AlbertBeale
Established Member
The comment was saying you were using the rhetoric the right wing, oil lobby think tanks also use (like the IEA). And you were.
In fact, the allegation was not simply that I had a similar opinion to those organisations about the value of HS2, but that I was associated with the organisations. Eg - "...so please forgive my skepticism as to your protests against any association with discredited extreme right-wing causes." That's saying more than just that I and some right-wing groups say something similar about a particular issue.
I have no association with them, even if, over one issue, one of my conclusions is similar to theirs. Hence my point that I would like the libel to be withdrawn.
In any case, I hardly think that a perspective such as mine (ie that the current dangers are such that carbon emissions have to be curtailed now, which obviously includes urgently stopping oil extraction) really has much in common with the oil lobby anyway! So the criticism of me being made isn't even sensible on that level - hence my understanding that the criticism was a smear tactic against someone with a different opinion.
I fully agree the climate crisis is critical, and carbon emissions need to go down fast. That means using all levers available to reduce emissions, including in transport.
But that is the point. HS2 emissions are actually relatively tiny and HS2 can and should play a big role in reducing UK transport emissions.
And looking at transport emissions more broadly, there's two things we can do to get them down quickly:
- Less Transport (so less people/goods moving, or over shorter distances)
- Change transport over to more sustainable modes, moving them to the most sustainable mode suitable for the specific transport needs (Electric car, lorry, van / Electric bus, tram, metro / the Railway, remember the electric railway is by far the most sustainable mode out there)
I think both of these are necessary to some extend. However, in order to achieve the second one, it is essential that the railway capacity increases. So if we weren't building HS2, how will we shift transport to more sustainable modes? The only realistic answer to that question is we won't. And we really can't afford that in the climate crisis.
And the upfront emissions do matter, which is why HS2 has taken a range of steps to reduce the emissions from construction, as reported upthread.
The upfront emissions argument can be dangerous: all things that are essential to fighting the climate crisis have upfront emissions (think solar panels, wind turbines, home insulation), but if that prevented us from us from deploying them, then our emissions wouldn't drop. So we need to consider what the best options are to reduce both operational and upfront emissions, and HS2 is a key part of our steps to reduce emissions from transport
I agree with a lot of the principles set out here - but it's a matter of judgement as to timing, priorities, urgency, etc, and what's environmentally necessary even if it seems politically difficult. And my judgement as to where that has to lead, policy-wise, is different from yours.
