• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did REPs and TCs ever work together with other Southern EMUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
Just wondering if REPs or TCs were ever coupled with CIGs, CEPs or VEPs in passenger service, and indeed if they were compatable?

Obviously I know the power ratios would deem this unusual...for example a VEP and a TC together would be extremely low-powered, so if would have to be on specials or rescuing failed units etc...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
Just wondering if REPs or TCs were ever coupled with CIGs, CEPs or VEPs in passenger service, and indeed if they were compatable?

Obviously I know the power ratios would deem this unusual...for example a VEP and a TC together would be extremely low-powered, so if would have to be on specials or rescuing failed units etc...

REP+4TC+something else would be possible.

4TC, being a tailer only unit, did not work with other MUs without a REP. They did however work with Cl33/73s. Indeed, I seem to remember that a cl33/73+4TC+certain EMUs was also possible.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
REP+4TC+something else would be possible.

4TC, being a tailer only unit, did not work with other MUs without a REP. They did however work with Cl33/73s. Indeed, I seem to remember that a cl33/73+4TC+certain EMUs was also possible.

hmm ta. Now wondering if there are any photos..
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
hmm ta. Now wondering if there are any photos..

I probably have some 35mm slides somewhere.

What you might want to do is look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_432
which I have just done.

If you weren't there, do those of us who were a favour, don't use "Hmm" which is synonymous with "not sure you are right". I know I am not perfect, but my memory is pretty faithfull, and always ready to be corrected.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
I probably have some 35mm slides somewhere.

What you might want to do is look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_432
which I have just done.

If you weren't there, do those of us who were a favour, don't use "Hmm" which is synonymous with "not sure you are right". I know I am not perfect, but my memory is pretty faithfull, and always ready to be corrected.

Hmm is also synonymous with " Hmm interesting....", just for the record.
 

Waldgrun

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2011
Messages
306
I am trying to recall the exact date, but around 1988 or 89 there was a mixed working from Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo, via the direct route (Haslemere).
It was Saturdays only, I think it was either the 10.14 or the 11.14 service. I believe that class 33 + 4TC worked a stopping service from Southampton to Portsmouth where it Joined to a 4 Vep, this service never seemed to run to time! Also I recall that the formation, differed most weeks, i.e. 33 leading one week, at the rear the next! The running of this service using this mixture of stock didn't last, more than one timetable!
 

Attachments

  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 110

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
Hmm is also synonymous with " Hmm interesting....", just for the record.

"I didn't know that" would be even better.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am trying to recall the exact date, but around 1988 or 89 there was a mixed working from Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo, via the direct route (Haslemere).
It was Saturdays only, I think it was either the 10.14 or the 11.14 service. I believe that class 33 + 4TC worked a stopping service from Southampton to Portsmouth where it Joined to a 4 Vep, this service never seemed to run to time! Also I recall that the formation, differed most weeks, i.e. 33 leading one week, at the rear the next! The running of this service using this mixture of stock didn't last, more than one timetable!

Well, the fact is that most anything on the old Southern region in that time-frame could work together, including the 4REPs. I also believe they did if needed. The 4TCs were just hauled/pushed coaches.
 

Emblematic

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2013
Messages
659
"I didn't know that" would be even better.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Well, the fact is that most anything on the old Southern region in that time-frame could work together, including the 4REPs. I also believe they did if needed. The 4TCs were just hauled/pushed coaches.
I recall reading that the 4REPs needed to have motors cut out when working in multiple with other powered units. With the REP having around 3000hp on it's own, that would make sense - Desiros on DC are derated so that 2*444 or 3*450 produce a similar power level.
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
I recall reading that the 4REPs needed to have motors cut out when working in multiple with other powered units. With the REP having around 3000hp on it's own, that would make sense - Desiros on DC are derated so that 2*444 or 3*450 produce a similar power level.

Never heard that one.
 

bangor-toad

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2009
Messages
672
Just wondering if REPs or TCs were ever coupled with CIGs, CEPs or VEPs in passenger service, and indeed if they were compatable?

Obviously I know the power ratios would deem this unusual...for example a VEP and a TC together would be extremely low-powered, so if would have to be on specials or rescuing failed units etc...

Hi there,
In summary; yes, the 4TC, the 3TC and the 4REPs were compatible with other SR stock of the same era and yes, the TC's and 4REPs were coupled up to others.


The usual operation was 4TC+4TC+4REP with a class 33 taking the 4TC+4TC set onwards.
There was also a reasonable common use of a 33+either a 3TC or 4TC.

There was a timetabled working (sorry can't remember exactly when) whereby a 33+4TC would couple up with a 4VEP unit at Basingstoke and make it's way to Waterloo. This could end up occasionally with any possible mix of up to 2 class 33's or 73's, a couple of 3TC's or 4TC and one or two 4VEP units. Of course, you couldn't have all of that in a single formation but sometimes the trains were 13 carriages / locos long.

On odd occasions pairs of 4VEPs were used as the tractor unit to move 4TC's around. However this was normally for ECS moves as 4VEPs couldn't supply heat and light to the 4TC units.

4REP units were powerful. (3200hp!) From what I remember there's a conductor rail index for 3rd rail system - each unit has a certain power draw and you can't exceed the local supply. 4REPs were 14 and the line limit of the time was usually 16. That means you couldn't connect any more than a 2 car unit and draw power - this meant only a 2EPB could be used.
if anything more than a 2EPB needed to connected to a 4REP, then you needed to disconnect some of the 4REP traction motors to ensure they didn't draw current and so that the consist wouldn't exceed to line index.


There's lots of info out there about units of this era. For example, check out the info on http://www.semgonline.com/

Cheers,
Mr Toad
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
"I didn't know that" would be even better.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Well, the fact is that most anything on the old Southern region in that time-frame could work together, including the 4REPs. I also believe they did if needed. The 4TCs were just hauled/pushed coaches.

ok, Didnt know my posts had to be approved or edited by you before I posted them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi there,
In summary; yes, the 4TC, the 3TC and the 4REPs were compatible with other SR stock of the same era and yes, the TC's and 4REPs were coupled up to others.


The usual operation was 4TC+4TC+4REP with a class 33 taking the 4TC+4TC set onwards.
There was also a reasonable common use of a 33+either a 3TC or 4TC.

There was a timetabled working (sorry can't remember exactly when) whereby a 33+4TC would couple up with a 4VEP unit at Basingstoke and make it's way to Waterloo. This could end up occasionally with any possible mix of up to 2 class 33's or 73's, a couple of 3TC's or 4TC and one or two 4VEP units. Of course, you couldn't have all of that in a single formation but sometimes the trains were 13 carriages / locos long.

On odd occasions pairs of 4VEPs were used as the tractor unit to move 4TC's around. However this was normally for ECS moves as 4VEPs couldn't supply heat and light to the 4TC units.

4REP units were powerful. (3200hp!) From what I remember there's a conductor rail index for 3rd rail system - each unit has a certain power draw and you can't exceed the local supply. 4REPs were 14 and the line limit of the time was usually 16. That means you couldn't connect any more than a 2 car unit and draw power - this meant only a 2EPB could be used.
if anything more than a 2EPB needed to connected to a 4REP, then you needed to disconnect some of the 4REP traction motors to ensure they didn't draw current and so that the consist wouldn't exceed to line index.


There's lots of info out there about units of this era. For example, check out the info on http://www.semgonline.com/

Cheers,
Mr Toad
Nice, thanks for the info, man.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am trying to recall the exact date, but around 1988 or 89 there was a mixed working from Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo, via the direct route (Haslemere).
It was Saturdays only, I think it was either the 10.14 or the 11.14 service. I believe that class 33 + 4TC worked a stopping service from Southampton to Portsmouth where it Joined to a 4 Vep, this service never seemed to run to time! Also I recall that the formation, differed most weeks, i.e. 33 leading one week, at the rear the next! The running of this service using this mixture of stock didn't last, more than one timetable!

;)
 

cossie4i

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
322
Location
Somerset
I would just cut the 10 point out if running with Reps and other stock to keep below the Current Limit Index ( keeping it as near to the max as possible)
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Hi there,
....4REP units were powerful. (3200hp!) From what I remember there's a conductor rail index for 3rd rail system - each unit has a certain power draw and you can't exceed the local supply. 4REPs were 14 and the line limit of the time was usually 16. That means you couldn't connect any more than a 2 car unit and draw power - this meant only a 2EPB could be used. ....

Cheers,
Mr Toad

This just shows how inadequate 3rd rail is for modern traction. Most current 8-car configurations need to take more than 3200HP to give full performance. Instead, they are crippled through their firmware.
The system potentially fails to deliver on anything more than low density rural or metro routes.
 

cossie4i

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
322
Location
Somerset
This just shows how inadequate 3rd rail is for modern traction. Most current 8-car configurations need to take more than 3200HP to give full performance. Instead, they are crippled through their firmware.
The system potentially fails to deliver on anything more than low density rural or metro routes.

A 12car 395 on DC is unbelievable slow
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,429
Location
S Yorks, usually
Good old 400s, I liked the Ceps best.

As said all 400 type stock could work in multiple.

...except the 4-SUBs, which lasted long enough to get a 400 type TOPS class number (class 405). They couldn't multiple with the other class 4xx units.

Meanwhile, here's an oddity (my photo on another forum), a 73 with 3 de-motored coaches off a REP and a 4-TC behind:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17552-bournemouth-electrification-tcs/?p=167426

And there were odd railtours including one with 73/1+4-TC+Mk1 buffet+4-TC+73/1. The SR had two Mk1 buffet cars wired for EMU multi working.
Details at http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/790120da.htm

Very early on, there was an 8-VAB formed out of 4-VEP coaches, an 8-car unit with 3 motor coaches. This was to work with a single 4-TC. See http://www.semgonline.com/proto/8vab.html for example.
Decent photos showing it with a 4-TC seem hard to come by, but there's one here:
http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages EMU/Recognition EMU/IllusEMU_423.html
 

bigdelboy

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2012
Messages
198
... Meanwhile, here's an oddity (my photo on another forum), a 73 with 3 de-motored coaches off a REP and a 4-TC behind:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17552-bournemouth-electrification-tcs/?p=167426

AFAIK (and i may wrong) this would have been a REP with one motor coach replaced by the 73; the other being live. This was to cope during the transition to 442's where motors were being taken out of the REP's and into the 442's. The even more odd replacement i happened to travel on was with a 33/1 replacing the motor coach ... the poor 33/1 found itself thrashed along at 93mph or so (unverified). I think there were a few other cobbled formations at this time as well.
 

cossie4i

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
322
Location
Somerset
I thought 33s had a max speed of 85mph, I can't remember at what speed the over speed governor kicked in and cuts power.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,429
Location
S Yorks, usually
... Meanwhile, here's an oddity (my photo on another forum), a 73 with 3 de-motored coaches off a REP and a 4-TC behind:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17552-bournemouth-electrification-tcs/?p=167426

AFAIK (and i may wrong) this would have been a REP with one motor coach replaced by the 73; the other being live. This was to cope during the transition to 442's where motors were being taken out of the REP's and into the 442's. The even more odd replacement i happened to travel on was with a 33/1 replacing the motor coach ... the poor 33/1 found itself thrashed along at 93mph or so (unverified). I think there were a few other cobbled formations at this time as well.
You might well be right - it was a confusing period. I just had a look at the original of my scan, but it's hard to see if the motor coach still had pick-up shoes or not. But Ive another photo from then of a 73 pushing a complete 4-car REP+4-TC, where it's clear there are no shoes.
On the other hand, I only noted 73+7 (=8-car) formations, and never saw 73+11 format (=12-car), which you might expect with enough power from half a REP plus a 73.
Don't know, but regardless, the Southern's ingenious recycling strikes again.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
I saw one of those 73+7 formations in platform 2 at Epsom once, working an evening peak from Waterloo - this was during a somewhat disrupted day in winter. Unfortunately I was on my way home from work at the time and did not have my camera with me!
 

lewisf

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2009
Messages
381
Location
Kingston/Surbiton
To go slightly off topic, why were the REPs even considered necessary? Couldn't the Weymouth trains run as a 12CIG/VEP formation with the front EMU going past Bournemouth with a 33?

I know CIGs and VEPs can work push-pull with a 33, I've seen it with my own eyes!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
The 4TC stock that operated with the REPs was second hand, converted from existing surplus Mk1 coaching stock, it was all part of the typical Southern money saving policy of the time.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Even the trailers in the REPs were converted Mark 1s, all that was "new build" in the 4REP-4TC formation were the driving motor cars.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,429
Location
S Yorks, usually
To go slightly off topic, why were the REPs even considered necessary? Couldn't the Weymouth trains run as a 12CIG/VEP formation with the front EMU going past Bournemouth with a 33?

I know CIGs and VEPs can work push-pull with a 33, I've seen it with my own eyes!

I'd guess that the SR thought that towing EMUs around off the juice would be wasteful - sort of the opposite of running diesels under the wires. By concentrating the electric motors in the parts that stay on the juice, then you've less to drag around, and you're making best use of the electric motors that you do have.
 

KiddyKid

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
61
I know CIGs and VEPs can work push-pull with a 33, I've seen it with my own eyes.


Yes they can work with both the 33/1, 73 & 74, the problem being that they were not fitted with ETH jumpers thus once off the third rail the motor generator would stop, no lights, heat or battery charging.
 

Smudger105e

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2010
Messages
1,012
Location
N 52° 53.492 W 001° 15.493
This just shows how inadequate 3rd rail is for modern traction. Most current 8-car configurations need to take more than 3200HP to give full performance.

They can draw more than 3200 from the third rail, but you have to remeber that there could be a number of units drawing from the section at the same time.

As was said, all EMUs (from the 1951 EPBs to the 1966 REP/TC stock) and the 33/1s and 73s could run together, all had compatable 27 way jumpers and westinghouse brakes (main res and train pipe).

The DEMU 27 way jumpers were set differently and were not compatable with the EMUs. The JAs (73/0s) had both jumpers, hence 27 ways on both sides of the cab. One (73005 I think) only had one on one end because of accident damage, and a JB arrangement was used.

The MLVs had vacuum brake so in theory you could have a VEP + MLV + rake of vac braked wagons.

The SUbs were withdrawn finally and all SR EMU stock was compatable, then they introduced the 455s which were not the same!
 

wimbledonpete

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2011
Messages
260
I'm sure there was a 33+4TC+4VEP+4VEP working in the evening peak - split at Basingstoke where the 33 and TC went on to Yeovil and the VEPs on to Eastleigh or Southampton/Bournemouth. Ah, the memories!
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,429
Location
S Yorks, usually
...
The SUbs were withdrawn finally and all SR EMU stock was compatable, then they introduced the 455s which were not the same!

Not quite - the Southern had the 508s first, which came in while the SUBs were still in service, so they never had everything compatible at that time.
I've a photo of 4-SUB plus 508 side-by-side in the suburban platforms at Clapham Junction, 1983 (and a 455 next to a 508 for that matter) - attached.
 

Attachments

  • N19_0009 4716 508018.jpg
    N19_0009 4716 508018.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 40
  • N19_0000 508022 5824.jpg
    N19_0000 508022 5824.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top