Hi all long time lurker, first time poster. You can probably guess where I’m from by my name and since I’m also a university student I do a lot of travel by rail. So reading this thread got me thinking about the Windermere branch and possible electrification and solutions to said problems.
Firstly I must say that I would sooner have any money that could possibly spent on electrification on the line used to create a passing loop to increase the frequency of the trains too every 30 minutes as opposed to the current 1tph. Id also have to say for the branch I’d like to see either 3rd rail 750V DC or 25kv OHLE used, I just think that in this current climate we should make best use of what we have as we won’t have lots of money to spend on “new” 750V DC OHLE. I would also let the branch line be run by Northern Rail after the franchises are re-drawn as I don’t believe it to be a FTPE route. So these are my ideas, all assuming a passing loop is constructed.
Hybrid 25kV
I quiet like the “hybrid” 25kV OHLE on lightweight poles idea. Firstly the line is now mainly a self contained shuttle, but like others have pointed out it does have a handful of through services to MIA. I would also wire the siding coming off the up passing loop at Oxenholme (?, have I got this right). It’s about 150m long which is just long enough to allow 2x class 323’s to be stabled there overnight (after the LM’s 323’s are transferred to NR). The 3 or 4 times daily MIA run could be carried out by a slightly longer 319 with 1st class accommodation or another DMU tagged onto their proposed BIF-MIA service. Maybe some new build 2 car EMUs based on a Class 466 design could be built?
However there are 2 major problems I foresee with this option. They are; how well would the hybrid/cheap OHLE equipment fair in the wild weather that happens in the Lake District and secondly the capacity of 323’s would be (very) underused on the shuttle service. Also what about the environmental campaigners who would complain that the OHLE gear was spoiling the natural landscape (not my opinion as I think electric trains would be better than diesel). On the bright side even using the most expensive pricings by HSTEd it would only cost about £7m to do the entire branch line.
750V 3rd rail
The 3rd rail idea is an interesting one. It would not spoil the natural landscape and for the most part the line is very well segregated meaning that risk of electrocution is lower. However the disadvantage is that in bad weather or deep snow the 3rd rail may be iced/snowed over, but we could always modify the collecting gear to allow us to operate either a bottom contact, or covered top contact system. I’m guessing the cost of laying a 3rd rail DC system can’t cost that much more than the 750v DC OHLE?
http://www.railway-technical.com/3rd002.gif
We could then run a couple of 456’s or 466’s for a half hourly service on the line, with still good capacity. Can the 508/7 be run in just a 2 car formation? If so id even take a couple of them on the line and therefore share large overhauls and maintenance at Merseyrail depots. If the 25kV OHLE was extended from the mainline to cover the entire length of platform 3 then we could still run 3 MIA trains a day using 1 single Northern Rail 319. Again we could lay 3rd rail into the siding off the up-line passing loop or re-lay the short section of track that once stood where the new car park is to allow us to create an overnight stabling point.
I think that both these methods could be employed both quickly and cheaply and could over enhance the line and service provide. Especially since it’s just been reported that the pollution levels in Kendal have yet again risen and have broken UK air quality regulation, a more frequent service may tempt more local people back to the train instead of using the car.
So could any of the 2 above suggestions actually be employed on the line and more importantly how likely could it be especially since the government is now offering £5bn for public infrastructure projects. I suppose if it’s cheap enough (I’m not sure how much other things would cost like turning the siding into a proper stabling point, any info on costings such as cost of laying track or buying equipment etc would be very much appreciated) it has a very good chance of happening.
Sorry for the mad ramblings, hope they make sense
