• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did bus drivers manually announce stops in the days before automatic announcements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc224

On Moderation
Joined
21 Jan 2022
Messages
15
Location
London
Hello, it's Marc and I'd like to take a look around in this topic area.

When there were no automatic bus stop announcements in London and other cities in the 1980s and 1990s, did the bus drivers announce the stops?

How high would you estimate the rate of bus drivers who announced the stops without being asked?

Many greetings Marc
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChilternTurbo

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2016
Messages
323
Hello, it's Marc and I'd like to take a look around in this topic area.

When there were no automatic bus stop announcements in London and other cities in the 1980s and 1990s, did the bus drivers announce the stops?

How high would you estimate the rate of bus drivers who announced the stops without being asked?

Many greetings Marc
Based on my experience of this period drivers didn't announce bus stops. You might get an 'all change' or the interior lights being switched on and off at a terminus. Passengers unfamiliar with a certain route would certainly request the driver (or indeed conductor on crew routes) to let them know when the bus got to a particular place.
 

Roger1973

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
859
Location
Berkshire
from my recollection, very few if not none of them, either in London or elsewhere.

At least some 1970s DMS type buses were fitted with internal PA systems, I'm not sure if all batches were, and I don't think that the subsequent Titan / Metrobus generation was.

The only journey I remember with it in use, I'm fairly sure it was accidental on the driver's part, as it was on all the time (on a DMS that was rapidly approaching the end of its working life) but no announcements were being made.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top