• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did station announcements used to be louder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourlish

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2025
Messages
24
Location
Swindon
As someone with autism I recall when travelling by train as a kid during the 2000s that many of the announcements at Great Western Railway stations were a borderline intolerable volume for me.

These days I tend to listen to music, but otherwise the announcements are generally an acceptable volume for me, and it makes me wonder if they have become quieter?

The videos I have seen of train station announcements suggest that the announcement system at the stations on the Great Western Railway was changed to what it currently is sometime in around 2011 or 2012 (I recall it being like now in 2014).

The announcement chime at Swindon has definitely changed - from sometime in the early 2000s up to the start of the 2010s it was this rather piercing 3 or 4 note bell chime, whereas it's now a more generic "bing bong" noise (which it looks to have also been in the 1990s based on video footage).

I suspect stations have far more speakers than they used to have which means they can have, say, 20 speakers playing a quieter announcement instead of three or four speakers outputting them at maximum volume.

I recall it used to be the case that you could often hear them a reasonable distance outside of the stations I'm familiar with, whereas this no longer seems the case.

The announcements onboard trains felt much the same volume to me in the 2000s to what they do now.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

izvor

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
596
Location
on the SER
Interesting question and, purely from my own personal experience, the answer must be yes. You have made me remember that, not so many years ago, I could hear the announcements from my local station (1 mile away) when the wind was in the right direction, and now I can't. I don't think that's due to escalating deafness!

To the reasons you give for this I would add: (a) that announcements are now mostly pre-recorded so the days of the local primadonna stationmaster shouting down a dodgy mic into a primitive sound system are over. Also (b) there is more housing surrounding many stations, and thus more potential noise complainants to pacify.
 

Gourlish

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2025
Messages
24
Location
Swindon
A lot of the announcements at Bath Spa in my experience are still live (and tend to be louder) while those at Swindon are now mostly prerecorded, despite both stations feeling a comparable size (Bath gets more passenger traffic while Swindon feels slightly bigger physically).

Based on a couple of clips I've seen, the announcement chime that Glasgow Central was using in the mid-late 1980s was particularly piercing. I think it consisted of three notes and sounded across between a train horn and an electronic siren.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top