• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment in Bern today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083

On Thursday morning, a goods train derailed in Bern, killing one railway worker.

Unfortunately, I can only find an article in German. R.I.P to the one deceased. Swiss railways are still very safe in spite of this tragic incident.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
7,598
Location
Torbay
Switzerland still has a lot of wagonload traffic with much shunting involved. Being a railway shunter, operating hand brakes, connecting and disconnecting couplers and brake hoses etc often on moving vehicles in myriad yards across the country used to be one of the most dangerous occupations in the UK I recall in the steam age, rivalling mining and deep sea fishing I believe. This seems not to be one of those typical shunting tragedies where staff were trapped between vehicles or tripped next to a moving train. The vehicle left the rails, tipped and partially shed its load. The unfortunate individual was hit by the wreckage, either a bit of wagon or load. The big question is what caused the derailment in the first place.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top