?
So, on the basis that the franchise is unlikely to be split up again (nor would I wish it to be), what are people's thoughts on whether there would be any benefit to FGW (or whoever's next) in openly offering cheaper tickets on the "local" services - I say "openly" because there's clearly a premium put on the Reading-Paddington journey which can be avoided by splitting at intermediate stations. There's also the more lenient peak restrictions on stopping services.
As an example, I'm naturally thinking of services from Reading. Travelling up in the peak, SDR fares are currently (paraphrasing routeings for clarity):
* Paddington (express, 25-30 mins): £41.20
* Waterloo (85 mins): £30.70
* Paddington (stopping, 45-65 mins): £27.20 (based on a split in Maidenhead)
I reckon that there will be a good number of people willing to have a longer journey (still considerably shorter than the SWT route) to save a tenner or so, and get a better chance of a seat to boot. It would be likely to attract those who would otherwise wait until Off Peak tickets become valid, so if correctly priced should increase revenue. It would also have potential to partially alleviate overcrowding on the fast services and to give FGW some comeback to the frequent complaints at the cost of the Reading-Paddington journey. Once Crossrail's running (assuming it's not extended to Reading), changing at Maidenhead and touching in with Oyster will be an obvious possibility which it might be prudent to pre-empt.
Downsides could be overcrowding at the eastern end, though this should be alleviated with Crossrail, and the difficulty of checking tickets on the expresses. FGW never seem too concerned with rigorous ticket checks though, and barriers could be programmed to reject tickets for local services on platforms 1-5 at Paddington. I also can't think of a way such tickets could be restricted, other rather clunkily creating a Super Off Peak Day category with a restriction code barring all fast trains, plus a CALLSMAIDNHEAD routeing to make it clear.
What do people think - could such tickets be profitable? Are there problems I've overlooked? Has this been done in the past?
