• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Devon day rover 31/12/16

Which gala should I attend?


  • Total voters
    8
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Saturday 31st for one final Devon day £10 rover, to test new camera
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

djpontrack

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2011
Messages
1,025
Location
Morecambe
Saturday 31st for one final Devon day £10 rover, to test new camera ??????.

Hoping to be able to write report as I've enjoyed all you guys posts ??????

I hope you have a good day out. It's a lovely part of the country. What are your aims apart from photography? Are you after HSTs/units or visiting new stations?
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
HSTs mainly, hoping for 43185/43002. And Paignton for Dartmouth steam railway for standard 4
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
30/12/16

After a full day's work I head to bishops lydeard station on the West Somerset railway and manage to get there in time to meet railway author Freddie Huxtable who was signing copies of his new book on the history of the long closed Barnstaple to Taunton line. I purchase my copy and head home to read it. Interesting book which brings back memories of my late grandfather who was a signalman on the line and later on the GWML.

31/12/16

I wake up rather later than normal being it's a rest day and slowly make my way to Tiverton Parkway and after parking, head to the ticket office. Before I could speak and ask for a Devon day rover ticket, the man behind the desk says £10. I confirm if this was for day rover ticket and paid my £10. In a rush to get the next train I Head to platform 2, for the next service to Plymouth I start thinking how on earth he knew I wanted a Devon day rover ticket in the first place, I hardly look like a trainspotter. A GWR HST pulls in and I get on and find a seat for the trip to Plymouth as I want to pass Laira and try to photo any other class 43s in the depot.

The train approachs Totnes and I wonder about getting off for a visit to the south Devon railway in the hope of seeing a steam train but with it being a quiet time of the season and winter timetable I decide against it. We head towards Plymouth and I jump out seat and head to a window ready to photo as we pass. I get some good shots of a few HSTs and the resident class 08 on shunting duties.

After a short stay at Plymouth I board another HST intending to head back to Exeter st davids, arriving at Newton abbot I decide to get off and change for the Torbay line, a pacer soon comes in and it's off to Paignton. On arrival to Paignton I head to the Dartmouth steam railway as I wanted to see the standard 4 that had just returned to steam after over haul.

(No idea how to insert pictures??)

After a ice cream and chips, it's back on another pacer this time getting off at dawlish for another Ice cream (well the new year diet starts 2moro). I purchase a take away cream tea for mother and get back on the train back to Exeter, after a short stay on the platforms I head home as it was wanting to get back to see in the new year.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5585.JPG
    IMG_5585.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5583.JPG
    IMG_5583.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5582.JPG
    IMG_5582.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
They're well known for mind reading in Tiverton. ;)
Did you get your cream tea from Gays Creamery in Dawlish? That's the red shop on the left of the road near the river. They do good stuff in there
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
They're well known for mind reading in Tiverton. ;)
Did you get your cream tea from Gays Creamery in Dawlish? That's the red shop on the left of the road near the river. They do good stuff in there

Yes I did but I was not wanting to say I had some gays cream in dawlish.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes I did but I was not wanting to say I had some gays cream in dawlish.


Lovely shop, nice selection of goods, ice cream is lush and pasties tasty.
 

djpontrack

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2011
Messages
1,025
Location
Morecambe
Sounds like a good trip there mate. I use to love travelling around Devon and Cornwall when I lived in the south but I've not been there since I've moved to Lancashire.
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Is there a easy way to insert pictures in posts?? With out link URL

https://www.flickr.com/gp/147741195@N08/4FP0gv
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sounds like a good trip there mate. I use to love travelling around Devon and Cornwall when I lived in the south but I've not been there since I've moved to Lancashire.

It was, never intended to do much just wanted to get out on the rails one last time of the year.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,810
Location
West of Andover
If you click on the picture itself, the bottom right of the screen should be some icons (a Star, right pointing arrow & a downwards pointing arrow with a line underneath). If you hit the right pointing arrow it will bring up the Share option. Select BB Code, and the size you want and it will generate a line like this

[url$$=https://flic.kr/p/R6KLdU][img$$]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/580/32226602692_9af6a45ce6_n.jpg[/img$$][/url$$][url$$=https://flic.kr/p/R6KLdU]IMG_5583[$$/url] by [url$$=https://www.flickr.com/photos/147741195@N08/]LEE WHYTE[$$/url], on Flickr

(without the $ signs)

Hope that helps :)
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Is it possible to merge threads. I should've used this one but couldn't change title
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top