• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Didcot Power Station average coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
I couldn't find much info on a Google search, but I've wondered if there is some form of coverage map that Didcot P.S serve?

I've read on their history about the local small power stations closing and a new town of Milton Keynes being built, I assume it at least goes as far as Milton Keynes, but I've always wondered just how far it can actually cover. I'd imagine with such a big power output I might be surprised to see how far it does actually go.

I've wondered if it also powers London, but there probably is a station serving London somewhere, not that I can think of one nearby off the top of my head, if there is even one?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Didcot A (coal-fired) serves nowhere because it's been permanently decommissioned.

Didcot B (gas-fired) I'm not sure how much it covers, but surely because of the National Grid it's not a fixed area anyway?
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
It is Didcot A I'm more interested in because of it's decommissioning, I am putting something together about the coal by rail through the years, and thought a brief bit about Didcot P.S would be good. So I thought talking about how far it covered would be something to consider. However it's a challenge as I have no idea about power systems and power stations, until you said Didcot B is part of the national grid I never really thought about that.

Must look up about the national grid, would teach me something new!
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers
The high-voltage connections to other countries mean that electricity generated at Didcot (or anywhere else on the National Grid) can even be exported to Ireland, France or Holland - or vice versa.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Remembering a visit to Didcot PS in the late 70s, early 80s as a kid, I seem to remember it was mainly used as a booster station at the time, so when Corrie finished, they could ensure enough power was available for all the cups of tea that were being made! Well, that was their story anyhow...
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
It is Didcot A I'm more interested in because of it's decommissioning, I am putting something together about the coal by rail through the years, and thought a brief bit about Didcot P.S would be good. So I thought talking about how far it covered would be something to consider. However it's a challenge as I have no idea about power systems and power stations, until you said Didcot B is part of the national grid I never really thought about that.

Must look up about the national grid, would teach me something new!
Would a pic from the air showing the last bit of the coal reserves (taken at the end of March) be of any interest?
 

michael769

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2005
Messages
2,008
Didcot B (gas-fired) I'm not sure how much it covers, but surely because of the National Grid it's not a fixed area anyway?

This. Dicot feeds its power into the National Grid for distribution throughout the British Isles.
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
Just testing how to upload an image in a post rather than a link

Have managed a thumbnail but not a bigger picture

but I am getting there.

Clues anyone?
 

Attachments

  • didcot  2013-03-30-087.jpg
    didcot 2013-03-30-087.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 20

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Upload the picture to an imagesharing site like Imgur, then in the copyable links at the side copy the one under "BBCode" and paste it straight into a post.
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
Years back I did hear that Dicot sent electricity to France but not really sure about the truth of that as I have never really followed it up! Anyone know?
 

michael769

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2005
Messages
2,008
Years back I did hear that Dicot sent electricity to France but not really sure about the truth of that as I have never really followed it up! Anyone know?

As I already pointed out Didcot sends 100% of its output into the National Grid.

After that it gets mixed in with all the other power generated and by the time the power reaches it's end user it is not possible to tell where it came from.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Years back I did hear that Dicot sent electricity to France but not really sure about the truth of that as I have never really followed it up! Anyone know?

All powerstations feed the National Grid, the National Grid is attached to the European Grid by undersea cables, thus yes, it can power France.
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
As a former employee of National Grid I can reveal

Didcot A was mainly used as a baseload station like most coal, gas and nuclear stations.

The main sites for demand output due to instances like TV Pickup are from Hydro Electric or pumped storage sites (for example Dinorwig). This is because they can go from zero to full output in about 10 seconds, whereas a baseload type generator can take hours to even come online. This is because baseload stations are generally steam turbines and like steam locos need to get up to temperature and pressure. Where there is an urgent need in addition to the usual demand output capability there are various sites that NG pay to have a capability of being able to transmit to the grid. These are generally diesel generators and are used to bridge the gap until a tripped baseload generator or a new baseload generator is brought online.

It is very rare that the interconnectors with mainland Europe receive power from us. Although it's possible they're designed mainly to transmit power to our national grid. In fact I know of only one occasion where we have sent power to the continent.

It is normal for us to send power to Ireland as they tend to be short on generating capacity.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
As a former employee of National Grid I can reveal

Didcot A was mainly used as a baseload station like most coal, gas and nuclear stations.

The main sites for demand output due to instances like TV Pickup are from Hydro Electric or pumped storage sites (for example Dinorwig). This is because they can go from zero to full output in about 10 seconds, whereas a baseload type generator can take hours to even come online. This is because baseload stations are generally steam turbines and like steam locos need to get up to temperature and pressure. Where there is an urgent need in addition to the usual demand output capability there are various sites that NG pay to have a capability of being able to transmit to the grid. These are generally diesel generators and are used to bridge the gap until a tripped baseload generator or a new baseload generator is brought online.

It is very rare that the interconnectors with mainland Europe receive power from us. Although it's possible they're designed mainly to transmit power to our national grid. In fact I know of only one occasion where we have sent power to the continent.

Interesting, I was under the impression it was a fairly common affair sending power to Europe and back.

I'd always assumed powerstations just remain on unless they are shut down for maintainence. Are turbines regularly shut down and spun up? Is every powerstation expected to have a fixed output all the time (eg Drax is expected to output x number of kV and Sizewell y number?
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
An acquaintance of mine who works for one of the electric companies told me that coal plants were kept on warm standby, rather than for base load, due to the high emissions and consequent costs relative to gas or nucular. I was quite surprised as I'd imagined they took a long time to ramp up or down, but apparently modern-ish coal plants are as quick to respond as gas.

Would be interesting to hear if this view is accurate?
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Warm standby would involve burning coal...

The newest coal plant in the UK is not exactly modern. Drax phase 2 was opened in 1986, so is 27 years old.

Coal generates a third of the electricity (or did when I was there), probably nearer 25% now. Nuclear 19% - probably 15% now, and the majority of the rest is gas.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interesting, I was under the impression it was a fairly common affair sending power to Europe and back.

I'd always assumed powerstations just remain on unless they are shut down for maintainence. Are turbines regularly shut down and spun up? Is every powerstation expected to have a fixed output all the time (eg Drax is expected to output x number of kV and Sizewell y number?

Keeping the supply right is a balancing act based upon the frequency of the power (all power is AC 50 Hz).

Too much power supplied into the grid causes the frequency to exceed 50 Hz, so you need to reduce supply.

Too much demand means the frequency falls, so you either need to increase supply or in extreme cases reduce demand. The system can actually disconnect parts of the grid automatically to protect the rest of the system.

Most demand is forecast using weather forecasts, and by looking at previous real figures. As you would expect, demand is low until about 6am and gradually rises until about 9am where it spikes up. It's sustained until about 5pm where it starts to fall off, then gradually falls off until at about 11:30pm the demand is fairly low again.

Most power stations will know what is expected of them, and some are deliberately not run at full capacity so they have a spinning reserve available. They feed just enough steam to the turbines to regulate the frequency.

The idea of this is that if another station trips, then this can quickly be taken up with the stations that are designated as spinning reserves.

They aren't generally used for TV Pick ups because it's a very short term (about 10 minute) interval. Hydro provides that instant fix.

There are also some warming stations. effectively stations that can be ready to roll in 45 minutes. Useful when a station trips for a major fault, as it allows the spinning reserve stations to come down from full output.

There are various other factors including industrial customers who can disconnect some supplies at very short notice until the capacity is brought back up to strength.

Just as a point of correction, power generated is measured in watts. The scales generally in use for a power station are megawatts MW, and in the grid are gigawatts GW.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top