• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DfT change of Terms and Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefferson

New Member
Joined
4 Dec 2025
Messages
3
Location
Manchester
I’m thinking of moving from the Fire Service to the Rail Service. I know terms and conditions are very good at the minute in Rail but now DfT have their hands on the industry, I’m concerned it’ll all change just like it has in Fire.
Has anybody got any inside track information on this, specifically regarding pensions and hours?
Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,898
Current T&C and pensions/hours will vary wildly dependant on the company you're at.

As to what the future holds who knows? All I know is the unions will fight to retain T&C's...
 

jefferson

New Member
Joined
4 Dec 2025
Messages
3
Location
Manchester
Current T&C and pensions/hours will vary wildly dependant on the company you're at.

As to what the future holds who knows? All I know is the unions will fight to retain T&C's...
It will most probably and hopefully be Northern Rail. Thanks for your response
 

StandFromUnder

New Member
Joined
22 Oct 2015
Messages
3
I'm also in the same boat, escaping the government, only to end up.... back with the government.
Having seen how they destroyed the FS over the last few decades, getting their hands on trains is highly concerning.

The Unions may well be strong, but the government will change the type of people you recruit whilst at the same time making the sector less of a job for life.
The effect, will over time, will weaken the Unions as the newer people, won't care as much, as they won't plan on staying much longer than 5-10 years at best.

This is exactly what they have done to the FS. "Modernisation" was basically demolishing Union strength from within.
 
Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
Pensions and hours will vary wildly dependent on your role, company (and even varies within companies), length of service etc.

The railway industry has fairly strong unions (RMT and ASLEF) and whilst no doubt some change is on the horizon, harmonisation and change has been attempted before which can be described as only partially successful (at best). What these changes may be is highly speculative at this point. There are still quirks that exist which haven't been resolved since privatisation, which was now 30 years ago.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,910
Location
East Anglia
I wouldn’t worry too much mate. As traincrew our unions are very strong and very protective over such things. The chance of any change that to the detriment of our T&Cs are very slim indeed. Look at it this way. During the 1990s there was fear that the privatised industry wouldn’t tolerate the agreements we had back then, but in reality it just got better as a whole especially when it came to pay thanks to the competitive nature it created. Changing any of that now will be just so complex.
 

jefferson

New Member
Joined
4 Dec 2025
Messages
3
Location
Manchester
I like the positivity. I can see where you’re coming from regarding the complexity of trying to streamline and govern all the different T&Cs. Fingers crossed nothing will change too much, for the worse obviously, in the next 15yrs.
I’m hoping the pension works out better than the fire pension too.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,910
Location
East Anglia
I like the positivity. I can see where you’re coming from regarding the complexity of trying to streamline and govern all the different T&Cs. Fingers crossed nothing will change too much, for the worse obviously, in the next 15yrs.
I’m hoping the pension works out better than the fire pension too.
I am so sure it will. Nobody I know currently employed on the railway shows any sign of concern.
 

Roger1973

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
859
Location
Berkshire
Without knowing the specifics (and subject to the disclaimer that I'm not a lawyer or anything like that)

From what i can see (I'm not a railway worker either but considering it) the franchises moving in to public ownership is a change of ownership of the existing company, so that doesn't even count as a change of employer, so pay / terms + conditions don't change. (nor does 'continuous service' for things like redundancy pay entitlement.)

When staff are transferred from one employer to another, there is law (it's called TUPE if you want to research) which means employees keep existing terms and conditions and pay rates and continuous service. (the law is slightly fuzzy round the edges especially when it comes to detail, though, and it doesn't cover pension schemes.)

Employers can seek to change terms and conditions, irrespective of TUPE transfer, but can't just impose it with no consultation - and in a unionised environment, not without a fight. In extreme cases, some employers will do the 'fire and rehire' thing, but not sure that would get through on the railways, and there are suggestions that the current government intends to make this illegal.

There is an urban myth that TUPE protection lasts for a fixed amount of time, but this isn't law. Although the sooner after a transfer that new employer seeks to change conditions, the easier it is to argue that it's a direct result of the transfer.

Others will have direct experience of what's happened when rail franchises have changed hands. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a mix of staff on current franchise holder's terms + conditions, some on previous franchise holder's terms + conditions, and a shrinking number of staff still on BR terms + conditions. (I've dealt with this in other lines of work.)

Some employers will try and encourage TUPE staff to go on to new employers terms and conditions, sometimes with a one-off payment to 'buy out' some conditions. Again on the railways, I would expect the unions to try and 'level up' rather than 'level down' - different grades of staff will be in a stronger position than others.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,910
Location
East Anglia
Without knowing the specifics (and subject to the disclaimer that I'm not a lawyer or anything like that)

From what i can see (I'm not a railway worker either but considering it) the franchises moving in to public ownership is a change of ownership of the existing company, so that doesn't even count as a change of employer, so pay / terms + conditions don't change. (nor does 'continuous service' for things like redundancy pay entitlement.)

When staff are transferred from one employer to another, there is law (it's called TUPE if you want to research) which means employees keep existing terms and conditions and pay rates and continuous service. (the law is slightly fuzzy round the edges especially when it comes to detail, though, and it doesn't cover pension schemes.)

Employers can seek to change terms and conditions, irrespective of TUPE transfer, but can't just impose it with no consultation - and in a unionised environment, not without a fight. In extreme cases, some employers will do the 'fire and rehire' thing, but not sure that would get through on the railways, and there are suggestions that the current government intends to make this illegal.

There is an urban myth that TUPE protection lasts for a fixed amount of time, but this isn't law. Although the sooner after a transfer that new employer seeks to change conditions, the easier it is to argue that it's a direct result of the transfer.

Others will have direct experience of what's happened when rail franchises have changed hands. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a mix of staff on current franchise holder's terms + conditions, some on previous franchise holder's terms + conditions, and a shrinking number of staff still on BR terms + conditions. (I've dealt with this in other lines of work.)

Some employers will try and encourage TUPE staff to go on to new employers terms and conditions, sometimes with a one-off payment to 'buy out' some conditions. Again on the railways, I would expect the unions to try and 'level up' rather than 'level down' - different grades of staff will be in a stronger position than others.
In your final comment, yes, that has been seen to be the case with managerial and clerical but I have not known that apply to any traincrew grades. These tend to remain with all that is best with T&Cs only giving into slight changes for better financial gain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top