• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Detained, threatend, overcharged, refused travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

streamliner

On Moderation
Joined
24 Aug 2019
Messages
9
Location
UK
Hello

Thank you for interest in reading my page. I made a short and long version.

In short : I had a legal permit to travel, I arrive at the destination, Trapped/Detained at turn styles, threaten with fine if I refuse to be overcharged, and blamed, I eventually pay up to gain my freedom. On the way out, the booking office say I was indeed over charged. So I complain at the turn styles and ask for something to be done, they offer a refund but the supervisor of the turn-styles still claims it was my fault for not paying at departure station, I refuse that blame again. Without warning he tells me to get out with no refund and orders Security over, who then bulldozed me out of the station. I am not allowed travel home and with no refund! Trapped in town many miles from home.

I cant post the long version I think maybe because I am a new user and it was too long?
so I had to delete it. shall I try below in sections??

Is an admin here who may help ?

Thank you.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

streamliner

On Moderation
Joined
24 Aug 2019
Messages
9
Location
UK
long version in sections.
part 1.


Longer version

I suffer from social anxiety anyway, my heart was beating ten to the dozen just walking up to the turn-styles before any nonsense. ( side note: now, after the incident ,because it is a station I do at times need to go through..I fear to see them again.)

When I travel on a train I do not understand peak or off peak fully. There is no information
to read at the station or on the train that I can see or on my ticket.but I will pay every time
at first opportunity!

Me and my family always call it cheap fare and high fare. It is just what we have done
for a long time and never had too much trouble at all, we love the train.

If you do not mind. I would like to not give my location time stamp detail just yet as I am very worried.

Here is what happened:

The departure station was closed.

The rail network computer system said my fare would be a cheap fare at that time. (off peak fare was the computers suggested option!)

So I was very confident indeed that I would pay that cheap fare if I travelled at that time so I decide to board. ( I have, of course, quadrupole checked this since to be so)

The permit to travel machine was on.I managed after great worry and stress to finally get a smaller denomination in and managed to tear the ticket out ( very tough to do)!! I initially tried to pay the full amount, it does not like to take coins. it spits them all out. I was very lucky.

I am legal! (Thankfully, I had a coin that worked. This could have been so much worse)

So I am on the train, no worries. Expecting the low fare, no doubt what so ever.

Longer version Part 2

The ticket says first opportunity or within 2 hours, The conductor is not along the carriages and my stop is close, so I decide to pay at the destination station.

I arrive and I ask the turn-style man if I can pay at the booking office as I have a permit. He pointed me to a booth. The fare assistant (retailer) decided that I had to pay the higher fare (peak fare)

I said that it does not seem right and asked if I could have the cheaper fare.

She said no it is peak time

I said the computer gave the option of a cheap fare on my departure, but I had to buy the permit as I had to use cash.

She refused and refused and refused…and again.. again. It was like a tennis match rally. As I said it should be a cheaper fare.

I knew I was detained and could not leave either way, not by train or outside. I was trapped it was like prison.

She threatened me with a fine.

The supervisor (of the turn-style area only) had also came over and tried to protect the retailers decision to say that it was a higher peak fare for me, that he uses my station all the time and that I should have paid at that station before I left and that it was all my fault, that I should have paid at my first opportunity and that the permit machine is always 'On' and useless and that I should have paid cash at the computer terminal.

I know the computer does not take coins or notes ( i a have checked), utter nonsense. They were like children at school caught doing something wrong with the ability to fine people and give court action and so forth. So I give up in the end as they were not going to give me my low fare.

It was awful.

Longer version part 3

So I paid the overpriced fare (peak fare over 50% more) through fear of fines or maybe police action? i didn’t know what to expect.

I then walk out and decided to ask at the box office for support….

Within a matter of 5 -10 seconds he tells me that I should at that time only be charged off peak for my train station return and I should have a refund, but I do have to go back and ask at the turn styles for it as it is a different system.

I ask him to come with me,as i was worried, but he is on shift.

I go back and state they over charged me and wrongfully threatened me with a fine. They apologise (sort of reluctantly) They offer a refund quickly (they didn’t check with the booking office, however, for some reason they believed me this time)

But I said that a refund and an apology by itself really is not adequate.

I ask what are they going to do about this nonsense!!

I asked for their names and they refused.

The supervisor (of that small area) said we have said sorry,you’ll get your refund that is enough. But he tried again to push blame on me stating that it was my fault for not paying at the departure station.

I said It certainly is not my fault.

He said it was, that I should have paid at the station.

I again refused this blame (I had purchased a permit, he knew that)

And then with no warning at all he said for me to get out and called security to force me out.

I did not swear or shout. But I was firm in my belief that I was correct ...and the booking office was correct...and their computer was also correct. That this was terrible and unfair. I asked for my refund before I should leave. He refused and told me to get out and the security guard forced me out the station.

Whilst being bulldozed out, I asked how would I get home? Can I come home later on and use my overpriced ticket? The guard said no! Get out! He did not hit me, but barged me outward toward the gate.

Sorry if this was a bit long. But it really was a very long drawn out experience. Hence I put it in brief up the top.

Thank you for any advice you may offer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Can you clarify what ticket, pass, or permit you held; and what stations you were travelling between. Thanks.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Despite the long length of the above posts, there is insufficient information to comment on this.

We need to know details of the journey made, what ticket(s) you expected to be able to purchase, and what ticket(s) you were requested to purchase.

If you can provide the necessary information in a concise and clear format that you like be helpful.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Message received, if you give me the information I can give an honest and accurate answer as to who was right; you can then decide how to proceed.

You also have the options to seek assistance from Citizens Advice and you can refer the matter to the Rail Ombudsman.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top