• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment at Bristol 24/03/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
I'm currently on the 0730 Cardiff to Portsmouth service going to Bristol. The conductor on board has just said that the 0700 XC Cardiff to Manchester was cancelled due to a derailed train at Barton Hill.

He said that the 0730 will be extremely busy due to the 0700 being cancelled. The 0730 is formed of five coaches (150+158), which is already busy at the best of times, yet somehow we must try and get on another 4 carriages worth of people from the cancelled XC into the current 5. So that's effectively 9 coaches of people being pushed into 5. This will be fun!

National Rail have stated that the Weston-s-Mare to Bristol Parkway service will terminate at Temple Meads and that XC services through Bristol may be cancelled at short notice.

Does anyone have any further information on what has happened? I believe it is due to an incident at Barton Hill because the twitter hash tag for this particular disruption is #bartonhill.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
As you say, a minor derailment at Barton Hill depot. XC 221129 is the unit involved I believe, leading bogie has left the track from a picture I have seen.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,197
From the messages iv had from nr its also damaged some signal cables and has meant that the up and down filton relief lines are blocked. Bristol parkway terminators are being turned at temple meads to thin out services on filton bank.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
BjfGP4xCQAA8o2C.jpg:large
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,533
The Cardiff Central service I was on earlier terminated at Bath Spa, and passengers for stations to Bristol Temple Meads and after oddly had to change over to platform 2 (the London bound platform) to continue their journey! I believe it was an issue with train crew being displaced due to the issue near Lawrence Hill.
 

jw95

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
24
Two images passing the derailment on the way to Bristol Temple Meads today.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 230

jw95

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
24
First on the 11:30 Cardiff to Portsmouth; second 15:54 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff. Sorry for the bad rotation, currently on my phone.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 274

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,152
Location
Cornwall
I assume from the photo's that the train was heading away from the position of the photographer or from left to right and that the hand points it came off on are not in view towards the Temple Meads end of the depot.

Anyone confirm?
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
This picture seems to show just how, er, off course it was. Reported as re-railed now.

_73771278_de27-1.jpg

BBC
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
5Z55 could be the unit involved, but I see there's also a 5Z29 scheduled VSTP for 2200 tonight to Barton Under Needwood too. Could one, or both (?), be trapped units that were stuck in the depot? I don't know, just a thought.
 

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England
Hi all,

I went for a bit of a nose this afternoon. Looking down from St. Philips Causeway (the bridge immediately north of Barton Hill depot) I could see that the derailment had trapped 4 more XC units in the depot. I gather that the relief lines heading out of Bristol TM were also closed and this cut the number of tracks available towards Lawrence Hill & Filton Abbeywood from 4 tracks to 2. I also heard on the radio that some damage had been caused to signalling equipment. Several cancellations occurred during the day while some FGW and other XC trains were delayed to varying degrees.

While I was in the small public park next to where the lead car of 5P00 ended up - which was how I got the number 221129 - I saw the power car in question move at 1730hrs this evening from the derailment site back towards Barton Hill depot but I am not sure if the unit went back in under its own power or whether it was towed. Therefore the earlier mentioned 1715 Barton Hill to Barton under Needwood can't be the same set.

I have to get the 0754 Severn Beach to Bristol TM tomorrow morning (Tuesday 25th) and I hope the lines will all be back open. The 0754 SB - BTM, STA 0832, arrived at 0851 into BTM this morning but I was having a long weekend and wasn't on it.

RTT for Bristol Temple Meads today, 24th March:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/BRI/2014/03/24/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

HTIOI,
Dave
 
Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
Oh fabulous, 5P00 then forms 1P00, the 0519 to Cardiff, which then forms 1M25 (the 0700 Cardiff to Manchester), which is the train I was supposed to get this morning!

Naughty 221129 for getting drunk and falling off the rails! :lol:

No in fairness Cardiff to Bristol services weren't too badly delayed actually, although unfortunately many of the Bristol to Manchester XC services were cancelled.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
As you say, a minor derailment at Barton Hill depot. XC 221129 is the unit involved I believe, leading bogie has left the track from a picture I have seen.

I just realised I answered my own question!

Wow, didn't realise how badly derailed it was! Hope the driver or crew weren't injured.
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Interesting video. I am sure I was not alone in half expecting the big hand from the sky to help out.
I presume the unit will be given a thorough exam. What sort of damage might it have suffered?
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
A question for drivers here. When the rear car of a unit derails at slow speed like this, how quickly do you notice?
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
Looking at the photo, and how out of line the rear car seems to be, I'd imagine fairly quickly if it managed to split one of the brake pipes.
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,662
So did XC have enough Voyagers run trains today? I see no extra HSTs were out. Just the usual three whilst Dawlish is closed at the moment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top