Am I right in thinking that, on the passenger railway, drivers and guards work different shifts rather than staying together for a whole shift? Clearly both grades have different conditions of service, drivers, for example being allowed extra time at the beginning of a diagram to prepare the unit (DMU or whatever).
When I worked in the bus industry years ago, I recall that drivers and conductors (I said it was years ago) worked the same shifts and this must have been an advantage in times of disruption.
When I was out and about observing the fall-out from the May 2018 timetable in Manchester, with many crew changes scheduled at Victoria and Oxford Road, delays were often caused by one member of the relief crew arriving late, but rarely both.
What would be the pros and cons of changing to the system I remember on the buses, i.e. you have the same “mate” for a whole shift? I expect one would be extra cost as more guards would be required.
When I worked in the bus industry years ago, I recall that drivers and conductors (I said it was years ago) worked the same shifts and this must have been an advantage in times of disruption.
When I was out and about observing the fall-out from the May 2018 timetable in Manchester, with many crew changes scheduled at Victoria and Oxford Road, delays were often caused by one member of the relief crew arriving late, but rarely both.
What would be the pros and cons of changing to the system I remember on the buses, i.e. you have the same “mate” for a whole shift? I expect one would be extra cost as more guards would be required.