• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby-Dawlish Splitting tickets? Thursday day trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
I want to get the XC HST to exeter(then get a unit to Dawlish) there and back, so I have tried splitting at Birmingham, Cheltenham Bristol, Taunton and Exeter, with a Priv it works out to £21.90.Does anyone know of a cheaper way?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
splitting at Cheltenham and Totnes worked well for me
saved £20 as the Cheltenham - Totnes is priced by FGW therefore its miles cheaper

though that was with Off Peak Returns which obviously arn't available on PRIV

Are you a current rail employee? Can't you just Go for free?
as ive never known any of the people I know with Non-BR PRIVs to actually pay at all

Some have even got on only intending to go a Short Distance and have been convinced to stay on by the train manager telling them they can go sit in First Class and ride all the way to where ever the train is going for free
 
Last edited:

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
Yes I am a railway employee, there are some guards which wont let you travel for free, so I always buy a priv ticket.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,480
Location
Yorkshire
Are you a current rail employee? Can't you just Go for free?
as ive never known any of the people I know with Non-BR PRIVs to actually pay at all
Some guards would apply the rules correctly to the letter though and insist on a ticket being purchased, if ticket issuing facilities for PRIV tickets were available then they could ask for the full Anytime fare to be paid.
 

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
Thanks Yorkie thats why I always buy one before I get on the train if Facilities are available
 

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
That's fair enough, it's better for you to buy tickets in that case

incidently have any Penalty Fare Collector ever [(tried)] to charge Non-BR Priv holders who have no ticket?
 

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
I Normally have a ticket be it split ones if its a long journey, if its a short one I will ask the Train manager or guard.. no harm in asking
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top