• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different TOC, both legs of a return delayed. How to claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimo

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2009
Messages
81
Did a brief search, I couldn't find an appropriate thread with quite these vagaries.

Hoping the wisdom of the forum can suggest how I should go about claiming for a return journey which was done on different operators, both legs of which were delayed to varying degrees.

Do I only need to provide the physical ticket for the affected leg to the appropriate TOC to get this approved?

Think this makes sense, but anyone who thinks it's nonsense please advise:

Just want to make it simple to ensure I provide the relevant info to each TOC.

EUS-GLA
GLA-London Terminals (was a bank holiday weekend, so WCML was gubbed, returned on the ECML to KX)

Outward leg: Virgin (1hour+ delayed)
Return leg: East Coast (50mins delayed)

Initial purchase: Standard Off-peak Return was £114.70. For the return leg I did an onboard purchase of a 1st Class Weekend Supplement £25

The Virgin Charter says they will refund 25% of the affected portion - i.e. the outward leg. Though I didn't get a validated claim form on the train, I'll provide the ticket as proof of purchase as mentioned in their charter - do I only have to provide the part of the ticket I used to travel on Virgin?

The East Coast charter says they will refund at least 50% of the cost of either portion of a return ticket for delays between 30 and 59 minutes.

Am I right in assuming the TOC will just split the £114.70 down the middle, then calculate based off that? E.g. Virgin 'liable' for £57.35 of the cost so would refund £14.33 (25%)

EC are liable for £57.35, plus the £25 supplement, so will refund me £69.85 (50% of the total cost of return leg)

Do I need to complete three different forms - one for Virgin, one for EC for initial return ticket, and another EC claim for 50% of the 1st Supplement?

So I get back a total of £84.18 for an initial outlay of £139.70 - is that right?

tl;dr, are there any pitfalls to watch out for when claiming on both legs of a return, from two different TOCs, plus supplements?

Thanks for anyone who read this whole post!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,582
Location
LBK
Can't tell you about EC, but:

The Virgin Charter says they will refund 25% of the affected portion - i.e. the outward leg. Though I didn't get a validated claim form on the train, I'll provide the ticket as proof of purchase as mentioned in their charter - do I only have to provide the part of the ticket I used to travel on Virgin?

Yes.

Am I right in assuming the TOC will just split the £114.70 down the middle, then calculate based off that? E.g. Virgin 'liable' for £57.35 of the cost so would refund £14.33 (25%)

Yes. VT do however always round compensation up to at least the nearest whole pound.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
I don't understand your calculations for East Coast.

£57.35 + £25 is £82.35, so 50% of that is £46.18, or £47 rounded.

Assuming you had a two coupon ticket you only need to submit the relevant one to each TOC i.e the OUT portion to Virgin & the RTN portion to East Coast.

Make sure you keep photocopies, just in case !
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Since you can submit to EC online with a scan of your tickets, submit to EC that way and the originals to Virgin.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Do I need to complete three different forms - one for Virgin, one for EC for initial return ticket, and another EC claim for 50% of the 1st Supplement?
No, you only need to submit two claims, one to VT and one to EC

When you submit each claim you do not need to submit the original tickets, unless they are specified or requested
So far I have never sent the originals, supplying colour copies and retaining the originals
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top