Apologies: this is probably a "suck eggs" type question but I haven't been anywhere near the WCML since pre-Covid.
I've noticed that the Avanti service from Euston to Birmingham has become distinctly irregular - the most irregular I ever remember it. In the 80s I recall there was an even-interval 30 min service from Euston to Birmingham and more recently it had become a 20-min service.
However now, there is an xx16 and xx40 out of Euston and the latter (more limited-stop) almost catches up the former. It's similar in the up direction.
How come they are now unable to operate an even-interval service? One might think a 30 min even interval service would be possible. Obviously there's a reason but intrigued to know what it is.
By contrast the LNWR timetable (the 'first class' discussion on LNWR prompted me to look at its timetable) is a very even-interval, regular timetable - more than it's been for years (and they still manage to run a good number of peak extras which is refreshing in the current climate). One might think that might help Avanti to run a 30-min interval regular service.
I've noticed that the Avanti service from Euston to Birmingham has become distinctly irregular - the most irregular I ever remember it. In the 80s I recall there was an even-interval 30 min service from Euston to Birmingham and more recently it had become a 20-min service.
However now, there is an xx16 and xx40 out of Euston and the latter (more limited-stop) almost catches up the former. It's similar in the up direction.
How come they are now unable to operate an even-interval service? One might think a 30 min even interval service would be possible. Obviously there's a reason but intrigued to know what it is.
By contrast the LNWR timetable (the 'first class' discussion on LNWR prompted me to look at its timetable) is a very even-interval, regular timetable - more than it's been for years (and they still manage to run a good number of peak extras which is refreshing in the current climate). One might think that might help Avanti to run a 30-min interval regular service.