• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deutschland Ticket on the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2020
Messages
203
Location
Inverurie
Has anyone here used a D-ticket on the HSB? I know they are valid on the HSB Network (except Schierke to Brocken) but I'm confused by this statement on the HSB Website - "HSB cannot read external e-tickets or chip cards. Please have digital proof of your purchase of a Deutschlandticket or an equivalent, valid ticket ready ."

What constitutes digital proof - is it the ticket in Google wallet for example or something else?

Thanks for any help!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wandering Pom

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2024
Messages
163
Location
Cambridge
Yes, I have, in June 2024. I had a D-ticket supplied via the vendor's app on my smartphone, including a QR code. This was checked several times as I went Wernigerode - Eisfelder Talmuhle - Quedlinburg, and accepted without question. I'm guessing they scanned the QR code, though I can't remember specifically.
 

dutchflyer

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
1,550
It may even be a thing of the past-or partly. It is as above: that QR code on your fone is the most used and now even also most widely able to check proof. Believe it or not, but even nowadays quite a few local buslines are unable to factually check if you did not fiddle with it- as for so long it was uncertain if this cheap offer would keep on. Now that at least for a few years it has been made certain, investment in card-readers etc are done. And quite a few Verbünde are now also starting to streamline their wide offer in old-style fares and tickets. Also-on a bit wider scale, in about half of all cases one will also be asked to show ID- for a continental thats just a ID-card, EU-regulated.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,524
Location
Leuven
I am rather surprised that they cannot read chip cards as they are very common in Germany.
I'm also surprised. I'm also inclined to think that it's their problem if they can't read one of the agreed ticket formats, and not the passenger's problem.
 

cornishjohn

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2011
Messages
169
I'm not sure what an "external e-ticket" actually is - perhaps a paper print out? I think the whole point of a chip card is that QR codes are irrelevant, like Oyster over here. I'm GUESSING what they mean is an electronic receipt/email confirming the purchase (and apparently not a paper receipt, and certainly not a bank statement or similar). But last time I tried, it seemed impossible for a non-resident to obtain a chip-card version of the D-ticket anyway. (The chip card also only seems to be available via a small handful of providers).

I don't think the OP has much to worry about as long as they are going to use an app. At present I see HSB say they cannot offer the D-ticket subscription themselves, so you HAVE to choose a different provider.

This was checked several times as I went Wernigerode - Eisfelder Talmuhle - Quedlinburg, and accepted without question. I'm guessing they scanned the QR code, though I can't remember specifically.
Wandering Pom describes very much the experience I would expect. Personally I have the Vehrkersverbund Rhein Moselle smartphone app version of the D-ticket. All DB ticket inspections have involved a scan. All bus drivers have always just waved me on without a scan, including buses in Bavaria which are way off-patch for VRM

.
I am rather surprised that they cannot read chip cards as they are very common in Germany.
All german bus operators I have dealt with offer an app, and give QR/Aztec codes even for single tickets via the app.

I'm also inclined to think that it's their problem if they can't read one of the agreed ticket formats, and not the passenger's problem.
I'd be careful here - I don't think HSB are required to accept the D-ticket at all. They may be doing it out of the kindness of their (shareholder's) hearts.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,524
Location
Leuven
I'd be careful here - I don't think HSB are required to accept the D-ticket at all. They may be doing it out of the kindness of their (shareholder's) hearts.
They might not be required, but now they've decided to accept the D-ticket, they must do so until they change their t&c. Also note that they don't say you must be have something else than a chipcard, they just kindly ask you to have something else, so it's not an obligation.
 

D1024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2020
Messages
203
Location
Inverurie
OP here - thought I would update based on my experience this week, it may be useful for future travellers.

I had purchased a one-month Deutschland Ticket from Zanzer as suggested by the Man in Seat61 - no need to worry about cancelling a subscription. This ticket downloaded into my Google Wallet on my phone and was accepted without hesitation on the HSB (not Brocken obviously) - I just had to show ID to onboard staff who usually asked me which station I was travelling to. No scanning of ticket involved just a visual inspection. I did one railcar ride from Eisfelder Talmühle to Nordhausen and the ticket wasn't checked at all whilst on a service bus from Drei Annen Hohne to Wernigerode I had to scan it. (Tip - hold the phone about 10cm away from the scanner!)
 

NeakPed

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
93
Location
uk
I used one purchased via the ‘Mopla’ app on Thursday for a trip from Quedlinburg to Wernigerode via Eisfelder.
3 ticket checks & only 1 of them took more than a cursory glance at the ticket - that was to check the validity dates.
 

Fragezeichnen

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
437
Location
Somewhere
I'm not sure what an "external e-ticket" actually is - perhaps a paper print out? I think the whole point of a chip card is that QR codes are irrelevant, like Oyster over here. I'm GUESSING what they mean is an electronic receipt/email confirming the purchase (and apparently not a paper receipt, and certainly not a bank statement or similar). But last time I tried, it seemed impossible for a non-resident to obtain a chip-card version of the D-ticket anyway. (The chip card also only seems to be available via a small handful of providers).

I'd be careful here - I don't think HSB are required to accept the D-ticket at all. They may be doing it out of the kindness of their (shareholder's) hearts.

I am one of the few with an chip card D-Ticket, though just like the Oyster you can't tell what's actually loaded on the card without scanning it. I travelled on the HSB recently and on both occasions I was checked I offered to show the order receipt and was told it wasn't necessary. However, they also weren't equipped to read it and find out if my card was valid or not:lol:. So it seems like it's not an issue in practice even if they understandably can't officially say so.

The HSB receives public transport subsidy for running the non-Brocken parts of the network, so as far as I understand it, accepting the D-Ticket is mandatory. They could however charge a 'historic service surchage' as the Baltic coast railways do.

The "shareholders", incidentally, are the local governments of the areas the HSB runs through.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top