• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby In The 1980's

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
G'day everyone,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to provide answers to the following questions.

Up until the recent extention of Etches Park there was a brick built building with doors at either end on one of the tracks opposite the running lines / RTC. During its later years it housed two class 08's (I don't have the numbers), I guess to protect them from the elements. I've always assumed that the building was from the steam era but I would love to know how the building managed to survive well into the 21st century and what its original purpose was.

Between Derby station and the junction for Little Eaton and the Denby branch there was a connection to a local scrap yard, the name of which escapes me but which is still in existance. I would be interested to know when the scrap yard was last served by rail freight and when the private siding was removed from the mainline. Any information on trip workings to serve the siding would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, where the new signalling centre is located there were once sidings that served a local fuel depot, which I think might have been owned by Charringtons. I would be interested to know when the depot stopped being served by rail.

Any help / memories would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top